Is there a better name?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Or you could go scots and call it a whissul.

How about bowing to popular perception and calling it a flute? Agreed it's confusing, but among ourselves we could mention the fipple.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

This was asked years ago and someone suggested Coolmaphone. I dig it.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=17029
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by West »

Innocent Bystander wrote:How about bowing to popular perception and calling it a flute?
That is very tempting, isn't it?

"Hey, is that a flute?"
"No, it's a tin whistle."
"Oh. Well it looks like a flute."
"Well, technically it is a type of flute..."
"Ah!"
"...but 'flute' usually refers to the transverse flute."
"The what?"
"The... uh, nevermind. It's a flute."
"I thought so!"
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

It really depends where you are and who you are talking to. I'd imagine in America simply saying "Whistle" would just confuse people. In the UK they use the term "Penny Whistle" more so, it's not really used in Ireland though people will still know what you are talking about here. In Italy they call it an Irish Flute. If I was in Italy I would simply call it "Flauto Irlandese". The important thing is that whoever you are talking to or whoever your intended audience is understands exactly what you are talking about.

In Ireland it's generally called a "Tin Whistle" or just "Whistle" for short and informal. For example if you see an advertisement for lessons it will say "Tin Whistle Lessons". Sure someone might bring along a wooden whistle but they are still taking "Tin Whistle Lessons". So if you are referring to them collectively you'll still call them Tin Whistles, However if you are talking about a single wooden whistle then you would call it just that. If you are in a pub and someone asks you what instrument you play you would simply say "Whistle".
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Floostle?
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Leel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

fred
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Leel wrote:fred
There's no way I'm blowing anything called Fred.

Stay Hoopy,
Mike
dehavik

Post by dehavik »

I've noticed that when I say "tinwhistle" or "pennywhistle" among the uninitiated, I get confused looks and often the "is that a real instrument?" question. However, the "Irish whistle" label garners a comprehending expression and the "Oh, like in Riverdance!" response. I just call it an Irish Whistle, and spare listeners the embarrassment of showcasing their ignorance. When they recognize what I'm talking about, there is often greater interest.
Innocent Bystander

hoopy mike wrote:

Stay Hoopy,
Mike

You guys stay away from me, just in case. I've got a low-D whistle here, and I'm not afraid to use it.
Innocent Bystander

dehavik wrote:I've noticed that when I say "tinwhistle" or "pennywhistle" among the uninitiated, I get confused looks and often the "is that a real instrument?" question. However, the "Irish whistle" label garners a comprehending expression and the "Oh, like in Riverdance!" response. I just call it an Irish Whistle, and spare listeners the embarrassment of showcasing their ignorance. When they recognize what I'm talking about, there is often greater interest.

Irish whistle? Nearly there! Wait... no... I've got it: Irish Flute!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
hoopy mike wrote:

Stay Hoopy,
Mike

You guys stay away from me, just in case. I've got a low-D whistle here, and I'm not afraid to use it.
you don't seem to be dealing well with rejection.... :wink:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Now this is just from somebody who plays a lot of gigs, mostly on Highland pipes but quite a few with uilleann pipes and low whistle (solo or with a trio including guitar and fiddle).

I find that when speaking to potential clients using terms like "whistle" conjures up the wrong impression. They think of a coach's whistle, not a musical instrument.

"Low whistle" is unfamiliar to them and has to be explained.

I've found the best way to describe what I play (inaccurate to insiders as it may be) is to call it an "Irish flute". This immediately brings to mind the sound that I'm actually going to be creating at the gig, as they think of Titanic etc. And the term is accurate in that the low whistle is a kind of flute, and it's Irish, unlike the wood transverse flutes developed in London in the early-to-mid 19th century for the playing of Classical music that we call "Irish flutes".
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

The "obverse-flute"?? ... nah ;)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mitch wrote:The "obverse-flute"?? ... nah ;)
Only on the Dark Side. :D For observant obscurantists only.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

hoopy mike wrote:

Stay Hoopy,
Mike
Actually, note: I said fred (lower case) specifically to differentiate it from "Fred" for a flute.

Makes perfect sense to me, eh?