Raggle Taggle Gypsy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Raggle Taggle Gypsy

Post by kintailpipes »

Does anyone know where I can find the dots for this tune and perhaps other tunes by the Pogues? or is it the Waterboys?
Thanks
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

How about Planxty? :)

Jason
hoopy mike

Re: Raggle Taggle Gypsy

Post by hoopy mike »

kintailpipes wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the dots for this tune and perhaps other tunes by the Pogues? or is it the Waterboys?
Thanks
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/2681
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

A transcription of the version that Planxty recorded is in Breathnach's Folk Music and Dances of Ireland as noted from the source singer. If I'm remembering correctly, the source for this version was a traveller named something like John Reidy.

Words and music for another version is here, but I don't know which version this is.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Quite - you need to decide on a version, or browse multiple and concoct your own (a very trad thing to do!). It is a very common song with many close variants throughout the British Isles - many different sets of words, some with variations on the plot and different titles, and quite a few alternative tunes too........ Have fun!

It was pretty commonly known to British schoolchildren as an archetypal folk ballad before such things disappeared from school curricula in favour of multi cultural material (nowt wrong with that, problem is what got dumped to make way!). The lyrics are mentioned in one of the early Arthur Ransome Swallows & Amazons books (forget which off hand, prob the 1st), for example, as are many other folk songs and sea songs/shanties. I heard it with many other things in the context of the old BBC Singing Together programmes, or something similar, that most primary schools used in the 60s and 70s.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

jemtheflute wrote:The lyrics are mentioned in one of the early Arthur Ransome Swallows & Amazons books (forget which off hand, prob the 1st)....
The scurrilous suggestion that the young lady in question 'caught her death of cold' is nothing but unfounded speculation!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Indeed, Simon! Fun though?

An after-thought to my previous post: the song is probably most often entitled The Wraggle Taggle Gypsy/ies (Oh!) with a "W" - may affect web-searches.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

This is what I was looking for. Thanks to all.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Minor correction - I think Christy Moore's source singer for the song was John Reilly of Co.Kildare, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong, but I will check. The gentleman deserves credit for passing on his music.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Love the song, but I would never try to do it because it would feel incomplete to me without the pipes kicking into to 'Tabhair Dom Do Laimh' (sp?) at the end, and I doubt Liam O'Flynn would be free to join my band to rectify the problem.

Same with 'Little Musgrave'. Brilliant song, but I'd also want yer man there to provide the horn warning on pipes and and the lady's last cry on tin whistle.

No harm in asking I suppose... Anyone got Liam O'Flynn's phone number?
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.