Netbook advice

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Which netbook?

Acer Aspire 1
50%
Asus EEPC 1000
50%
MSI Wind 100
No votes

Total votes: 4

Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm leaning pretty strongly towards the Asus Eee PC 1000HA. I don't need bluetooth or wireless "n" (I don't really know or understand either one, so they don't really exist in my universe). 160GB HD, 6 cell battery with excellent life (4.5 to 7 hours depending upon WIFI on, etc.), XP, 1GB RAM (more than enough to run XP) and my favorite open source programs (Open Office and Firefox).

Overall, it seems like this will do everything I want and more. Plus, it supposedly runs cooler than any other netbook which I'd think is easier on the internal components, plus removing one back panel allows upgrades to 2GB RAM, the HDD, etc.

Now, I need a price drop...$399 is the lowest price I've found. Maybe the upcoming holiday sales will drop it below $350 and then I'll snap one up.

Eric
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Jayhawk wrote:I'm leaning pretty strongly towards the Asus Eee PC 1000HA. I don't need bluetooth or wireless "n" (I don't really know or understand either one, so they don't really exist in my universe). 160GB HD, 6 cell battery with excellent life (4.5 to 7 hours depending upon WIFI on, etc.), XP, 1GB RAM (more than enough to run XP) and my favorite open source programs (Open Office and Firefox).

Overall, it seems like this will do everything I want and more. Plus, it supposedly runs cooler than any other netbook which I'd think is easier on the internal components, plus removing one back panel allows upgrades to 2GB RAM, the HDD, etc.

Now, I need a price drop...$399 is the lowest price I've found. Maybe the upcoming holiday sales will drop it below $350 and then I'll snap one up.

Eric
As good a choice as any. I'm in the market for a netbook myself, and after all the research I've done over the last few days, I really feel like one is as good as the other if you're gonna use XP. They all have similar specs with similar prices.
The hard part for me has been the XP/Linux decision. I've decided that Linux is what I want, so I'm leaning towards the Dell, which seems to have the best option with Ubuntu 8.04.1. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it, though.
I'd be interested in a thread update whenever you do get one and can give your overall opinion on it.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Acers are pretty solid machines.

"N" wireless is just the next generation wireless networking standard.

In simple terms is should make your internet speeds considerably faster. "Should" :)

I would opt for that if you can do it.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MagicSailor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MagicSailor »

Aanvil wrote:Acers are pretty solid machines.

"N" wireless is just the next generation wireless networking standard.

In simple terms is should make your internet speeds considerably faster. "Should" :)

I would opt for that if you can do it.
And Bluetooth is very useful for connecting all sorts of peripherals. You can use it to connect a wireless mouse (without having to plug an extra transceiver into the computer), synchronise the phonebook in a mobile phone if you feel so inclined, connect wirelessly to a printer or camera etc.

You can of course buy a USB Bluetooth adapter (which is what I have), but having it built in means it won't take up a USB port.

Just my 2 cents worth. You get what you pay for...

Owen
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

MSI Wind gets fabulous reviews at newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152066
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

This is a pretty stupid, basic question but I never even knew these netbooks existed until I got a Dell catalog about a week ago.

For my job, we have to access a secure, web-based application to look up client's immunization records (it's a state-wide registry) before we give 'em shots. We are going to a new, supposedly paperless process which includes a signature pad (like the credit card things you sign at the store) to collect the client's (or their parent's) signature for permission. We will be doing this in real time, as we sit at our table about to give the shot(s) to someone. Would these netbooks have the capability of supporting the signature pad and the software that goes with it? We really only need internet access (which we will connect to through our network at the office) - no other programs, no printers, etc. These would be great if they would work because they would take up so much less room in our already crowded workspace.

Of course, it's probably a moot point because there's very little chance that we could convince TPTB to actually purchase any of the things (even though we have money in our budget to pay for them, the higher ups will say they are not "necessary" because we have other laptops). But if I'm going to approach TPTB with this suggestion, I'd like to at least know that they would work.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Well, I just walked right up to the cliff and jumped tonight...I ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/904HA-8-9-Inch-Ne ... 559&sr=1-1

Met all my the same specs as the 1000ha except for the smaller screen. I've looked at the Acer with the same sized screen, and it seemed fine to me.

It should arrive sometime before Thanksgiving, and I'll let you all know what I think of it.

Eric
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Argh...darn Amazon and their free super saver shipping. They're not allegedly even gone to ship it out until the 18th and the estimated arrival date is 11/25-12/2. Super saver must mean it's going overland via a wagon train at that rate.

Oh well...my estimate of "before Thanksgiving" was obviously a bit off. At least it's coming before I head off to Miami for work the week of 12/15...it'll give me something to play with while I'm traveling.

Eric
missy

Post by missy »

Got ours (see previous post) on Monday night.

Set up was easy. Had to put Office onto a thumb drive since this thing doesn't have a CD, but that wasn't an issue and everything installed quite nicely (but you'd have to have another computer to get Office onto the thumb drive).

It fits easily in Noah's backpack, even with all the other stuff he drags back and forth. It also fits nicely in a gallon zip lock bag for "waterproof" carrying in said back pack.

Keyboard is just a tad "squished" together vs. the laptop I'm currently typing this on. Wireless hooked up to our quickly.

All in all, it seems a good fit for what we were looking for.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Missy - that's great that you have the netbook and it's working out well for Noah. That 80GB HDD is twice as large as my current desktop computer, and it has the same RAM as my desk top. You can dowload a lot of movies and shows on an 80GB drive...better make sure Noah isn't watching movies instead of paying attention in class!

I think within a few years even laptops will move away from DVD and CD drives...kind of like floppy and then those smaller discs that no one uses and I can't even remember the name of. I saw the other day Microsoft was moving towards downloaded games.

Good news, Amazon lied to me...I just received an email saying that my package was shipped with UPS, had left the facility, and it should be delivered on 11/18! Good thing I didn't pay for "upgraded" 2 business day shipping (which promised me delivery by...11/18.

I'll post my comments when it arrives. I haven't been this excited since my last flute was in the mail.

Eric
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

My Dell netbook came in today, typing on it now. :) I opted for the Ubuntu setup, with an 8gig SSD and 1gig RAM. So far, everything runs perfectly, but I need to test out the abilities to play media files (mp3s, flash, etc.). I'm glad I chose Ubuntu, I like it a lot so far, and the entire system itself runs faster than I expected.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Hey - I'm typing this on my eee pc right now. Once I figured out how to connect to my wireless router, life was good. I'd forgotten what a pain it is to recreate your bookmarks and all. The keyboard at about 95% of a laptop's size is great, the screen at 8.9" diagonally is big enough, and I tried watching a netflix movie and it worked without any problems. Except for the weird placement off the right shift key - which would be a major problem if I didn't have stretch, flute playing hands - I'm a happy camper.

Eric
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Jayhawk wrote:I'd forgotten what a pain it is to recreate your bookmarks and all.
For future reference you can export bookmarks to a file in all the major browsers and then import them into another browser. Takes next to no time at all.

You just stick the file on a pendrive or email it to yourself so you can access it on the new computer.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

chrisoff wrote: For future reference you can export bookmarks to a file in all the major browsers and then import them into another browser. Takes next to no time at all.

You just stick the file on a pendrive or email it to yourself so you can access it on the new computer.
Oh, now you tell me...I'm about 1/2 way done (I was going to do the rest tonight).

So...if I import now will it mess with what I've already set up (I've done some reorganization which I'm very pleased with and don't want to lose).

I wonder if I can import address from my outlook express and suck them into my Gmail somehow...I'll have to look into that later.

FWIW - Netflix movies work well. The speakers aren't super loud, but they're louder than my wife's full size Compaq notebook. Since the screen is small, to watch movies the netbook is close, and therefore the speakers are more than loud enough for movies or internet radio while browsing. Keypad is a bit smaller than the compaq, but very usable. Screen image is great, but small (8.9" diagonal). Web pages are rendering in full size with no side to side scrolling (but obviously top to bottom scrolling still exists). This little computer is a huge upgrade compared to my now 6 or 7 year old compaq desktop I've been using - 4x the HDD, double the RAM (512 to 1GB)...pretty sweet overall. I'm glad I bought one of the 10" size keyboard bases - any smaller and my fingers would have been too large to type comfortably. I am amazed at how cool this puppy runs...the fan is very quiet, and it runs much less than my wife's laptop fan runs.

It did not come with any anti-virus programs loaded, but that's a good thing to me since I didn't have to remove Norton before downloading and installing AVG.

The two negatives are:

1) Right shift key is a bit of a stretch to reach (it's one key placement further to the right than on a standard keyboad...this allows for the arrow keys to stay together.
2) Dual touch scrolling on the mousepad doesn't work well with Firefox 3 (but works perfectly on IE7). This dual touch stuff on a mousepad/touchpad is new to me. It's nice on IE, but I don't like IE. The arrow keys work just as well for scrolling when I'm using Firefox (which is all the time except for Netflix which doesn't like Firefox for movie viewing).

Your happy camper,

Eric