pocket knife

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you keep a pocket knife with you?

yes
55%
No
29%
Other
16%

Total votes: 55

Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I've carried a swiss army knife most days since I was a teenager, the campign variety with small scissors. I like the tweezers and toothpick

The Wenger make have better scissors, so I usually have those. Victorinox ones have a rather fragile spring which usually gets bent out of shape and becomes a niusance. Victorinox tweezers are better made.

We recently checked that any folding blade under 3" long is legal in the UK, which the Swiss Army Knives are.

N.B. Never lend your Swiss Army knife to anyone, I've had corkscrews broken, knives notched, and the whole kaboosh lost (or stolen) three times in the office in 15 years.

There's a new store opened in New Bond Street recently that only sells Swiss Army Knives, so I'll be taking a look when I'm next in the city centre.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Swiss Army Knife "Waiter". (Victorinox. The other brand is not so good.)
Corkscrew, blade, screwdriver/bottle opener/wire-stripper, tweezers, toothpick.

When I was a handyman (worst handyman ever, probably) at the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh, this was my constant toolkit. An adjustable wrench, if I was feeling enthusiastic. It helped to sort out 90% of the problems.

Hyldemoer: I am familiar with this superstition of the gift of a knife or scissors affecting a relationship badly. If the recipient of the gift pays a nominal sum (i.e. one penny) to you so that it is a sale, not a gift, the danger is thwarted. It's often done that way in Ireland. Also, you never give the gift of a wallet or purse without putting at least one coin in it. An empty purse is a curse indeed.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

I don't carry a knife on my person but I do have a Swiss Army knife in the fanny pack I always lug around. I used to carry my sailing knife but it raised too many eyebrows. I leave it on the boat now.
Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Yep ... a Shrade Uncle Henry 2" locking blade, in my pocket or belt holster for 20+ years. A great knife. Also a Camillus 2-1/2" multiblade, bought directly from the factory in Camillus, NY in 1975.

Both classic products of the century-old upstate New York knife industry that collapsed in the early part of this decade. Very sad.

I also keep a miniature Leatherman P4 Squirt in my music gig bag. Great for changing strings and minor instrument repairs.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I recently bought a Swiss Army Card. It is like one of the smaller knives in a credit card form factor so I can carry it in my wallet. Mine includes a LED light, a magnifier and a pen, along with some basic tools and a tiny knife. I expect the tiny pen would do almost as well with packing tape.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I have a swiss army knife in the car, one in my computer bag (so I have one in my work space. It gets removed when I fly) and one in my shave kit when I travel. I check my bags in since I'm hamstrung with a computer bag and something else and I really don't like dragging it through the aisle way.

The swiss army knife has to have a normal blade, a cork screw and flat/philips screw driver as a minimum. Any thing else is gravy.

I haven't flown in 6 months so I'm not sure about the check-in policy of the airlines I usually use.
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

SOG X-Ray Vision - plain looking handle, mean looking 3.75" blade
Denny

Post by Denny »

Buck folding 3 blade, since 1972
except for a while in the 1990s when I carried a Swiss Army knife 'cause I needed the screw drivers and cork screw.
Innocent Bystander wrote:Swiss Army Knife "Waiter". (Victorinox. The other brand is not so good.)
Corkscrew, blade, screwdriver/bottle opener/wire-stripper, tweezers, toothpick.
yes that one....although I'd call the Victorinox as not so good (except compared to the other)

Having to buy and maintain a few really good knives for the leather shop I am now wondering how I've put up with the steel in the Buck for this long.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I always carry a 2.5 inch locking back, walnut handled pocket knife. It says Lakota Falcon in the blade. I'm also a fed and it's never been a process. If I forget my ID and go through the metal detectors, the guards have never said a thing when i put it in the little basket with keys, change and wallet. I've also inadvertently left it in bag as it went through airport scanners. No one ever noticed. That makes me wonder....
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

dwinterfield wrote:I've also inadvertently left it in bag as it went through airport scanners. No one ever noticed. That makes me wonder....
And yet they noticed my practice chanter... and darn near made me miss my flight.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

dwinterfield wrote:I've also inadvertently left it in bag as it went through airport scanners. No one ever noticed. That makes me wonder....
The whole no sharp edges in an airplane thing is almost entirely a great big--well, placebo might be a politer term than hoax, but either work.

What made the 911 hijackings work wasn't the box cutters; it was the doctrine, standard until then, that hijackers all want to fly a plane to some airport, land, and then negotiate some set of demands. In that situation, getting the plane onto the tarmack as quickly as possible was obviously the right strategy; on the ground there are far more opportunities for rescue, and everyone is safer.

So, pilots and aircrew were taught not to resist, the same way banks used to (dunno if they still are) have big signs saying "don't play hero!" on the teller's side of the counter. If someone shows up to rob you, give him the money, the exploding ink bundle, and get him out of the bank for the cops to deal with. No one wants a hostage negotiation situation.

But ObL taught us something about hijacking: not everyone wants to negotiate. Now we know that, no one will ever seize control of an airplane again. With or without a nailfile, swiss army knife, or cuticle scissors.

If they try, the passengers & crew will react like those on the fourth 911 plane reacted once they figured out what was up.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I've carried this thing -- Swiss Army Soldier model -- off and on for 20 years, more off now that I can't carry it with me flying. It did, however, ride back and forth in my laptop bag between Houston and Kansas City a couple of times after 9/11 until I remembered it was there. The crack security droids never did find it.

I've also carried this every now and again ever since my grocery store days 40 years age. These are really handy little gizmos, but alas, they are not allowed when flying any more, either.

Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I was a Federal employee 30+ years. I never carried anything on my person that I couldn't take in to work.
Sadly, I don't have in that kinda time, but I quit carrying a pocket knife for the same reason- couldn't have it on me at work. Up until then, I always had a hawkbill one that my dad gave me when I was a kid. All self respecting mountain gals have a knife.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

cowtime wrote:All self respecting mountain gals have a knife.
Wow! That's a good thing to know in advance. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

djm wrote:
cowtime wrote:All self respecting mountain gals have a knife.
Wow! That's a good thing to know in advance. :o

djm
Obviously, Some of us are looking for the ones with no self-respect. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!