Newbie November Homework Assignment

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Tia wrote:go find a corner
a lot of us still have issues with corners :evil:
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Not a newbie but when I WAS a newbie I took my Sausato into an indoor pool at a hotel in Virginia. While my daughter swam I played, and the acoustics were amazing. I felt like I was at Severance Hall (Cleveland's world class symphony hall).

I actually played a concert at Severance and I was super tempted to go on stage and play the whistle there but chickened out.
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I was on a houseboat trip cruising up the once mighty Murray River near Redhill in South Australia. We were passing through a section of the river which swept around in a huge arc with big red stone cliffs on either side. I was up top on the sundeck of the houseboat playing alternately between flute and whistle. It was a pretty strange acoustic effect listening to myself on a three second delay (I timed it) as the sound came sweeping back off the rock face.
I have a spot at home where I stand in the doorway between my lounge room and kitchen and play. If I position myself just right, I get a weird echo to one side and a deadened sound (because of the soft furniture in the lounge) on the other. It took a while getting used to the effect, but now I like it. I get the benefit of hearing a clean sound in one ear and the reverb effect in the other and can tell what sounds good either way without having to play the tune once through in each room. I discovered the effect when I was walking from the kitchen into the lounge while playing my whistle. Anyone else have any weird acoustic experinces?
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I drop a letter grade myself. Yesterday, I was in a stairwell tuning my guitar and didn't have a whistle on me. summa beach.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

Is it possible to do this month's assignment in December?

I don't think I'll ever be able to take a decent breath till then... Caught the flu two days ago. :cry:
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Yes, you may. Please manage your time so that you are able to complete your new calendar year projections when they come due.
白飞梦
Bethanie

Post by Bethanie »

The day I got my whistle (Clarke D) it was banned by my daughter to the car, where I play it while sitting at stoplights. This has the fringe benefit of lower stress levels: I don't chomp at the bit so much if I whistle while I wait.

Also, it's really awesome when I'm able to play it elsewhere. My band practices in a large church auditorium. I'm usually playing keys, but this week I whipped out my whistle for a couple of songs. WOW - I sounded better than I ever thought I would!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I don't recommend playing at stoplights. I have come to appreciate a good traffic jam and road construction. I'll put the car in park and play. A slow drive thru line is fun too.
白飞梦
Slanj!

Post by Slanj! »

November 2, 2008

My wife and I took a hike up a mountain, spread out a beach towel on a nice flat rock, opened a bottle of wine...

...and I played my Clarke D. :)

We got some interested looks from other hikers.
Bethanie

Post by Bethanie »

mutepointe wrote:I don't recommend playing at stoplights. I have come to appreciate a good traffic jam and road construction. I'll put the car in park and play. A slow drive thru line is fun too.
It's amazing how efficiently you practice when you know you only have between 20 and 120 seconds in which to play. :twisted:

I think I know what you mean, though. For safety reasons, I've started to watch my rear-view mirror, and not play until I know I won't be rear-ended with a whistle in my mouth. But a traffic jam and road construction? I must be one of the few Americans for whom that's a less-than-yearly event. Envy me.
Whiddler
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

One time I played in a garage and it sounded pretty cool.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

I played cornet in a public lavatory for the Lord Mayor of London once...
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

I'll be playing in a wide open Vermont field this weekend.