Thinking of switching majors

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Thinking of switching majors

Post by Coffee »

To music. From Forestry.
I was previously a computer science major, and would likely have my MS by now if I'd not switched to something so completely different.
And now I'm thinking of changing again? Could I be one of those mythical "professional" students?

Anyways, I know we have a few music majors on the forum; any of ya'll wanna try to talk me out of/into switching?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

There is more employment in forestry, plus you get to be in the company of big, hairy, sweaty men in the woods all day.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:There is more employment in forestry, plus you get to be in the company of big, hairy, sweaty men in the woods all day.

djm
Really? :)
Cotelette d'Agneau
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

We must be related. I'm the son of a man with a PhD in forestry, whose actual working career was in a myriad of other fields--the navy, theatre, forestry, research, environmentalism, land-use planning, freelance writing, history (Canadian settlement & rural history) and then film & theatre again.

Come to think of it, generations of his ancestors have been brilliant flakes, too.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
CHasR

Re: Thinking of switching majors

Post by CHasR »

Cofaidh wrote:To music. From Forestry.
I was previously a computer science major, and would likely have my MS by now if I'd not switched to something so completely different.
And now I'm thinking of changing again? Could I be one of those mythical "professional" students?

Anyways, I know we have a few music majors on the forum; any of ya'll wanna try to talk me out of/into switching?
I am 16 years past my first (summa) bachelors in music, after having been in the 'music system'; since gradeschool starting in the early 70's.
I ended up with (now expired) 3 semesters of credits towards the masters, and an auxilliary degree in music education.

education cant hurt,
& if its something you feel incomplete without, then go there, but

It depends on what you want to do with that music degree.
Music education? then yes.
a Performance career? 50/50.
Perform on an orchestral instrument? essential.
Steady gigs? again, 50/50.
Music therapy, computer programming & music?, yes.
Church work? yes.
Showbiz work? not nessecary, but it helps in terms of connections.

BTW What do you play?

Be critical of yourself: can you compete without the degree in the aspect of music you see yourself working in ?

sweat & trees can only be a fertile source for splinters.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

CHasR wrote:BTW What do you play?

Be critical of yourself: can you compete without the degree in the aspect of music you see yourself working in ?
Primarily a singer. I play highland pipes and a few other instruments (whistle, flute, uilleann pipes) but I'm a singer. I took choir in highschool and have been in the choir of every church I've ever attended.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:
djm wrote:There is more employment in forestry, plus you get to be in the company of big, hairy, sweaty men in the woods all day.

djm
*snort!*

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

izzarina wrote:
Lambchop wrote:

djm
*snort!*

;)
"Why, sir," she said demurely, "Is that an axe in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Come to think of it I would probably have better luck picking up chicks as a musician. Hey, worked for FList...
djm

Post by djm »

No, little girl, it's a chain saw. Just pull the cord to start it. [img]http://www.emoticonking.com/emoticons/i ... Innocent]-[EmoticonKing.com].gif[/img]

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I also bet the textbooks for music majors are a bit more entertaining than "Mineral Nutrition of Plants: Principles and Perspectives."
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Cofaidh wrote:
CHasR wrote:BTW What do you play?

Primarily a singer. I play highland pipes and a few other instruments (whistle, flute, uilleann pipes) but I'm a singer. I took choir in highschool and have been in the choir of every church I've ever attended.
well, I know many sucessful vocalists, some of whom have ( no shiyte) performed at La Scala & the Met.

ok
from my perspective , you have 3 routes;

* the whole kit + kaboodle: operatic training, vocal coaching in a regular 4 year degree programme with an emphasis on performing. You may end up in opera, you may end up on broadway, you may end up in som e c-string arts org scraping by. Talent is essential, you HAVE to have a voice that can pin listeners to the far wall of the auditoruim AND melt butter, at your whim. Your chances of sucess increase by living in a large urban metropolitan area.

* the 'safety' approach: all of the above PLUS courses in education, HOW to teach vocalists, ( you HAVE to play piano at this point), how to conduct choirs, how to plan & execute choral and instrumental music for religious services. There are positions here. A degree, networking, and being active in vocal societies (workshops, seminars, ) is essential.

* the 'fame' approach: get as much practical training under your belt as you can muster:( ear training, vocal production, acoustice, music biz 101, composing) , then find a backup band and committ to marketing, gigs, recording, getting signed, webcasting, and anything that will get the band's ( and your) name out ther and bring in money.

Ive seen all 3 routes work. OK, so the 'fame' approach may lead to a succesful carreer as a female impersonator, but hey, whatever.

Playing GHB for weddings + funerals etc can bring in some money, but you'll have stiff competition. Uilleann can augment your saleability on that route also. But this is completely another kettle of fish than a bachelor in vocal arts.
I say: it wouldnt hurt to ask for info from someplace LIKE here:

http://www.avaopera.org/

or here

http://www.rider.edu/284.htm

at least to see what's involved
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Cofaidh wrote:I also bet the textbooks for music majors are a bit more entertaining than "Mineral Nutrition of Plants: Principles and Perspectives."
uuhh, sorry, no. they're not. :(
there's a lot of critical listening, and mandatory attendance at performances.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Cofaidh wrote:To music. From Forestry.

Stay with the trees. Once you major you can visit different third world countries as a forestry restoration expert. In your spare time you will have opportunities to immerse yourself in the local traditions of singing.

And, most places on the planet, have churches at hand and you can always go and join in the hymns.

:party: channelling the oracle :party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Thanks for the inputs ya'll. (and the jokes)
I had previously promised myself no more major-flopping. Just had a weak moment earlier