ABC software wanted

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

ABC software wanted

Post by Doc Jones »

Anybody have a link to a good place to get ABC reading software?

Feel free also to opine as to which program is best and why. :)

Thanks much,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

http://abcnavigator.free.fr/ is well regarded, reads, plays does it all for free.

However: I use ABC2Win more, possibly out of habit (ABC2Win won't print without licence but reads fine in the free version).
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks Peter. I downloaded it and gave it a try. Works well.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

Could someone also suggest the best ABC packages with graphical input for Linux (especially Ubuntu) and Mac OS computers?

Thanks,
Oreo Phil
ten or more

Post by ten or more »

You can copy and paste a ABC tune into http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html
and you can get a midi and sheet music. It won't work with ABC files on your computer, though, unless you can open them to copy them.
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

I use Barfly and Melody Assistant for Mac. Barfly does most everything I want.

Best,

Dave
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

For editing and playing, I use AbcMus. For rendering, I use abcm2ps to convert ABC to Postscript, then use Ghostscript to convert Postscript to PDF. If you want an all-in-one package (edit, play, view, print), ABC2Win works fairly well. I don't use it anymore, though, because it doesn't handle lyrics in a way I like.

You can find a large list of ABC software at http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Oreo wrote:Could someone also suggest the best ABC packages with graphical input for Linux (especially Ubuntu) and Mac OS computers?

Thanks,
Oreo Phil
The thing with abc and Linux/Unix is that you dont need any GUI's :D
Runabc will get you most things you'll need, simple, fast and will work with any Linux/Unix system.

The Knoppix clone Esclinux is a free bootable CD including all you need for abc notatin (and fiction writing).

There has been some ideas discussed to put together a "ChiffLinux" with abc and audio apps. Who knows ...

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Re: ABC software wanted

Post by mcurtiss »

since 2006 - 2008 is a life time or two in the computing world, does anyone have any new info on ABC programs for linux? I noticed a program called lilypond, but I can't seem to make it work.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Lilypond is a complete music typesetting system, much more powerful than just ABC software. That said, when I tried it as ABC software (an automatic conversion program is included, I believe) a year or two ago, I was extremely disappointed in the results. As I recall, basically it ignored the note beam information implied by the ABC and the resulting notation was extremely ugly.

For what it's worth, I use jcabc2ps with some extensions I wrote myself. It produces lovely Postscript (see the Dots or PDF links from the link in my sig for examples) but doesn't have a GUI. Also there's some sort of Postscript font glitch on Macs -- I'm hoping to track it down next week.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

mcurtiss wrote:since 2006 - 2008 is a life time or two in the computing world, does anyone have any new info on ABC programs for linux? I noticed a program called lilypond, but I can't seem to make it work.
Ubuntu Studio :D

Lilypond includes "abc2ly" for conversion but I don't know how good the conversion is as I don't use it.

I still use Runabc
http://ifdo.pugmarks.com/~seymour/runabc/runabc.html
or just abc2ps, abc2midi from clw

For abcm2ps on Mac OS X - try Fink

Gonzato updates his web site "The ABC Plus Homepage" frequently so that is a good source.

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

abc explorer does the trick for me in a clunky, occasionally crashing windows way.

stay hoopy
Mike
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

TablEdit works for me. Use it all the time and have for years. It has never yet managed to crash or lock a computer on me.

http://www.tabledit.com/
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.