Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

I'll keep praying Roland. In the meantime here's a Babylon 5 quote that I've come to live by:
I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'what if life were fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?' Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Cork

Post by Cork »

I'm sorry to hear of this setback.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

So sorry to hear of this.

Warmest healing thoughts to her and to you both.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

Roland, My thoughts and prayers are going out for you and Lesley. I'm sorry she has had to have this latest setback. It sounds like you have a wonderfull team of doctors caring for her. I'm hoping for a quick recovery.
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Thank you all. No news yet, nor expected for a while. Thank you for that lovely quote, Cofaidh - it did help.
I have talked myself back to sanity! The other day Lesley and I watched a programme on people who had won the Victoria Cross, for acts of extreme courage. We talked about how we defined courage, and spent quite a while coming up with all sorts of examples, which were not all-encompassing but expressed at least part of what we meant. Lesley finished by quoting Pericles, and I have probably got this wrong, so bear with me: The man who can most truly be accounted brave is he who knows best the meaning of what is sweet in life, and what is terrible, and then goes out determined to meet what is to come.
To me, that is Lesley. She loves life, people, our land, music, dance - she knows what is sweet. She has known and faced what is terrible, over the last few months particularly, but through her work, her insight, her knowledge, as well. And no matter what, she goes out to face it, and she keeps going out, and she keeps facing it. She is so incredibly brave that I struggle to live up to her, to keep up with her. I can only try, and keep trying. I am with her, no matter what, and she is not fighting alone. I am going back now and will wait there until she wakes up. We will do this together. Sorry I panicked - her pain was terrifying.
Roland
Cork

Post by Cork »

Good to hear from you. I've been nearby, waiting for news.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Ro, you have shown great courage too. We're here for you both.

Hugs and strength to you.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Sending the best of warm healing thoughts and Caribbean sunshine!

Thank you both, Lesley and Ro for teaching us all so much about love.

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
lalit

Post by lalit »

It sounds as though Lesley has wonderful surgeons. I am praying with all my heart that things get better for her soon, and for you too, Ro.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Prayers and songs going up here in California as well.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Roland,

You are, as always, in our prayers. Lesley is strong. You will get through this.

Patrick
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

from the Book of Common Prayer-

Oh God, the strength of the weak and the comfort of sufferers:
Mercifully accept our prayers, and grant to your servant Lesley the help of your power, that her sickness may be turned into health, and our sorrow into joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thank you all so, so much. Lesley is awake and knows me. Her pain is much less.

Her surgeon stayed with us, waiting until she woke. He talked of how deep an impression Lesley has made on him - she is not just "one of his patients" but, he says, a symbol of courage, of survival by sheer grit and determination. He said he feels he can see through her to her very soul, which is clear and strong, like crystal. I was totally overcome. I knew this about her, but admit I may be biased: for someone else to feel this so strongly, who or what is this woman I love so dearly? And I know she will look at me, and chuckle, and be just my wife again.

We cannot tell yet how this will have affected her ability to walk. There is always a risk and Lesley has asked already this morning. The surgeon was totally honest with her, respecting her wish to know the truth. She knew, we knew, from the beginning that things might not work out as we hoped, and she has the strength to rebuild, to "paint her own silver lining", as annie says. But that terrible pain is gone, and thanks to her amazing donor she has stood the surgery better than anyone expected.

The care and help we have had from Lesley's surgeon has been just unbelievable. He was working on Friday, flew up Friday night so that he could operate on her himself, in his own time on his weekend off. And he is still with her now, in case of problems. That is where I should be, and where I am going now, but I had to let you know how she was.

My grateful, grateful thanks.

Roland
djm

Post by djm »

This is all too upsetting. I'm afraid I can't take much more of this. I say we take a vote on it and let Lesley know it's time to stop messing about and just get better, already.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

She is doing well, dj. You can relax. Everyone is pleased with her, she is wide awake, virtually painfree and quite talkative! I will of course give her your message and I'm sure she will be pleased to comply!
Ro