Why does this irk me so much?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

OK, forgive me, since I'm a product of that same educational system. :oops:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fyffer »

I use Google News often, and on Election Day, I found this one (thank goodness I captured it, because it was fixed rather quickly). I had to highlight the word to point it out to a coworker who didn't see it.

Also, on election day, I followed another link regarding free stuff being given away to folks who had voted. Regardless of the intrigue of the non-edible items mentioned in this article, I found this caption disturbing:

Ummm ... isn't that actually a "star-shaped donut"?

Sometimes, I can't stand myself for continually catching these things ...
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
dwest

Post by dwest »

Some stars are donut shaped, an over-filled donut can be down right spherical.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

fyffer wrote:Ummm ... isn't that actually a "star-shaped donut"?
Could even be a star-shaped doughnut, but I haven't bitten into one to make sure...

I saw the pic and thought for sure the error was going to involve "sex toys". Alas.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

BrassBlower wrote:I've seen two good ones perpetrated by our local school system:

One was on a poster in a local discount store and had to do with our Grade 1-6 "Shinning Stars". :boggle:

The other was on a sign outside a school for the whole world to see. It said "Word of the week: Deliberateness." :-?

No wonder Johnny can't read. :o
When my daughter started preschool at the age of three, she was already reading (repeat after me: "hyperlexia is fun"). She walked into the classroom and saw a box labeled "Mr. Potatoe Head." She put her hands on her hips, rolled her eyes, and said "what is this...Dan Quayle preschool?" The teacher nearly died....

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Bubbie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bubbie »

Martin Milner wrote:In another, people are talking on a balcony while watching troops march out of Camelot. It's the same troops on the same stretch of road re-used in several shots. We lost interest in the conversation, and were counting the number of times the same horseman passes by a certain tree.

The errors detract from whatever atmosphere was being created in the show, and now we watch it with half an eye out for the next mistake.
I've noticed the same type of sloppy work in low budget flicks. It gets so terribly boring when they do that. Are they so lazy that they can't find a couple of new locations and establish the shots there to create more visual interest? But I suppose that takes time, and time is money.

A favorite continuity gaff of mine was from the American television show "Davis Rules" with Randy Quaid and Johnny Winters. In one scene Winters is sitting at a lunch counter with a huge partially eaten piece of birthday cake on the plate in front of him, and Quaid is sitting on a stool next to him. They cut to a shot of Quaid and when they cut back to Johnny there is now a huge piece of untouched cake on the plate. They cut again to Quaid and when the camera comes back to Johnny it appears to be the same piece of partially eaten cake as in the original shot. In reading this I guess one might think that Winters ate the first piece of cake and he was working on a second piece in the third shot. What makes it funny to watch is that the scene is meant to convey a progression in time of about thirty seconds. They obviously did a couple of takes and didn't pay any attention to the cake when they pasted the edits together for the final clip.
Caveat: See 'em play before you swallow what they say.
Bubbie