The future of manned space travel.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

One of the problems with the space elevator is electrical discharge. Just like having a long wire out in a storm that develops thousands of volts.
The Ionospheric discharge to the elevator will be like billions and billion of volts. Pay close attention to that sign, "High Voltage - do not touch" bzzzt.

I think a moonbase should be established for low gravity takeoffs. The moon's lack of an atmosphere would be a good place to establish a space communications repeater for future Mars excursions. It would also be a good place for training for a Mars mission.

Also, put a communication relay on Cruithne, an asteroid that is referred to as Earth's other moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:One of the problems with the space elevator is electrical discharge. Just like having a long wire out in a storm that develops thousands of volts.
The Ionospheric discharge to the elevator will be like billions and billion of volts. Pay close attention to that sign, "High Voltage - do not touch" bzzzt
Oh, just tie a key on the end.

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

BillChin wrote:
emmline wrote:
BillChin wrote:
If and when the Japanese succeed in making a space elevator, that one innovation can catapult the entire planet ahead many decades towards space colonization. The estimated price tag is a modest $10 billion USD. Even at five times that price, it would likely pay for itself very quickly.
As for the naysayers, declaring that humans will probably never colonize beyond Earth ... seems short-sighted, from a retrospective viewpoint. We've made that stubborn claim about many scientific visions, but still got there eventually.
The things we do today which would have been unimaginable to people a century ago, you know. ...
Someone sent me an email about life in the U. S. in 1908. Here are a few highlights:

>>
The average life expectancy in the US was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes in the US had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

There were 8,000 cars in the U.S., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

>>

There are almost sure to be some amazing innovations in the next 100 years.
This reminds me of something I probably have posted about before. My grandfather was born in 1894 and died in 1987. I boggle at how the world changed just in the span of his lifetime.
djm

Post by djm »

But look at how much the world has changed in your own lifetime. How much time do you spend pondering that, or do you just take most of it for granted like the rest of us?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Also, put a communication relay on Cruithne, an asteroid that is referred to as Earth's other moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne
I like the name of that asteroid for some reason...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dale wrote:My grandfather was born in 1894 and died in 1987. I boggle at how the world changed just in the span of his lifetime.
Every now and then I think about how I might explain all this to, say, Ben Franklin. I have no idea how I'd satisfactorily account for "Project Runway".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:I have no idea how I'd satisfactorily account for "Project Runway".
Com on, the Dandies and Victorians may have been a bit after his time, but I am sure being a well traveled man of the day he could have talked your ear off about the equivalent. Some things never change.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Old Ben Franklin would have enjoyed glimpses of the models getting into their outfits on Project Runway.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Mankind always needs a frontier. By our nature, we push against boundaries; we don't really have a choice in this, it's just how we are. We can't leave well enough alone, we can't leave an experiment untried, we can't leave something unknown if there is any possible way we might try to find it out.

We find the concept of "not knowing" to be so bitterly uncomfortable as to be intolerable. Again and again we have shown that if we can't find a real answer, we'll make up an answer, and then believe our own lie, just to ease the horrible mental discomfort of uncertainty.

We need to go; when we talk about manned space exploration, we talk about times and destinations, but a destination isn't what we so desperately need.

We need the going. We need the dream. We need the challenge--even if it's impractical. Even if it's impossible.

Especially if it's impossible: if human history teaches us anything, it teaches us that nothing stays impossible for long, and what to one generation is unthinkable, their descendants will one day find to be routine.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I have no idea how I'd satisfactorily account for "Project Runway".
Com on, the Dandies and Victorians may have been a bit after his time, but I am sure being a well traveled man of the day he could have talked your ear off about the equivalent. Some things never change.
Yeah, true. But I dunno about the bad hair and the crying. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:But I dunno about the bad hair and the crying. :wink:
Bad hair, you say?

French Hairdress of the 1770s:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That's not hair. Those are spaceships.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:That's not hair. Those are spaceships.
Ooh, nice job of getting back on topic! :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:That's not hair. Those are spaceships.
Ooh, nice job of getting back on topic! :lol:
Slick, huh? :wink:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On the subject of interstellar travel:

Everybody worries about propulsion, and it's a real challenge alright, but another significant challenge even once you had a valid means of interstellar propulsion is navigation.

All those planets and starts aren't just sitting still out there. They are moving at...well...astronomical speeds. :o

So what's your point of reference when everything is always whizzing around?

Or, worded another way, how do you navigate really long distances with no point of reference at all?

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard