A call from James Gandsey

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

And as a point of chronological reference, Walker/Walter 'Piper' Jackson lived ~170 years before the fictional Constable Harry 'Snapper' Organs.

t
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

I think I will stick wi O'Neill altho ye are right aboot him being called Walker as well so it seems. He being of the landed gentry Walter seems more probable.
So Walter/ Walker . take yer pick .
Here is a link to his tunes,prolific writer.
http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/JACKSON.htm
Uilliam
ps
http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/piranha.htm :boggle: :boggle:are we straying a bit Tommy?
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
waymer

Post by waymer »

And as a point of chronological reference, Walker/Walter 'Piper' Jackson lived ~170 years before the fictional Constable Harry 'Snapper' Organs.
wasn't he the garda for Lord Phillip Oliver Hollows?
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
djm

Post by djm »

It is my understanding that Mr. W. Jackson published a manuscript of tunes back in the day, and that tunes in this book are where the reference to "Jackson's" comes from on various tunes. I can't recall reading if any copy of the original published work survives. Perhaps in the ITM Archive? For all the old books now being made available on the internet, I think that one would be of great interest to pipers. Does anyone have access to a copy?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

From An Piobaire, Aibrean 1973:
Walker Jackson is a native of the County of Limerick and a good musician, who has composed a number of excellent pieces of music, which are much admired for their harmony and expression. The most favoured of Mr. Jackson's compositions are: Jackson's Morning Brush: The Turret: The Humours of Castle Jackson: Jackson's Ramble: Roving Blade and the Cream of the Jest.

The above paragraph from "Ferrar's History of Limerick to the year 1787" (A Watson & Co., Limerick 1787) clears up three points of doubt or dispute about Piper Jackson. His name was Walker, not Walter as Grattan Flood and O'Neill have it. He was not a clergyman as it is sometimes thought and he was a native of Limerick and not of Monaghan as suggested by subsequent writers on the strength of Bunting's reference to Jackson having been resident in that county.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
emer

Post by emer »

Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

The fact that he is referred to as "Mr" Jackson furthemore indicates that he was a gentleman piper, not a professional (cf. British usage with regard to jockeys and cricket players).
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

There's a long article about Jackson by Breandan Breathnach, reprinted in 'The Man & his music'

There's a plaque on the house where Gandsey lived in Killarney. I think it's on the Muckross estate but can't exactly remember it. I did take a piccie of it when I was there, in 1989.
seándonnelly

Post by seándonnelly »

There is no doubt that Jackson's forename was 'Walker'; it's given in a number of contemporary notices, including his obituary in 1798. He was born in or before 1722, as he was an adult in 1743. He was the son of a Miles Jackson, and had brothers named Miles and Clifford; both succeeded to Lisduan in turn. His sister, Fanny Jackson, married a man named Mason, and they had a son, Walker Jackson Mason, born 1793, among several other children. Unfortunately, not much has been discovered about his own family. There is a tradition, which Dennis Brooks mentioned to me, that the Freeman-Jacksons of Mallow, co. Cork, are the same Jacksons. Jackson's Celebrated Irish Tunes was published in 1790, and appears to be a reprint of a collection advertised in 1780. 'Jackson's Morning Brush' was advertised in 1776 as a new country dance for 1777.

The foregoing is from a forthcoming supplement to Breandán Breathnach's article.
seándonnelly

Post by seándonnelly »

There is no doubt that Jackson's forename was 'Walker'; it's given in a number of contemporary notices, including his obituary in 1798. He was born in or before 1722, as he was an adult in 1743. He was the son of a Miles Jackson, and had brothers named Miles and Clifford; both succeeded to Lisduan in turn. His sister, Fanny Jackson, married a man named Mason, and they had a son, Walker Jackson Mason, born 1793, among several other children. Unfortunately, not much has been discovered about his own family. There is a tradition, which Dennis Brooks mentioned to me, that the Freeman-Jacksons of Mallow, co. Cork, are the same Jacksons. Jackson's Celebrated Irish Tunes was published in 1790, and appears to be a reprint of a collection advertised in 1780. 'Jackson's Morning Brush' was advertised in 1776 as a new country dance for 1777.

The foregoing is from a forthcoming supplement to Breandán Breathnach's article.
billh

Post by billh »

Welcome aboard, Seán!

And thanks for the definitive answer.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Old Gandsey sleeps,whose minstrelsy
Has won a world-wide fame;
Whilst with his own Killarney,we
Still wed his cherished name...
And oh how rich his " Madareen Rue"
With all its variations;
With "Jack O'Connell's beagles" thrue...
The Horn, the challenge-view-halloo-o-o!
And "Reynard's Lamentations!"...
The lake in view at aghadoe,
A bard-befitting pile;
Thither can boatmen point and show
Gandsey's last domicile.

Part of a tribute written by "Fitz-Erin"

RORY
Roger O'Keeffe

Re: A call from James Gandsey

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

From the nature of the post and Bill's words of welcome, as well as the fada on the a, I take it that new member seándonnelly is indeed the real Seán Donnelly :thumbsup: .

So welcome indeed to C&F, Seán. In among all the trivia and rank ignorance, there's a lot of knowledge here and a lot of people dedicated to sharing it, and C&F seems to reach a much wider community than the NPU forum.

If you stay with us, and don't go through Peter L-type moments of frustration and withdrawal, we can look forward to a sharp increase in the ratio of fact to fantasy on this forum!

PS, I look forward to connecting with you again in a couple of years' time, when Joëlle and I move back to the green and musty, and Bill will have a little something emerging from his workshop to make the move home even more appealing.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar