I invented someting, now what do I do?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MagicSailor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I invented someting, now what do I do?

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi

In an IRC brainstorming session with a friend a couple of days ago we invented something.

Our invention is not unique in what it does and how it does it, there are already many competing products on the market.

What is unique is the materials used and the design which is the result of choosing those materials. In short, our design will cost a fraction of any competing product to manufacture.

My question is, how do we go about figuring out whether it is patentable (without letting the cat out of the bag), and how do we go about finding investors, getting manufacturing started and getting it to market before someone steals the idea.

Sorry that I have to be so vague here, but it's so simple that I can say very little before someone says "Aha!" and steals the whole thing.

And just if you wondered.. no, this is not some harebrained perpetum mobile device that won't work in real life. It's a very simple device that works on well proven principles. It's the choice of materials that enables us to build it so much cheaper.

In other words, we were looking at ways to make one cheaply when suddenly, we said "but why not make it from this"?

What do you guys think?

Owen
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Speak with a patent attorney?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

MTGuru wrote:Speak with a patent attorney?
The attorney would probably want to be paid...

Owen
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MagicSailor wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Speak with a patent attorney?
The attorney would probably want to be paid...
Yeah, they're nasty about that, aren't they? :lol:

If it's something involving cold fusion using bilge water from your boat, count me in!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
djm

Post by djm »

There are large companies specializing in scooping up new inventions for a pitance. They are successful because, as you note, there is a whole lot of knowledge, expertise, and capital required to bring a patented product to market. A patent lawyer is a good place to start, as they are sworn to confidentiality, and can give you an idea of what is involved in getting a patent (takes years and dollars). I am concerned that you talk about choice of materials as being key. If you don't make/grow/manufacture these materials yourself, but are reliant on the products of others, you are on much shakier ground as regards patents.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

djm wrote:There are large companies specializing in scooping up new inventions for a pitance. They are successful because, as you note, there is a whole lot of knowledge, expertise, and capital required to bring a patented product to market. A patent lawyer is a good place to start, as they are sworn to confidentiality, and can give you an idea of what is involved in getting a patent (takes years and dollars). I am concerned that you talk about choice of materials as being key. If you don't make/grow/manufacture these materials yourself, but are reliant on the products of others, you are on much shakier ground as regards patents.

djm
I have not found any instance of this material used for this purpose. It's manufactured by a very large worldwide corporation, so there is at least no risk of the sourcy drying up.

And no, Guru, no cold fusion. Far simpler than that.

This is a product that many people want, but few can afford. With my design, a lot more people will be able to afford it.

Owen
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

William Bajzek
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

monkey587 wrote:This might be useful:
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... lus-video/
Very interesting, thanks!

(Who need attorneys when we have the C&F pub?) ;)

Owen
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

MagicSailor wrote:And no, Guru, no cold fusion. Far simpler than that.
Owen
I, on the other hand, will be trying to learn ColdFusion between semesters for work related purposes.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."