My Civic Duty

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: My Civic Duty

Post by Nanohedron »

hyldemoer wrote:Picture gray haired scrawny little white lady me sitting there asking the judge dear to repeat his questions.
The lawyers never want me.
Oh, that's GOOD. Kind of like toying with a telemarketer.

Of course, going on about Neptune would be killer, but I worry someone would order me into psychiatric observation. The food has to suck.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I'm lucky enough to work for a company that will still pay my salary for up to 30 days of jury duty per year, so I rather enjoy the opportunity when it arises. I've been summoned for jury duty three times, and served on juries for two of them.

The first summons I ever got (superior court), I ended up on the jury for a 2nd degree murder trial. That was a very educational experience, I must say: strangulation, body decomposition, the works.

The third summons (municipal court), I got on the jury for a case of indecent exposure by a homeless man. A sad situation all around.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I'm on jury duty this month, too. The way it works around here is that you get a notice in the mail saying you have jury duty for the month of ______ . You have the opportunity to send in the form and request a deferral to a different month, within the next 10 months. (But then you really have to do it in your deferred month -- no deferring forever.) During your designated month, you have to call in every evening and listen to a recording that tells what jurors and groups are needed the next day. I'm in group 12 so I'm hoping that I'll make it past the first two weeks of December, which is the last two weeks of our semester and it's a pain for 80 people if I miss class. (I teach at the university.) So far, so good: they took group 1 on Dec.1, no one on Dec. 2, groups 2 & 3 on Dec. 3, and no new groups today. The third week of December is finals, and it isn't hard to get someone else to proctor my finals so that wouldn't be a problem.

I get a summons every few years. Normally I only have to report in once or twice during the month, and I don't get placed on a jury. In the last 25 years I've only been seated on one jury, for a DUI case. That jury selection was a little scary: they asked if anyone had ever been arrested for DUI and half the room cleared out. I HOPE many were lying to get out of jury duty -- I hate to think that was a representative cross section of my community's drivers! :boggle: They they rejected all the heavy drinkers, no-longer-drinking alcoholics, and non-alcoholic teetotalers. Those of us who would confess to being moderate social drinkers without any history of alcohol-related problems were rare.

So, all of you, keep your fingers crossed that I don't get called in until at least Dec.15 this time. (Sorry, you won't be able to make the finger reach to play whistles with crossed fingers, but it's a small price to pay for my convenience, don't you think? :D )
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Seems like they never give you the opportunity to say any of the cool things you might utter to get excused.

I've been summoned and excused several times, usually the case is settled.

I just can't wait to tell 'em I listen to rightwinghateradio. I think that will do it.

Add me to the list of those who initially thought Congrats story was of a guy who dressed that way to get excused.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was called up about a month ago. It was my old address and the courthouse was a four hour drive from where I now live. I was taken off that duty when this was mentioned.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

dwest wrote:
Dale wrote: Oh, I really don't need any help with that. If all else fails, when they ask questions of prospective jurors you just have to say a sentence or two that includes any two or three of these words/phrases.

radiation
brain waves
implanted or implant
Neptune
hidden camera
genitals
rabies
Nixon
secret coded messages
chiff
my powers
snap
special agent
archangel
fipple

Write those words on a little slip of paper and keep them in the palm of your hand and you'll never go wrong. If they catch you with the little cheat sheet, just hand them the cheat sheet and tell them that it's just a reminder to yourself of the stuff you want to talk about once you get in the jury room.
That's a lot of work when just saying "I'm sure they're guilty, but I'll wait for the trial to convict" will suffice.
Where's the fun in that?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:
And what's wrong with archangels? :boggle:

djm
Nothing whatever. Just note that it's a bit difficult to compose a sane-sounding sentence using "archangels" in combination with any of those other words. Especially sitting in a jury box being interviewed by lawyers.
dwest

Post by dwest »

The Weekenders wrote:Seems like they never give you the opportunity to say any of the cool things you might utter to get excused.

I've been summoned and excused several times, usually the case is settled.

I just can't wait to tell 'em I listen to rightwinghateradio. I think that will do it.

Add me to the list of those who initially thought Congrats story was of a guy who dressed that way to get excused.
I have several close friends who are judges, one federal circuit, one state appeals, and one state circuit. We all went out together Nov. 5th for a quite celebratory dinner. For most of their fellow judges mentioning
rightwinghateradio
would just make them chatty as I'm sure it is their channel of choice. And my "liberal" three would just say "Hey, whatever floats your boat, be here tomorrow at nine" :lol:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Dale wrote:Nothing whatever. Just note that it's a bit difficult to compose a sane-sounding sentence using "archangels" in combination with any of those other words. Especially sitting in a jury box being interviewed by lawyers.
Councilor, the only contact I've had with the
police department was calling 911 when the
radiation detectors went off at Archangel
Gabriel Catholic Church on Nixon St.

Hm. You're right, no one would ever believe
there's a Nixon St.
djm

Post by djm »

Dale wrote:Just note that it's a bit difficult to compose a sane-sounding sentence using "archangels" in combination with any of those other words.
I'm afraid I don't follow this at all. I used to suffer from plantar fasciitis until I got me some of them archangels.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

I've never been called, and now if I was I'm sure with Tom knowing all the judges, all the prosecutors, most of the defense attorneys, and the bailiffs, I probably never will serve on a jury.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

A couple of years ago I found some mail that had been sort of mislaid on my desk (which is not surprising since I only use my desk to store piles of mail I do not wish to read), and there was a letter from the county that I had been selected for jury duty (which was less congratulatory even than my rejection letters to Right Hand Pointing fiction submitters.)

I was a month past the deadline for response and in the letter were threatening words to the effect, "If you fail to respond you will be tracked down, dragged to the county courthouse, made to sit on a cushionless bench for hours, brought before the judge, and finally sentenced to busting rocks with the cast of Shawshank Redemption.

So I called the bailiff, and left a message on the answering machine confessing that I had indeed failed to do my civic duty but if they would only forgive me this one time, I'd promise to sign up jury duty as often as they needed. I got no return call and I left another message a few days later. Still no response.

I figured that if it was that damn important to them they would have called back, so I completely put it out of mind. But I just know the next time I get stopped for a traffic ticket the cop will have a warrant for my arrest and I'll be hauled away. I got no proof I called the bailiff and left a message. I'm screwed.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Nanohedron wrote:
hyldemoer wrote:Picture gray haired scrawny little white lady me sitting there asking the judge dear to repeat his questions.
The lawyers never want me.
Oh, that's GOOD. Kind of like toying with a telemarketer.
The freaky thing about it, I wasn't even trying. It just comes out that way now. Its a coping strategy I use in scary situations
or so I speculate. It could be how I actually am these days.

After I was excused I got into the elevator with the other folks who'd been excused (whose immediate family members had been killed in violent situations or were in drug rehabilitation programs themselves)
and my goodness! they all had a good giggle when I asked them if they'd like me to remember their loved ones or personal challenges in my prayers that night.

I didn't mention it was a Full moon and there'd be a lot of candles lit too.
djm

Post by djm »

So when Dale is going on about his "civic duty" you'd ask him about his "howdy doody"?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

I get called every year, or so it seems. A few years ago I was on a jury for a DUI and in late October I was called again to Superior Court. I was empanelled in a gang killing. The two defendents were 18 and the killing happened four years ago. It is a very emotionally charged case with older women walking the hallways with tee shirts commemorating the victim (who was also a gang member) but in the end I was dismissed, for several reasons, by the defense. I think they beat the prosecution to the punch, but who knows. As far as I can determine, the case has not yet been resolved and it started the first week in November.

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi