crow

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

crow

Post by Walden »

I was sitting today (a cloudy day) watching a group of crows and one crow in particular. It just struck me, what a beautiful bird.

I know that crows cause a lot of trouble, especially in farming and gardening. I think this is because of their high intelligence.

Sadly, the American crow is particularly susceptible to the West Nile virus.

I think that crows are so graceful-looking, and the sleek black feathers are really lovely, especially when they catch a reflection, but even if they don't they sweep back so majestically.
Reasonable person
Walden
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Corvids are my favorite birds, particulary ravens and crows. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, yes, crows....in spring

chasing the eagles away
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Ravens are one of the symbols associated with my house, being on our clan badge and all.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

jsluder wrote:Corvids are my favorite birds, particulary ravens and crows. :)
I would have guessed ducks.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cofaidh wrote:
jsluder wrote:Corvids are my favorite birds, particulary ravens and crows. :)
I would have guessed ducks.
Well that's just daffy.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I'm seeing quite a few ravens, now, as autumn settles in. I haven't seen a blue jay or a crow all this year.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I love crows, too. We have a decent number of crows, blue jays, and grackles around our house...they're all fun to watch.

Eric
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

but why are they (crows) usually almost always in groups of 3?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

They're all counting crows...
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Jayhawk wrote:They're all counting crows...
Just like Mr. Jones and me. :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
In The Woods
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by In The Woods »

We have lots of crows where I live, but I want to put in a plug for the vulture, AKA the buzzard. I think they're a sadly neglected bird: no one I know of has done a carving of one, they aren't anybody's state bird, and they are generally ignored by one and all.

Of course, their dietary habits are repulsive, but they do help keep the landscape picked up in my neck of the woods. So let's hear it for the buzzard!

Also, they sure do fly pretty.

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

CHasR wrote:but why are they (crows) usually almost always in groups of 3?
I thought they came in groups of two -- like the Twa Corbies.

I'm with Walden and Steve both -- I think the crows and buzzards will inherit the earth after we all blow each other up. I remember the first time seeing a turkey buzzard really close up. I actually felt a little vulnerable in my 82 Diesel Rabbit. The buzzards were picking at a possum in the road, and I stopped. They pretty much ignored my little 1900-lb car, then I crept closer and their damn wings were wider than my poor little car. One hopped up on the hood, and, man was it ugly. But what beautiful birds when they soar, with their two-tone wings.

There's an Andean condor at the National Zoo that every so often spreads its wings. THAT's impressive; they must be 10 feet across.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I feel kinda justified in that I'm not the only one for whom the song Twa' Corbies came to mind.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

OK, if we're moving on to condor/vulture stories. I was out in California in the 70s (I think I was 12, so that would have made it the summer of 1979 - but don't quote me on the year).

I was sitting out by my Aunt's pool in Thousand Oaks, and there is quite a lot of wildlife in the area because of the large canyon behind her house. I'm sunbathing, laying on my stomach, and this shadow of an airplane goes by on the ground only there is no sound. I flip over, and I see the largest bird I've ever seen in my life. I run inside and tell my aunt I've seen a California condor - both she and my then uncle laugh at me and say there aren't enough of them left in the wild and it must have been something else.

Later that week, there was a news story discussing the new California Condor Recovery Program and how there was (and this is what I don't remember) either a single condor or a pair in the area right behind my aunt's house. There is nothing more gratifying to a near teenager then being proven right.

That was one big bird...

Eric