Ooh, tiny whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ooh, tiny whistle!

Post by West »

I got myself a Shaw high E today, for no other reason than that I needed an E whistle for a song I'm working on and the Shaw was the most reasonably priced one (in fact, it was the only semi-cheapie E I could find). Now, I have played a number of whistles pitched lower than D, but never a higher pitched one. And boy, now I understand why people tend to go for lower whistles. My ears hurt! Also, I would probably not even be able to play a high G considering an E whistle is this small!

It's a really nice whistle though. It's very responsive and has a nice breathy tone, but like its similarly conical all-tin cousin the Clarke original it requires tons of air. Maybe I shouldn't really be playing Shaws, but I have an WhOA itch that needs to be scratched.

And yes, this is a completely pointless thread really. Just sharing my discoveries as a newbie whistler :)
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I had a go on a high G once, my chubby fingers even held tight together couldn't cover the holes :cry: It was physically impossible for me to play that whistle.
Perhaps a whistle for anyone under the age of ten? :D
mcurtiss
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

I quite like my Generation high F.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

chrisp wrote:I had a go on a high G once, my chubby fingers even held tight together couldn't cover the holes :cry: It was physically impossible for me to play that whistle.
The trick to playing this sized whistle is to completely change the grip. For the top/left hand, curl your fingers and use the tips of your fingers (not the pads). Don't attempt to support the whistle with your thumb. Instead, rest the tube on the skin fold between your thumb and index finger. In this manner it's still possible to play top-hand rolls and such without fatigue and a neighboring finger getting in the way. Bottom hand grip was mostly the same for me.

Controlling intonation and preventing eventual deafness is another story.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Guinness wrote:curl your fingers and use the tips of your fingers (not the pads).
Exactly. Except I need to do that with both hands, but I can keep my thumbs in the normal positions.
Also exactly. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Guinness wrote:
chrisp wrote:I had a go on a high G once, my chubby fingers even held tight together couldn't cover the holes :cry: It was physically impossible for me to play that whistle.
The trick to playing this sized whistle is to completely change the grip. For the top/left hand, curl your fingers and use the tips of your fingers (not the pads). Don't attempt to support the whistle with your thumb. Instead, rest the tube on the skin fold between your thumb and index finger. In this manner it's still possible to play top-hand rolls and such without fatigue and a neighboring finger getting in the way. Bottom hand grip was mostly the same for me.

What did you say? :P
I'll have to give that a go next time i get the chance, would that work with even the fattest masons hands :)
Tia

Post by Tia »

hmm I think my family my murder me if I started playing anything higher then a D...but I really would like to try one one day
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

mcurtiss wrote:I quite like my Generation high F.
Me too. I have an Eb and an F. They both sing for me. Then there's my high G, which my bandmates once dubbed the Whistle of Mass Destruction.
TW
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Henke

Re: Ooh, tiny whistle!

Post by Henke »

West wrote:Now, I have played a number of whistles pitched lower than D, but never a higher pitched one. And boy, now I understand why people tend to go for lower whistles. My ears hurt!
Acctually, two of my favourite whistle players- Mary Bergin and Gavin Whelan seem to love Eb for solo work. Don't know why, maybe they find Eb more lively than D, like many flute players do. Now that's another story.
West wrote:It's a really nice whistle though. It's very responsive and has a nice breathy tone, but like its similarly conical all-tin cousin the Clarke original it requires tons of air.
May I suggest the "flatten the airway" tweak. Descriptions to be found on the main site. I've used it to great effect on my Shaw and Clarke whistles.

Lycka till!
Also, you can get a lovely smell from the whistle if you dip the wood plug in
whisky :wink:
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Fantastic clip of Seamus Ennis playing The Copperplate on a high G whistle for anyone who hasn't heard it, courtesy of Nico.
http://nicolaslbrown.googlepages.com/08 ... teReel.mp3

[edit: mmm...can't get it to play from here - try right click and 'save target as', that works]
Mark
sackbut

Post by sackbut »

A high F whistle is good for a lot of early music tunes, that are often pitched in D minor or G minor. Examples are Parson's Farewell, Childgrove, and Glory of the North (all from Playford). There are also some B flat strathspeys & reels that fall within the F whistle register (try Kerr's Merry melodies).
The Gen high F can sound a bit shrill, but my homemade copper high F (made from a bit of standard water pipe left over from a friend's bathroom renovation) has a mellower tone, and a bonus is that the E natural is not sharp, as the Gen's is. So now I use the copper F most of the time.
'Hebden Hop', an original tune written to follow 'Glory of the North', can be found in Ramble Through West Yorkshire, a slow travel book which contains whistle-friendly tunes, and which can be purchased from the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's website.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

The Gen G is too cramped even for my modest-sized hands. I'll have to try that modified grip.

I do like the Gen Fs and the Eb - especially the fabled ridge-fippled Ebs. Susato also do whistle up at that altitude, but I prefer the sound of the Gens. Just can't get on with the Susato timbre - it seems to have a nasal edge that I only hear when I play them. I don't hear it so much when others play them, and other people don't seem to hear it when I play them. Maybe it's a proximity thing. Generation high whistles, however, sound great in a painful kind of way.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
markbell

Post by markbell »

Daniel Bingamon also makes reasonably-priced higher whistles. I have a high E and a high F from him.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum