Having trouble

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbfluter

Having trouble

Post by sbfluter »

Since I acquired a mandolin I've had trouble motivating myself to keep up with my flute. I really suck at flute and whistle. My embouchure is only getting worse. I suck at the mandolin too, but it is so much fun. It is nice to play an instrument without sitting up straight or worrying about breathing. I don't know what to do. I need to focus or else I'll never be a good musician.

Just wanted to check in and complain. Thanks for your time.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

If you could be a musician, then music begins within you, and not from without.

An instrument is only a machine, and its manipulation is only a matter of technicalities.

Reach deep within yourself, and then reach deeper, and then deeper still, and when you've found the depths of your heart, then let it out, as music.

Begin small, begin simple, and let your heart be your guide, always.

:-)
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ketida »

I've been playing and studying music almost my entire life, on several different instruments, so I've heard plenty of teachers advice about the importance of dedication. And it's true, if you aren't dedicated, and willing to practice, you'll never be a good musician.

But, IMHO, if you don't truly love the instrument... and if, after a serious try, you're not getting any enjoyment from it....then move on, try something else. Not everybody is good at everything. It doesn't mean you can't make music just 'cause the flute (or whatever) is not your cup o' tea. If you enjoy the mandolin, then that's what you should be playing!
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

I think they said do whatever you find fun at the moment, and if none of your instruments seem fun, then don't bother them. Music should never feel like work. If you want to be a musician, then you are one. It's just your technique that might need a little work. :wink:

I played "at" the guitar for quite a few years and enjoyed it but wouldn't play for anyone. Now after six months I shamelessly play the flute in a packed pub. Go figure! Don't fight nature, go with it. But do expect to put in some serious time. But it's not hard when you love it, my problem is stopping so I can get work done!
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Cork

Re: Having trouble

Post by Cork »

sbfluter wrote:...I really suck at flute and whistle. My embouchure is only getting worse. I suck at the mandolin too,...
In addition to what I just said, as above...

When it comes to musical instruments, a sign of real, genuine progress is when the student can acknowledge that they really are in serious need of improvement.

Call it a moment of honesty, but that's near universally where great musicians begin, yes, perhaps including you, Diane.

So, you suck at playing? Great! Now, get serious about it, and get on with it, one tone at a time, and straight from the heart.

Yes, you can!
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I'm kinda the opposite of you... I have played trumpet for a LONG time and have always loved it. The Irish flute has all but taken over my musical life, though! I still practice a few times a week with the trumpet, but the flute is my current "love". I don't think I suck at it any more, either! But then again, I haven't really sucked on the trumpet for about 30 years!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Personally I'm just obsessed with the sound a flute makes.
Always have been.

Irish music... on flute... just gets me.

Ok... Fiddle also does but I have to pick.

Which is to the point.

Dump all your other instruments and just play flute.

No whistle, no mando.

Find some flute tunes that just get you and listen to it.

Get those tunes in your head and then learn to play them.

Now it might be that that you aren't that interested in flute.

Pick an instrument.

Stick to it.

Learn and love the tunes... the music.

That is what is most important.

Later you can try another instrument.

You need to focus... and love what you focus on.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Carey wrote:Go figure! Don't fight nature, go with it. But do expect to put in some serious time. But it's not hard when you love it, my problem is stopping so I can get work done!
I have the same problem (with having the work done)... Can't keep from adding one instrument every year... or less.... Too late to be a professional anyway (might not have the skill either)! So what's left is "just" pleasure... So don't blame yourself for that.

Pascal.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

I love the flute, I love the whistle, I like the low whistle less after I got the flute, I love strumming some new tunes on the guitar and also like to play my loved tunes on the keyboard. Bare fun, no dedication or serious faces.

The flute though, I practice everyday and care about perfectionism :) I guess I'm a bit dedicated to it...
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

I can certainly sympathise! In fact I've been considering writing a similar post for some time. I gave up the fiddle (after playing for about two decades) due to a shoulder problem and have been fluting for less than 2 years.

Maybe it's because I can't remember the early years on the fiddle, but I feel like I'm really struggling with the flute, so I too could do with some words of encouragement! :)

I have a really great instrument (Chris Wilkes Pratten keyless in ABW), so I can't blame that!

I've learned quite a few tunes now, but I'm not very happy with them. Also my cuts and rolls are coming on okay, but playing is still a frustrating experience. I think in my case it's to do with flow - because my embouchure is still developing (and will be for several more years they tell me!) I have to keep stopping for breath in inappropriate places (and of course more often than I like), so the flow of the tune is interrupted which I find very frustrating. I suppose that with the fiddle (as with you on the mando) it's reasonably easy to keep a tune going once you've mastered the basics.

If anyone has some advice or encouragement regarding this flow thing, I'd be very grateful indeed.

I'm not tempted to give up and try another instrument - I love the flute! But it is sometimes hard not to smash it against the wall when things aren't going right... :o Don't worry Chris, only joking...
Flutered
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

I agree as others have said above, that you need to find the instrument(s) that suit you best - it may be flute or it could be stringed instruments or ones with buttons. So if you find Mandolin more rewarding, go with that for a while.

But don't sell your flute just yet! You might find that coming back to it in a few months time will be surprising and rewarding or you might not.. At the end of the day the flute is a very simple instrument but can also be a bl**dy frustrating instrument. I think everyone experiences that.

I took up playing concertina about this time last year - I like the co-ordination required between both hands - I like the fact that you press a button and it generates a good consistent solid tone. There's an ease about it in that sense but challenges in other areas. It's a change from playing flute or whistle but I know that at the end of the day, when I play well on flute - it's very very satisfying and I have no doubt that despite the little frustrations in playing flute, that in my case, it is what suits me best. Or in other words, when I play a tune well on concertina, I think 'that's nice - good stuff' but when I play well on flute, I think 'that's wonderful'!
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

I wanted to add, that life is full of phases - while you feel you don't want to play your flute now, it might change back again in the future, near or far.
david_h

Post by david_h »

Maybe mandolin does suit you best. I switched the other way a couple of years ago and have not regretted it, yet.

I have realised that, for me, practising things that require coordination of my hands and fingers is more tiring and slower to show any progress than using lungs and lips etc. Breathing and embouchure development is still very slow but at the end of a week there is something to show for it. With the mandolin, and to a lesser extent fingering on the flute, it was much more of two steps forward one step back, with occasional stagnation.

Maybe it is the other way round for you.

The main reason for switching was a realisation that I wanted to hold notes but did not like the sound of tremelo, and that my interest was in melody.

But I just got new set of strings.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I like instruments. Period. I started out as a child learning to play guitar from an accordian teacher. I know that it is hard to conceive now, but guitar was really not that popular in 1953, at least in my home town. Somewhere along the way I started playing recorders, again reading music. Then I got the urge to play the flute and the violin. Now I have a cello, viola, two violins, two mandolins, a guitar, and more flutes and whistles than I care to mention. Right now my playing time is pretty much divided between the flute (Irish and silver alto) and a new fiddle that I am trying to break in.

There are two sides to every coin. One side says that if you intend to be serious about your music, then you need to stick with one instrument. However, the other side of the coin says to go ahead and enjoy playing other instruments at the same time, especially if you don't plan to be a professional musician. I do think that it is a good idea to stick with one partner (wife, husband, or significant other), but I give myself more liberty when it comes to my other loves.
BillG

Post by BillG »

gododdin wrote: I've learned quite a few tunes now, but I'm not very happy with them. Also my cuts and rolls are coming on okay, but playing is still a frustrating experience. I think in my case it's to do with flow - because my embouchure is still developing (and will be for several more years they tell me!) I have to keep stopping for breath in inappropriate places (and of course more often than I like), so the flow of the tune is interrupted which I find very frustrating. I suppose that with the fiddle (as with you on the mando) it's reasonably easy to keep a tune going once you've mastered the basics.

If anyone has some advice or encouragement regarding this flow thing, I'd be very grateful indeed.

I'm not tempted to give up and try another instrument - I love the flute! But it is sometimes hard not to smash it against the wall when things aren't going right... :o Don't worry Chris, only joking...
I took a few lessons from Bill Ochs some time ago and he told me to drop a note when I need to take a breath and the FLOW will continue. After listening to me a few minutes he marked the notes (I was reading) that I should drop and explained when to drop them. It was hard to do at first but I got used to it.
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)