Robins?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Robins?

Post by izzarina »

There is an American Robin in my back yard today. This is odd...given the fact that it's December. I don't think I've ever seen a Robin in the yard past October here in northern NYS. Now, our temperatures are rather high today (in the 40's...most of the snow is gone again), but it's not like this hasn't happened before, and still I've never seen a Robin at this time of year. I always thought they migrated, but I've heard they don't. Does anyone know anything about them? Not that it's of major importance, I'm just curious.

The Canada Geese also took their time migrating this year. Last week, well over 500 of them flew over our house. They are usually gone at this time as well, with only a few stragglers. There sure as heck isn't 500+ at one time in December. I think it's going to be a weird winter.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Re: Robins?

Post by djm »

No, I've never seen robins this far north so late in the year. The geese tend to stay if they're being fed, either by a local conservation authority or by Ducks Unlimited. Also, from what I've read, there are multiple populations of each species, so that one group will move south a bit, bumping the group of that same species in the same area down south a bit, and so on; each group displacing the next. In spring it's reversed.

As for it being a strange winter, we are seeing the same. We've had snow on the ground almost continuously from the middle of November, which is about 4-5 weeks early. We are seeing the same very mild weather today you mentioned. It was +10°C this morning but it's supposed to drop to -10°C this evening (pretty dramatic for one 12 hour period), and then turn cold for the rest of the week. Who knows what the rest of the season will bring?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

We've had an unusual batch of them for this time of year as well.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Robins are one of those birds that migrate due to food pressures rather than in response to weather changes, and they'll happily stay in the snowy, cold north if there's an abundant food supply. If there's an abundant supply of berries/fruits, or lots of generous birdfeeders around you, you may well see robins throughout the winter. I remember seeing them at Christmas when visiting a former girlfriend's family in New England one year; I loved the splash of their bright orange breasts against the white snow that blanketed everything.

Enjoy them!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I've got robins, too! A bunch of 'em. It's -6F today, and we got @ 2" of snow last night. What are they eating??? According to Wikipedia, "The American Robin's diet generally consists of around 40 percent invertebrates, such as beetle grubs, caterpillars and grasshoppers, and 60 percent wild and cultivated fruits and berries." If "fruits" includes seeds, then this might be understandable, but otherwise it looks like there's squat for a normal American robin's diet, here. I know I haven't been feeding 'em, although the neighbor lady has a bird (seed) feeder out.

I don't recall having seen this before.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

Snow grubs. :wink:

djm
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

When the red red robin comes bop bop bopping along
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I saw a flock of them the other day just north of Albany NY, which is unusual. We just had that big ice storm, and it looked like they were gathering and getting ready to leave town in a hurry!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Nanohedron wrote: If "fruits" includes seeds, then this might be understandable, but otherwise it looks like there's squat for a normal American robin's diet, here. I know I haven't been feeding 'em, although the neighbor lady has a bird (seed) feeder out.
There are quite a few berries that are borne in winter -- snowberries, holly berries, winterberries . . . -- and that's usually the main source of food for fruit-loving critters in cold climes. There's probably a fair supply of the stuff for them (at least, if they're hanging around now; the robins may yet move on if they can't find food in your chilly area).

We're in the midst of a "cold-snap" here in the SF Bay Area. There are Severe Weather Alerts being posted and everything. It's in the 40's where I am now, and will be in the low 30's at night for a couple days. . . This was put in perspective for me when an uncle called from Montana yesterday, where it was minus-something-or-other. But really cold. So I'm feeling for you folks (and the robins). Brr!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

herbivore12 wrote: Enjoy them!
Oh, I am! :) It's just odd. It makes me wonder just what kind of winter we're in for. We have at least 5 more months of it, and if the Robins haven't left yet, there may be a chance it will be a mild one. At least that's my hope ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Ours left early this year. Now some are back. I dunno. Weird. We've had them come back in January before, but this is way off. It doesn't look like it's going to be a mild winter at all. Maybe it's going to be worse in the south?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
dwest

Post by dwest »

The Holly bears a berry
That the Robins do love
They stripped the trees to the Foliage
By the raising of the sun
And the flocking of the Waxwings
Has contributed some too
Sweet singing by the Whitethroats
Poor Sam Peabody
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Haven't seen any American Robins this year, but European Robins are cuter anyway.

dwest

Post by dwest »

Martin Milner wrote:Haven't seen any American Robins this year, but European Robins are cuter anyway.

I beg your pardon! Nothing cuter than a big Turd...us migratorius. Although Regulus satrapas has everybody beat hands down.
djm

Post by djm »

Diddle! You'd have to be dead not to fall in love with Bombycilla cedrorum:

or with Icterus galbula:

djm