Something between a Clarke and a Blackbird?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Something between a Clarke and a Blackbird?

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Out of hundreds of comments, no one else has ever said the Mellow Dog takes "too much" breath control. Although like any whistle you may need to get familiar with it, it by no means requires delicate breath control. At the same time, it takes a reasonable amount of air, not too much, but somewhat more than the Blackbird.

I'll send Rhadge a Mellow Dog for free. No charge. Free, so he can decide for himself.
And if I said that my Mellow Dog doesn't require enough breath control, would someone send me a free Blackbird?

(Just kidding, I love my Mellow Dog, 'specially the C tube.)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I did that because I'm at a loss as to how else I can avoid this kind of echo chamber effect where someone who hasn't yet had a chance to try the instrument, repeats a comment and appears ready to make a decision based on it, that doesn't match what most people report, but may gain influence because of the repeated posting. It's worth the trouble and cost to me to make sure such people get a chance to form their own opinions.

If someone commented that the Blackbird requires more breath control than they're used to, I would be content to let such a comment stand regardless of how many times it was repeated, because it does reflect a widely reported characteristic of that whistle.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Jerry:

It feels wrong to turn down the offer, yet it feels wrong to accept it. You do as you wish. :-)

Still curious regarding the intonation thing. Do all whistles have the same "intonation sensitivity" regarding how hard one blows?
Or is the Blackbird for example, more sensitive? How is the Mellow Dog in that aspect?

I hope I'm not confusing anyone here, by being confused...
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Rhadge wrote:Do all whistles have the same "intonation sensitivity" regarding how hard one blows?
Or is the Blackbird for example, more sensitive?
I'm sure there's variation from one whistle to another. However, I don't know how the Blackbird or Mellow Dog compare with each other or with other whistles in this respect. Perhaps others can comment.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You probably fret over the intonation too much, any whistle I know will easily blow twenty cents sharp or flat but will play well in tune with a decent breath control.

I have six or seven prototypes of the Blackbird here plus a number of tubes of Jerry's design. All of them play fine and in tune.

Realise these intonation things can start leading a life of their own, inside your head. For example people mindlessly repeating the 'bad intonation' mantrar when talking of for example Generations, Feadogs etc who suddenly feel that when Jerry adjusts the head the tubes miraculously get in tune.

As always, there are skill you bring to it yourself. No whistle will sound perfectly when your playing skills are limited. Let your ear guide you and just play.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Rhadge wrote:Jerry:

It feels wrong to turn down the offer, yet it feels wrong to accept it. You do as you wish.
Well, I want to make sure you're comfortable with the transaction.

I'll be happy to give you the whistle, but if you would prefer to pay for it, please keep in mind, I guarantee 100% satisfaction with any whistle I sell, no matter when or from where the whistle was received.

Here are three options:

1. I'll give you the whistle, which as I said, I'm happy to do.
2. I'll send you the whistle at no charge. Then after a trial, if you decide to keep it, you can pay for it then.
3. You can pay for the whistle, and I'll send it. Then, if you decide you're not 100% happy with it, I'll refund your money. (In such cases, I don't ask for the whistle to be returned.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Laban:
I see, maybe it's not a big difference between whistles regarding this. And you're right, I probably focus too much on what the tuner says (even if it sounds okay). Thanks.

I'll just keep playing to my drones and hopefully I will see progress in the long run.

Off-topic: What would you guys/gals say is an "acceptable" intonation range when you play or listen? (Meaning, how "off" the intonation is)
Would be interesting to hear what others think is the threshold. I understand that classically oriented people are more sensitive, for example.
I understand it can't really be measured in figures like that, and it depends on the context. But maybe some rough approximation is possible.
Jerry Freeman wrote:
Here are three options:

1. I'll give you the whistle, which as I said, I'm happy to do.
2. I'll send you the whistle at no charge. Then after a trial, if you decide to keep it, you can pay for it then.
3. You can pay for the whistle, and I'll send it. Then, if you decide you're not 100% happy with it, I'll refund your money. (In such cases, I don't ask for the whistle to be returned.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Okay. I'll opt for choice number 1. Stupid of me not to. Sorry for making this over-complicated. It's a generous offer, thanks.
To ease my conscience I can promise that I'll continue to recommend Freeman whistles, and probably buy future whistles from you. I guess that's the effect that you wish from your policy, and it probably works too.

I think you have my address from when I ordered the Blackbird. Otherwise I can PM it to you.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

So I don't have to hunt for it, could you PM your address?

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Jerry
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Peter Laban wrote:I have six or seven prototypes of the Blackbird here ...
That's a whole flock, but not nearly enough for a pie.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Regarding intonation, I think expecting a whistle to be 5 cents from "in tune" is a tall order. Some notes will make it, but some are going to have to be blown in tune with breath adjustments, as much as 10-15 cents sometimes.

Think about a guitar, or fiddle, or concertina. Think those guys are within 5 cents for every note? Not likely.

Jason
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Jason Paul wrote:Regarding intonation, I think expecting a whistle to be 5 cents from "in tune" is a tall order. Some notes will make it, but some are going to have to be blown in tune with breath adjustments, as much as 10-15 cents sometimes.

Think about a guitar, or fiddle, or concertina. Think those guys are within 5 cents for every note? Not likely.

Jason
I don't know really. I can't hear 5 cents difference myself, actually. :-P

Being a total newbie when it comes to this terminology, I may have misjudged the importance of a few cents.
Question is then: when does the listener notice the difference? I'm not expecting anyone to solve that mystery though.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

The Mellow Dog is one of my favourites. Air requirement is modest enough to make it no struggle to play.

Oddly, for a whistle that is intended to be very accommodating of breath control, mine initially drove me nuts when I got it a few years back - especially the top couple of notes of the first octave and the bottom couple of oct 2. I just couldn't get stability.

Now I find it an easy whistle to play, plenty responsive enough for dance tunes, and a nice tone for slow, atmospheric pieces.

The early issue was clearly down to my technique, but it just goes to show that even a forgiving whistle isn't idiot-proof...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Buddhu: I thought the same of the Blackbird (although never have had "trouble" with the lower 2nd octave notes).
Hopefully, me being used to the Blackbird maybe will ease the transition for me to the Mellow Dog.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Just received the Mellow Dog.

What can I say... it fits me like a glove. Breath control is at a perfect level (for me) and the sound is clear yet mellow.
The best whistle I've played so far (but of course the Blackbird and Clarke also have their merits).
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

I ordered a Mellow Dog for a Christmas present to me.
Its my fav. present. I am only a beginner, but I sound much better playing it than the 3 other whistles I have. Seems easier to hit and move between high notes better. Seems to require a bit more breath on the overblow A&G than the Clarke orig. but not a big deal.
OVERALL, i COULDNT BE MORE SATISFIED,
Thank you Jerry! and thanks for getting it to me so quickly,

I hope to post a tune on it soon for critique.

Steve Jeter
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested