calling all clarinets!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tradgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tradgirl »

Hey everyone!
From a recent I made, I was shocked to find that many more whistle/flute players are actually ex-clarinet players. So, the whole I wasted this whole 6 lines was to ask how many have or still are playing clarinet. You can't deny it!! Just give in to your life long talent!!!
"Everyone has the right to be stupid. But you're abusing the priviledge."
MarkCC

Post by MarkCC »

I still play my clarinet. Although I play whistle or flute a lot more lately.

-Mark
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Nope ~ no longer play. Sold mine after high school to the kid down the street.... At times, I wished I hadn't done that, though....
Mary
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, I've played flute for most of my life, but was recently given an old wooden clarinet that I'm slowly learning to play.

I like the warm dark resonance of its sound...fact it, there is a similarity between its sound and that of the wooden flutes I love so much. (And polymer flutes, too, of course!...)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Ron

Post by Ron »

I played clarinet (and alto sax) from 6-10th grade, but haven't played since. I often wish I had time to play tenor and soprano sax, being a big Coltrane fan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ron on 2002-10-19 10:12 ]</font>
tt327

Post by tt327 »

Yep, I'm an ex-clarinetist, too. Still have mine, though I haven't played in nearly 15 years (about the time I took up the whistle and Irish music--imagine that).I was a seroius player, with a masters degree in performance (a long time ago now).

Someday I'll sell them I guess. I'll have to fund a flute!

Tim
computer-mom

Post by computer-mom »

I started clarinet in 4th grade and played it continuously until I graduated from high school. In my adult life, I've had several periods where I picked it up again for a while, most recently 9 or 10 years ago. Although I haven't played it more than once or twice since my daughter was born 7 years ago, I don't consider myself an ex-clarinetist, as I hope to pick it up again when my schedule permits. In the meantime, yes, I enjoy playing an instrument that doesn't require a reed.
pandscarr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

slightly off-topic... but I didn't think oboe players should be excluded!:)

I moved onto the oboe from the flute when I was 12 - and played oboe until I was about 19... but all that fiddling about making reeds was too much to keep going at university.

after a gap of 30 years, I'm really enjoying playing the flute again!

pamela
Pywacket

Post by Pywacket »

I am enjoying the best of three worlds. I have several pennywhistles, several bamboo flutes, a bamboo alto saxophone and a bamboo clarinet. I got my bamboo flutes, bamboo sax and clarinet from Erik the Flute Maker.

I like playing the bamboo sax and bamboo clarinet because the fingerings are the same as the pennywhistle.

Craig
MkN

Post by MkN »

I used to play the clarinet also. I stopped playing it when I got my flute. I always had trouble with that thing, I got sick of having to get it repaired. Besides, I like the flute miuch better.
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've been repairing Clarinets and decide to take it up. I have a Albert system Clarinet, which I bought for good deal on Ebay and changed all the threaded tenons to cork. I'm playing Albert system because it is so popular in Klezmer music. I also like the simplicity of it.

I played trumpet in High School. I also have a Conn 'Boehm system' clarinet, a Gemeinhardt Flute, circular mellophone, Oboe, several of my own flutes and whistles. The collection continues to grow.
gasping george

Post by gasping george »

I kept my 50+ year old student clarinet, had it repadded and resprung about 15 years ago in hopes of getting back into it. Quickly lost interest but held on to it in the vain hope one of my nephews might give it a try. Now I want to sell it, but am slightly perplexed that an instrument with about a zillion holes, keys and moving parts is worth 10% of the price of a high end wooden flute with only six finger holes.

By the way, from the time I picked up my first whistle six years ago, I have been playing at least every other day. In contrast, when I was trying to revive my clarinet I was lucky to get out it once a week. I guess it's a combination of loving trad, easily access to the music and other players, and the superficial simplicity of trad tunes and the keyless flute.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gasping george on 2003-01-07 16:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gasping george on 2003-01-07 17:10 ]</font>