OT - cat advice - transporting cross country?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

In May I will be moving from NY to Seattle. I will be driving, more or less nonstop, but will be flying there for a visit beforehand. I know a cat here in NY that I'd like to adopt. Does anyone had advice/info on transporting a cat long distances? Either by car or plane... If there's no good way to do it, so be it, and I can't keep her.

But this cat LOVES whistling!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2003-01-07 01:48 ]</font>
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Well, we moved from NC to California four years ago with a cat, a dog and a kid. It can be done :smile:. 10 years before that we made the trip in the opposite direction with the dog. How easy it is kinda depends on the cat...how well does he ride in the carrier, for example?

When we drove out here with our pets, the first thing we did was make our motel reservations at places that allowed pets along the entire route, so there wouldn't be any nasty surprises. A travel agent can do that for you too, and save you lots of time and headaches.

We got a larger than usual carrier for the cat, since she would have to be in it for hours at a stretch (we used one suitable for a small dog). We put a towel in the front of it for her to lie on and a ferret litter pan in the back. Every two hours or so, we'd stop at a rest area, lock all the doors, and let her prowl around the car for a bit, have some water, etc., then back in the carrier and off we'd go.

We carried her regular litter box, food bowls, etc., in the trunk. When we got to our motel each night, we'd let her out and show her were everything was...after checking things out for a bit, she'd be fine. She really was a very easy traveler.

One thing you'll want to do before you travel is have the cat microchipped, and make sure you register a temporary contact number, as well as your new address and phone, with the chip registry. A collar and tag are also a good idea, but more likely to be lost. Carry a recent photo of the cat too, just in case.

It's also important, when traveling with animals, to make sure you have enough of your home water or bottled water to supply them on the trip...otherwise they may get digestive upsets from frequent water changes. Also carry a good supply of their regular food, as you may not be able to find it on the road.

I never fly an animal if there's an option to drive...it's too stressful for the critter and there's too much risk of it being lost or injured. While there is an option for flying a small animal in the cabin with you, it's very restrictive...basically, one critter is allowed per cabin per flight, it must be able to ride in a carrier that fits under the seat, and the right to have the animal in the cabin with you can be suspended without notice (for example, if another passenger notices the animal before takeoff and complains about an allergy). You can't count on it. Flying in the baggage hold is really stressful (the noise alone is enough to drive any sane creature crazy!), and most vets recommend against tranquilizing animals for air trips, as they can go into respiratory distress. If you absolutely have to fly, choose a direct flight if possible...less chance of your pet being left on the tarmac somewhere (it happens!). Driving really is the way to go, however, if you can swing it.

Redwolf

P.S. A bit more here: If you travel by car, it's not a bad idea to plan to eat most of your meals at rest areas or in your motel room. We always pack a cooler of sandwich stuff, cereal, etc. Obviously, it's not a good idea to leave an animal in a car while you go into a restaurant (though a brief time while you pop into a fast food place is OK). In the evenings, you REALLY don't want to leave the animal alone in the room if you can help it (and if you must, you should put her back in the carrier), for two reasons: 1) she could damage the room and 2) if a maid lets herself in, she could accidentally let the cat out.

I actually enjoyed both times traveling with our critters...caring for their needs made us more relaxed about our itinerary, I think. Driving is a great way to see the country too :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2003-01-07 02:06 ]</font>
MandoPaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MandoPaul »

Check on exact rules but you can take cats on the plane in the passenger compartment.

United's the airline I get screwed by most so I'm most familiar with their rules. Last time I did this, you had to make a cat "reservation" in advance. They then charged me $50 at the checkin counter to pay for the "cat ticket". I had to use a cat carrier that would fit under the seat, which was fine for my little cat but *really* cozy for my fat guy. I was allowed to hand my cat around the security gate and not x-ray them, but this was pre 9/11. It's also just one cat per person, so if there are two cats, they expect two human passengers.

The last part, which the cats *loved* was that they aren't allowed to be on your lap during takeoff and landing. They are "luggage", so they have to be put under the seat in front of you. Make sure you get a seat that isn't bulkhead row or emergency row where there is no seat in front of you.

Both of my cats screamed murder during the time they were under the seats. They were much better when on my lap, even in the box.

Cat in car fun depends on how good your cat is. Most don't like being boxed or chained up in the car. However, it seems that the absolute favorite spot for all cats is on the floorboard directly behind all the pedals... Makes braking much more exciting.

If it's cross country, I'd recommend plane. It'll be a few bucks but not much and it will be over in 4-6 hours. My family did two cars, two kids and two cats and one U-Haul for 3 days. Adventures in moving. Bah! After one day, the cats became furry Cuisinarts every time we tried to get them in the car.

Good luck. It's like any other experience moving (or banging your head against the wall). It feels much better when it's done.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-01-07 02:03, MandoPaul wrote:

Check on exact rules but you can take cats on the plane in the passenger compartment.

It's not always easy. Only one animal is allowed per compartment per flight, and you can lose your "right" to have the animal in the compartment with you (even if you paid for it) if another passenger complains, which can mean a last minute purchase of an airline flight container, freight charges, and a very stressed (if not lost) animal at the end of the line. It's a nice option, but not one you can ever count on being there.

Redwolf
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

I've moved cats by both air and car, and recommend car (although NY to Seattle is a bit of a distance).

When I moved from TX to St. Louis, I flew my cat in the carrier and checked it. At that time, they did not permit pets in the cabin. (or I was too stupid to ask) It was probably more stressful for me than him, but he definitely did not enjoy it. I felt terrible to put him through that.

When we moved from the Boston area to Georgia, we drove. We put the two cats each in their own carrier (stacked) in between the two kids in the back seat. There was an initial bit of nervousness on the part of the cats (growling and crouching down); however, they soon got used to it.

Having the kids next to them and able to reach their finger through the cracks of the carriers and touch them helped the cats stress level.

We made the trip in two days and stayed at a friends house in DC for the one night. So I havent had the hotel experience, but it shouldnt be too bad if, as a previous reply stated, you make sure the hotel allows pets in advance.

Good luck. I've moved all of my life, my dad was in the oil business and I went to 14 different schools before graduating from high school. Moving is a lot of work, but I've found that no matter where you are you can choose to either like it or hate it...but every where has good things and bad things.

In the words of Buckaroo Bonzai "No matter where you go, there you are!"

Gary
Mal

Post by Mal »

My wife and I have had plenty of experience driving with both cats and dogs. In fact, we have never left our pets home when we traveled.

Cats are good travelers. That's one reason many RV full-timers and sailors who cruise have them as pets. They will happily sleep the day away if there is nothing else to do, and don't have to be excercized.

Like people, some cats are naturally easy going and philosophical, but others are more
sensitive to changes in their routine, and will get motion sickness. We had one Persion who immediately started salivating in big stringy drools and did some yowling when we started a trip, but was ok after an hour or so on the road and for the rest of the trip no matter how many days it took.

Take your cat with you in the car frequently on short trips before you start the ig journey the cat gets used to its surroundings and the sensations and noises of travel. Talk to it and give it a lot of attention to reassure it.

Always use A break-away collar, it is the only kind that should be used on a cat. Cats will try to squeeze through impossibly small openings and I've heard of too many who choked to death when the the regular type collar they war got hung up on something. Better yet, I would recommend using a small harness rather than a collar. You can put a leash on and let your cat out to sniff around, eat a little grass etc. A collar doesn't work well for this kind of thing because you have to put it on so tightly to keep the cat from pulling its head out. Also with a harness, you can let the cat out to roam around the car a bit providing the leash is attached. I'd hook it on my wrist so I could keep track of what was going on and the cat couldn't wrap it around something.

The advice about bringing water from home is a good one, but you can try out bottled water before you start the trip. If that works, it will save you some hassle.

In a motel, you can keep the cat in the bathroom during the night if you are worried about it scratching rugs or poor toilet habits. Otherwise the cat will be very happy to sleep on your bed.

Cats are great creatures of habit, and all our cats stayed put in one favorite spot during out trips in our camper, which they had the run of. Unlike dogs, cats are very cautious animals, and none of ours showed the slightest interest in bolting out the door when it was opened. If they do get out by accident, they don't go very far but find some place to hunker down where it seems safe.

Enjoy your cat as a traveling companion!

Mal
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Or you could just eat the cat before you leave, and buy a new one in Seattle. Problem Solved! :grin:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Bad Brian! No biscuit!

Just DON'T let the cat roam around the car while you're driving. They WILL get under your feet, and that could be extremely dangerous. I think the extra-big cat carrier idea would be good. Your cat won't be happy by the end of the ride, but it will be safe and so will you.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2003-01-07 09:26, Brian Lee wrote:
Or you could just eat the cat before you leave, and buy a new one in Seattle. Problem Solved! :grin:
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Cats are great creatures of habit, and all our cats stayed put in one favorite spot during out trips in our camper, which they had the run of. Unlike dogs, cats are very cautious animals, and none of ours showed the slightest interest in bolting out the door when it was opened. If they do get out by accident, they don't go very far but find some place to hunker down where it seems safe.
Heh...my friends cat will absolutely STREAK for the front door anytime it is opened, and never go farther than sitting on the front mat, sticking his nose out and sniffing. I've never seen him even budge off of that mat. Pretty funny, actually. (We talked about putting a sliding mat out once, but since he lives upstairs, we thought taking a stair header wouldn't be fun for him. :lol:)

Aodhan
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Avanutria: In 1985, my soon-to-be wife and I traveled from Seattle to Lancaster, PA, in a 2-door, 1981 Subaru. Our 2 cats traveled in the back seat, sitting on the top of suitcases, bedding, books, etc. Every now and then, they rested on our laps, but the back seat was their home... They loved the trip. We had to pick our motels carefully, but never had a problem the whole way. I don't think we owned a cat carrier...
Good luck with your trip.
Best.
Byll
StarrM

Post by StarrM »

Avanutria, I show cats so I am regularly driving, and sometimes flying with my 'kids'. For that long of a trip, I would definately fly the cat out. The 'cat ticket' prices are now up to $75, and not all airlines allow you to take 'cat in cabin'. (I know American does currently.)You'll need to make a reservation in advance, then pay for the cat ticket at the check-in window on the day of your flight. You will also need to take the kitty out of its carrier and hand carry her/him through the security gate, so try to not be carrying too much. If you choose to drive, be sure and have a carrier. Another trick... get a plastic Rubbermaid shoe box -- it will fit into the back of a mid-sized carrier cross-wise and provide a litter box while at the same time leaving the cat enough room to rest comfortably.

Let me know if you need more advice.

Starr
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think everyone else has answered your question. I brought my cats on a plane from Nashville to Albany. I had the two of them sedated and in one Sherpa bag. I had made a reservation for them (because they were in one carrier, they counted as one animal) and was allowed to take them on the plane. Someone complained about a cat allergy and I had to move, but it worked out ok.

Pick your airline wisely.

~Jessie
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

On 2003-01-07 11:24, JessieK wrote:

Pick your airline wisely.
Would that be Dale Force One?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2003-01-07 11:46, jbarter wrote:
Would that be Dale Force One?
Most definitely not.

Edit: But cute. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JessieK on 2003-01-07 12:02 ]</font>