If I hear that Christmas tune one-more-time.....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

If I hear that Christmas tune one-more-time.....

Post by cowtime »

Little Drummer Boy, no longer brings joy :evil:

Let it Snow, let it Snow, oh NO :swear:

Winter Wonder Land, shut up, there's a plan :tomato:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: If I hear that Christmas tune one-more-time.....

Post by Coffee »

Ditto and concour. And to add: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, ANYTHING by the Chipmunks, and "All I want for Christmas"

Now I'm a gonna clean my mind out with Fairytale of New York.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In the UK there are several different versions of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" vying for top pop song. This is not my favourite piece of music. :swear:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The Shrieky Ladys singing the Drummer Boy is my least fav. Yesterday in the OR that song came on and everyone started singing along in a horrendous falsetto. Good thing our patient was under general anesthesia or we'd have collectively been sued for malpractice...Image

Actually, I sorta like the Drummer Boy-- nice little story to it. I've heard other versions of it that I really enjoyed. It's just that women's choir version that gets my knickers in a knot, especially the part where they go up high...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

A Christmas Carol that I like is I Saw Three Ships. It's actually getting some air play this year. I heard an interesting, well thought out arrangment on WV public radio yesterday. I've yet to run across another person who has actually known the name of the song and only a couple of people who said that they'd recognize this song as a carol.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

If you are a rural mail delivery person in the Appalachian Mountains, I can understand why any mention of snow or Winter Wonder Land would bring a feeling of dread, because it is hard enough to drive safely on those roads even when they are not covered with snow and ice. Being retired from my regular job, I no longer have to scrape ice and snow from my car every cold winter morning so that I can drive to work. However, my wife still has to make an early morning commute on the freeway, so now I have to worry about her. At least we both have cell phones so that we can communicate if there is a problem. Today, with the roads covered with freezing rain, I am hoping not to receive a call from my wife saying that she made it to work safely but that she forgot her glasses. Now, back to playing Jingle Bell Rock on my penny whistle.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I think you get a toxic buildup of some of these songs after years upon years. My daughter (who's 18--the one in the avatar) still can't wait until the day after Thanksgiving when several stations switch to all-holiday-music, all the time, format. Burn out will come somewhere down the road.

I do like the version of Drummer Boy sung by Bing Crosby where David Bowie--making a guest appearance on Bing's Christmas special--harmonizes with Peace on Earth. It has gotten a bit too much radio play in recent years, and approaching tiresome status for that reason...that's what always happens.
Here's a vid of the show clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA
Maybe part of what I like about this is the backstory, revealed by Bing's daughter Mary in an interview. The show aired shortly before Bing's death. Apparently Bowie and his wife showed up for the taping clad in full Ziggie Stardust mode, which was a bit weird to take for the extremely conservative Crosby.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:The show aired shortly before Bing's death. Apparently Bowie and his wife showed up for the taping clad in full Ziggie Stardust mode, which was a bit weird to take for the extremely conservative Crosby.
:D That very well could have been it!

I like that one too, but as you said, it has been getting far too much airtime as of late. I really like the Bare Naked Ladies/Sarah Mclachlan version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". I've heard it only once so far this season, which is a grand thing indeed. Here it is on the Yertube...I love the jazzy aspect of it.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HBHrmDRffyU
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

The best way to avoid the schmaltz is to not listen to radio.

Today it is snowing and blowing so hard I can hardly see across the street. We are supposed to get about 50 cm this weekend. What better way to get in the spirit than to sing about it?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I like Mannheim Steamroller.

I drive my wife a bit insane with it.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

djm wrote:The best way to avoid the schmaltz is to not listen to radio.
Shmaltz like John Denver - Please Daddy and Merry Christmas from the Family, or something more up beat like
Oi to the world? How else can you have a Wonderful ChristmasTime? Heck even Bruce Springsteen likes it when Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town. For the Metal heads, Who can resist Manowar or the lead singer to Testament singing "Silent Night"? Pet lovers must like Jingle Bell Dogs.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Worst ever: George Michael - "Last Christmas"
I'm working from home today in anticipation of an evil commute (Nor'easter today in RI), and my son woke up singing that one. I've since listened to much else, but in silent moments it creeps back in.
SAVE
MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and anything by Mannheim Steamroller just makes me cringe.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

This won't really mean a lot to you americans, but there's this swedish christmas song called "Tänd ett ljus" (Light a Candle) that drives me nuts everytime I hear it. I nearly vomited when I awoke in the middle of the night a week or so ago when my drunkard neighbour started playing this crap at full blast, not the first disturbance from there. After about 5 minutes of this stuff I grew tired of it and called the cops, and 10 minutes after that I got to watch and hear with lots of amuzement when some guards came and knocked violently at their door for a minute or two. They didn't open so eventually the guards went down to the basement and turned their power off and wrote a report to the landlord :twisted:

Anyway, here's the song. And you'll probably understand why I find it so disgusting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCcfNkfb0bQ

Uuuuh. Now I need to get that out of my head again, better get some
whisky :D
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

cowtime wrote:Little Drummer Boy, no longer brings joy...
...and the Mick Jagger / David Bowie duet version is the crappe de la crappe of drummer boys.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

s1m0n wrote:...and the Mick Jagger / David Bowie duet version is the crappe de la crappe of drummer boys.
Really?
You haven't seen Bowie and Bing Crosby do it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMhSjDqvRs