Opinions on a flute choice and a couple ??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Aodhan »

Hey all-

I've been playing flute and whistle for about 9 months now, taking lessons for about 6. I'm told that I'm good for the amount of time that I have taken lessons.

On the whistle, I can play several dance tunes at speed (Most notably kesh jig, kid on the mountain, christy barrys set), while on the flute (Boehm concert style) I can play them, but not quite at speed yet. (Fingers and figuring out where to @!!$@#$#@ breathe... :lol:) I can also play a couple songs/airs (sie beag sie more, fields of athenry) with no problems on both.

I am going to play with my dance troupe in a couple of numbers as part of a dance drama, and also busk at the Renaissance faires that we perform at.

I think I have decided on getting a polymer flute, since my primary faire and session locale is Arizona, which means desert, dust and crapanola.

I am leaning towards the M&E Rudall/Rose pattern, since I have smaller hands. (It will be keyless for now)

My couple questions - since I am a relative beginner, how hard is the M&E to "fill"? Should I get a split embouchure? (I have no problem getting a decent tone out of low C on my concert flute, nor hitting high notes). What about the Seery? Basically comparable?

That's about it...thanks all!

Aodhan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

To me, the M&E is a very easy flute to fill, and has a hard-edged, bright tone.

The Seery is a little harder to fill, and has a growly, throaty tone. Its sound also cuts through a session a bit better than the M&E. On the flip side, it's more tiring to play for a lengthy session.

This has been my own experience--yours may vary. If possible, the best thing to do is try one of each kind and see which one appeals to you the most.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Most M&E's I've played have had major tuning problems, almost as though the lower middle joint belonged to another flute. I also find them kind of ugly. The "split embouchure" does a lot to improve the tone of the flute, but it looks as though the maker took a penknife to the headjoint. Seery flutes seem to me to be in quite a different class -- the overall level of craftsmanship is much higher, and they play and sound remarkably like good wooden flutes.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

This has been my own experience--yours may vary. If possible, the best thing to do is try one of each kind and see which one appeals to you the most.
Heh...so, anyone got an M&E and a Seery that I can try? :grin: :grin:

Aodhan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On 2002-12-31 14:43, Aodhan wrote:

Aodhan
If you can get to Texarkana I do.

Best,

--James
eskin

Post by eskin »

In defense of Michael Cronnoly, my experience doesn't jive with Ro3b's at all.

My Rudall M&E is perfectly finished, plays in tune, and looks great. I have seen at least two others that were equally nice.

Also, the Rudall style instrument doesn't have the split embrochure feature.

Just my observation...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eskin on 2002-12-31 15:16 ]</font>
brownja

Post by brownja »

Aodhan
There are acoupala m&e's around here(southern CT.). Both kinds, orignal and RR style.
Where are you?
jb
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2002-12-31 15:22, brownja wrote:

Aodhan
There are acoupala m&e's around here(southern CT.). Both kinds, orignal and RR style.
Where are you?
jb
Heh...a bit far from CT. I live in Phoenix, Az. :cry:

Aodhan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aodhan on 2002-12-31 16:16 ]</font>
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I second James opinion on the playability of M&E Rudalls and Seery's. M&E Rudall appears to me as the easier flute to play for beginners. Seery's on the other hand, can be harder to get a good tone out of when you're starting out, but I feel it has an "older", slightly drier sound to it when you get it going. (which can be months for a rank beginner!) The M&E Rudall is also capable of this but its more inclined to producing a hard, darker tone. They're both, in my opinion, of the same standard tonewise and playability. The Seery is very much more aesthetic though, and practically looks indistinguishable from a blackwood flute if you're not looking at it up close. Its also a lighter flute.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2002-12-31 23:55, Eldarion wrote:
I second James opinion on the playability of M&E Rudalls and Seery's. M&E Rudall appears to me as the easier flute to play for beginners. Seery's on the other hand, can be harder to get a good tone out of when you're starting out, but I feel it has an "older", slightly drier sound to it when you get it going. (which can be months for a rank beginner!) The M&E Rudall is also capable of this but its more inclined to producing a hard, darker tone. They're both, in my opinion, of the same standard tonewise and playability. The Seery is very much more aesthetic though, and practically looks indistinguishable from a blackwood flute if you're not looking at it up close. Its also a lighter flute.
How are the finger holes on the Seery?

Aodhan
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'd suggest going for a Dixon Polymer and using the rest of the money for a deposit on a woodenflute - the additional money spent on a Seery or M&E isn't going to get you much bang for the buck, and most decent woodenflutes will sound better, in my opinion. I didn't really like either the M&E or the Seery I had for a while.

Loren
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

P.S. I understand your concerns about a woodenflute not being as durable, but if you keep it in a good case, care for it properly, and use a humidifier, a good blackwood or Cooktown Ironwood flute should be fine (purchase from an Austrailian or US maker to avoid getting wood that has been seasoned to a humidity that is too high for your climate.)

My 2 cents.

Loren
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2003-01-02 18:25, Loren wrote:
P.S. I understand your concerns about a woodenflute not being as durable, but if you keep it in a good case, care for it properly, and use a humidifier,
How would a wooden flute hold up to playing (literally) in the desert? When I am at faire, I am in the arizona desert, from Friday night through Sunday night. Unpaved dirt for the pathways through the village, tent at night (With attendant temperature changes), for 8 weekends in a row.

How much would that affect a wooden flute?

And, I reiterate my question, how are the finger holes on a Seery compared to the M&E?

Aodhan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

And, I reiterate my question, how are the finger holes on a Seery compared to the M&E?

Aodhan
Seery has substantially larger tone holes than the M&E (either model).

The left hand reach is very similar, but the right hand reach is slightly longer on the Seery (the right hand tone holes are further apart).

On the M&E flute the top of the tone hole is very slightly bevelled; on the Seery the tope of the tone hole is slightly smoothed but still pretty sharp.

The embouchure hole is approximately the same size and shape on both flutes.

I hope this helps.

Best,

--James
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Standing in the sun is not a good idea (for you, either), but otherwise a wooden flute can and will hold up under most conditions that you can. It is being humidified when played and, if you continue that humidity level as Loren advised in the case, a wooden flute will do fine. The case will also prevent the up/down temperature changes. Warm it up slowly if it's cold before blasting away.
Blackwood and several other similar woods are nowhere near as fragile as people seem to feel, and it's a shame to give up on wooden flutes for fear of a little extra care. Common sense is key, of course, but then, that's always true. I'd advise asking flute players around your area how they fare, and what they play, before you give up on wood.