SOLD Silver Eb Sindt

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

PhilO wrote:Ok, I guess I have to jump in here since I just got one of these in D for part of my 60th birthday present. I had expected all silver because I too would think that would look better - I agree aesthetically to my eye it's either gold and black (brass and delrin) or silver and black, but not silver and brass. That said, it's actually rather cool in person - the brass is brushed to a nice lighter sort of shade and looks ok with the silver especially with the black delrin fipple. When I handled it and test played it (it's in secret place till my birthday, as my wife knows how bad I am with opening presents early), I never even gave more than a passing glance at the brass/silver combo thing because it felt and sounded so darn good.

I agree Peter, unless there's some sort of craft reason for not using a silver head joint, once one is paying for silver, why not the whole hog. And yes, this was for bling, a special turn on a great whistle for a special occasion; it really sounds not much if at all different from my brass Sindt and if it does likely due to the voicing and not the material. Also, I noticed that the head joint on the newer whistle is a good deal longer than that on the older one.

Finally, having even just a silver tube on a Sindt whistle at his prices is a relative steal compared to some other silver whistles I've seen and have. The brass/silver combo is different and kinda cool, so :P

Philo

Hmmmmmmmm...............
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Re: FS: Silver Eb Sindt

Post by Tommy »

jloug wrote:Eb Silver Sindt (this one has the standard brass head) in brand new condition. Lovely whistle. $140(new are $150 plus shipping) shipped USA

Hmmmmmm....... Sent PM, waiting for reply.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I don't know, I've seen plenty of bathroom fixtures that mix brass
and chrome. Doesn't seem so bad. May just be a matter of taste.

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Ok, Tommy, I give up...why do you keep saying "hmmmmmm?"

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

PhilO wrote:Ok, Tommy, I give up...why do you keep saying "hmmmmmm?"

Philo

Hmmmmm.... fair question. A long time ago I wrote in a thread Hummmmmm, and what I ment was ''hum'' as to hum a tune, well the hmmmmm...... stuck as thinking. :lol:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

fearfaoin wrote:I don't know, I've seen plenty of bathroom fixtures that mix brass

Welllllllll....... Fearfaion,,,, those look nice, but I have other plans for the whistle, and not mounting it in the shower. :lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

naw, ya don't mount it in the shower

ya play it in the bath
then ya's coordinated :wink:
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Denny wrote:ya play it in the bath
Except if there really is an electrochemical reaction between brass and silver ... :o
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Tommy wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:I don't know, I've seen plenty of bathroom fixtures that mix brass

Welllllllll....... Fearfaion,,,, those look nice, but I have other plans for the whistle, and not mounting it in the shower. :lol:
And why wouldn't ya want to wet your whistle?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru wrote:
Denny wrote:ya play it in the bath
Except if there really is an electrochemical reaction between brass and silver ... :o
Sparky! hey Sparky.....whaddathink?
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

The only matter of taste i see is whether you have any or not. Having that crap in your bathroom shows you don't.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

I think the chances of being electrocuted whilst playing an Eb Sindt in the bath due to the electro-chemical effect must be relatively small, but perhaps the makers should ensure that the whistle comes with a suitable disclaimer to cover themselves from a legal perspective.

My bathroom fittings are chrome and gold, but they came with the house, so I'm not guilty. Plus we're due to replace the bathroom next month, thus reducing the chances of electrocution. Well, when I say "we're due" of course I mean that we're getting a plumber to do the job and also extract most of the cash from my bank account at the same time.

Dear Doctor, I get lots of static electricity shocks, especially when I'm having a migraine. Do you think this whistle might cure that problem or could it make it worse?

Stay Hoopy and stay earthed,
Mike
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

MTGuru wrote:Except if there really is an electrochemical reaction between brass and silver ...
I think it's OK.

Seems to me, they put silver or silver plated mouthpieces on brass instruments, and have been doing for a few centuries.

Best wishes,
Jerry
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

MTGuru wrote: Except if there really is an electrochemical reaction between brass and silver
There is the potential to a little bit of a reaction between brass and silver, but i don't think it's very much. If you look at a reactivity series, copper and silver are right next to each other with zinc being a few more spaces down on the chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactivity_series. Granted, the zinc content of the brass will play a factor, but the overall electrochemical reaction is probably not too great. Just as a qualifier, my worst area of chemistry is probably electrochemistry. Just my two cents.

Jonathan[/url]
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Seems to me, they put silver or silver plated mouthpieces on brass instruments, and have been doing for a few centuries.
so they have :D

I'm not seein' this help the energy crisis. :wink: