Thoughts from the trough - a newbie whistler

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Makar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Thoughts from the trough - a newbie whistler

Post by Makar »

Just thought I would share some angst with any other newbies that might like to listen. Got to that stage after a few months where I feel not bad at this - still very aware of my level but enjoying progress. Recorded myself yesterday and thought 'oh, that's pish'. However, food for thought. Went to whistle class tonight and was thoroughly disenchanted with a 17 yr old girl who could play great after 4 yrs (as you would hope) but boy was she intent on showing that to the rest of us... Normally I don't mind but tonight I wanted to slap her and ask her to slow it down for the geriatrics in the room.

No real point to make other than - peaks and troughs. I'm climbing back up now towards a distant peak aware of the descent on the other side :wink: I know I like this instrument as I really want to be good. I was behind the door when patience was handed out but this time I'm ready to wait. I can't put the bloody things down.

In another couple of weeks I am determined to record a few of my whistles and put it on the guessing game thread - prior warning for those needing cheered up re their own abilities!

cheers
Stephen
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I appreciated what you said. I've seen another side of a young kid playing an instrument. When I've started a new instrument, I've always said to myself, "If snotty nosed little kids can figure out how to play a (fill-in the blank) and can't manage to wipe their noses, I think I can learn how to play one too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

Faster doesn't always equal better. There are folks out there who play like a runaway freight train, and that's impressive on its own level, but it's not something you'd want to listen to all day long if that's the only real skill that they have.

Something that's very hard for musicians in general to do is to be able to listen to someone else's playing, and learn from it, but without comparing your own playing unfavorably against it. There are a couple of approaches here; some folks learn to think in terms of "my playing sucks but it's mine own suckage," and I guess that maybe is where you have to start, but hopefully soon to be followed by "I tend to hear and focus on what's wrong in my playing, but that player is just as picky with their own playing, just a little further down the road, and when I get there I'll very likely still be just as critical of my own skills."

You have to have a certain degree of backbone and resilience to even play in public and let others hear what you sound like. This requires a certain toughness that can easily look like arrogance, even to other musicians who do the very same thing.

Maybe that girl was showing off--kids have been known upon a time to do that--but maybe she is actually just about as uncertain in her own playing as you are of yours. It's hard to tell with teens, the bravado facade often hides somebody desperate to find a way to "make people like them," and so very frightened of rejection.

Just some thoughts...I wasn't there, of course, and even if I was, my thoughts would probably be just as rambling and unfocused, because that's just how my thoughts are...but they're my thoughts. :wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Makar

Post by Makar »

peeplj wrote:Maybe that girl was showing off--kids have been known upon a time to do that--but maybe she is actually just about as uncertain in her own playing as you are of yours. It's hard to tell with teens, the bravado facade often hides somebody desperate to find a way to "make people like them," and so very frightened of rejection.

--James
Och yes - I wasn't really making a point about the girl. She is just fine but last night I wanted her to stop for a bit so my brain could catch up with what I was trying to learn. I think you are absolutely right when you suggest that people always have an insecurity about what they do at whatever level. I give a lot of talks and if I didn't get nervous and worry about what people would think I would probably be very poor at it. However, I'm sure some folks think I strut in like I know it all :)

I was really just venting some angst about wanting to be better, in the real knowledge that time and practice will deal with that issue. My venting is in the present my hope is in the future! It was a kind of camaraderie thing for members who sometimes feel like everybody else has got it sussed and it's just them...

cheers
Stephen
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi Makar,

I've been playing for about four years now.
I never seem to be satisfied with my playing, and i guess
that pushes me to learn more.
I would imagine even the best of players have this feeling,
because thats what drives them to learn more.
However it's a good thing to remind yourself how far you've
actually come, think back to your first attempts, i think this
puts it in perspective :)

Happy whistling to all :)
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Stephen -
sorry for my curiosity, but since you are in the Highlands:
what kind of whistle class are you attending, and where is it, and who is the tutor?

Hans
Makar

Post by Makar »

hans wrote:Stephen -
sorry for my curiosity, but since you are in the Highlands:
what kind of whistle class are you attending, and where is it, and who is the tutor?

Hans
Hi Hans

PM sent with all the details - kept private to protect the innocent :)

cheers
Stephen
markbell

Post by markbell »

I've been playing for 20 years, and am just kind of a fair-to-middlin' player. Not enough practice, busy life, kids, job, etc, etc.

But I enjoy it nevertheless...

sibilo ergo sum
Makar

Post by Makar »

markbell wrote:I've been playing for 20 years, and am just kind of a fair-to-middlin' player. Not enough practice, busy life, kids, job, etc, etc.

But I enjoy it nevertheless...
Maybe just not enough oxygen kicking around for you to spend too much time blowing? :D

I'm relaxed now and enjoying the thought of slow progress 8)
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

peeplj wrote:A couple of thoughts come to mind:

Faster doesn't always equal better. There are folks out there who play like a runaway freight train, and that's impressive on its own level, but it's not something you'd want to listen to all day long if that's the only real skill that they have.
<snip>

--James
This is such a great point that it's hard to know where to begin elaborating on it.

There is more to music than speed. Speed is great. It's impressive. It takes an admirable level of dedication and a couple of heaping spoonfuls of talent to achieve. But it's not the defining characteristic of virtuoso playing.

I obsessed over this with my guitar playing when I was younger. I was so enamoured by the speed demons. Watching them burn up the scales at lightning speed had me five shades of envious green. But guess what... when I went to my records and later CDs, it wasn't the speed demons that I listened to; it was those who could also articulate emotion and manipulate mood with just the right bend here or pause there. Speed was part of the skillset of a great musician and to strive for speed is a part of developing our overall musical personality, but it's just one variable.

More importantly, it would be simply unreasonable to compare a person with four years of whistling experience to myself with only three weeks of experience. While I'm certainly impressed and envious, I also think that meeting with good players in real time would be a great opportunity to pick their brains and come to understand the obstacles that these players had to overcome and the methods by which they overcame them. Stuck here in virtual space, learning by virtue of a book, youtube and a few websites, I would love the opportunity to sit down with experienced players, even though it would expose and accentuate my inexperience and lack of skills!

That said, I can relate to your experience. Just hang in there and keep plugging away. Most of all, try to enjoy the learning experience. This IS supposed to be fun, right? :-)
Makar

Post by Makar »

livinginthepast wrote: This IS supposed to be fun, right? :-)
Certainly more fun that finishing my thesis... :) TBH I'm glad that in my mid 40's I've found an instrument that I would say was meant for me - apart from the odd song with my voice. Fun is just a fling - I'm in love :party:
livinginthepast

Makar wrote: Certainly more fun that finishing my thesis... :) TBH I'm glad that in my mid 40's I've found an instrument that I would say was meant for me - apart from the odd song with my voice. Fun is just a fling - I'm in love :party:
Yay! Another mid-40s person picking up the whistle! I'll be 45 in March.
Makar

Post by Makar »

livinginthepast wrote: Yay! Another mid-40s person picking up the whistle! I'll be 45 in March.
You old git - I'm at least 5 months younger! You know, I've actually started to think that my small double chin affair :oops: has actually started to decrease since I took up the whistle. And that's just 3 months or so. Absolutely more definition about the jawline and throat. Perhaps there is a book and video needing to go out for the middle aged market - 'Whistle your way to a facelift!' Must check out the logisitics of getting that sorted. Probably need a middle aged celeb in the video whistling along with one of the greats and endorsing the 'chin burn'.

Keep tootin old man

Stephen :)
livinginthepast

Makar wrote:
You old git - I'm at least 5 months younger! You know, I've actually started to think that my small double chin affair :oops: has actually started to decrease since I took up the whistle.
Damned whipper-snappers flaunting their youth!

Sadly, my double-chin problem is directly proportional to my beer gut problem. And I'm not willing to give up beer. ;-)

Cheers!
Barney_Stone

Post by Barney_Stone »

livinginthepast wrote:
Makar wrote: Certainly more fun that finishing my thesis... :) TBH I'm glad that in my mid 40's I've found an instrument that I would say was meant for me - apart from the odd song with my voice. Fun is just a fling - I'm in love :party:
Yay! Another mid-40s person picking up the whistle! I'll be 45 in March.
Sh!t. That makes 3 of us :o

I however, despite being 46 (just!) don't have anywhere near as many 'chins' as a Chinese telephone directory :lol:

BS.
"A noble spouter he'll sure turn out, or
An out and outer to be let alone;
Don't try to hinder him, or to bewilder him,
For he is a pilgrim from the Blarney stone."

Francis Sylvester Mahony