Expanding Earth

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Expanding Earth

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

A theory that the Earth is expanding and the expansion is what made the continents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izIB4jK5 ... re=related

Instead of moving around like the pangea theory, it expands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyAzJDzD ... re=related

The same theory can be applied to Mars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHk_HUqt ... re=related

Not an old idea, goes back to 1933
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOp8j6eOBlI
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It all makes sense, Daniel!

The people on the INSIDE are running out of space, so they're expanding the globe!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

If there were a lot of geologists on these forums this thread would probably have to move to the proctology forum.

From my non geologist perspective though the theory is really very easy to prove or disprove. Toss out all the conjecture and take measurements. No matter how infinitesimal the growth over a short time it should be measurable. Take a circumference measurement now, and ten years from now take another one.
See? Easy.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cofaidh wrote:If there were a lot of geologists on these forums this thread would probably have to move to the proctology forum.

From my non geologist perspective though the theory is really very easy to prove or disprove. Toss out all the conjecture and take measurements. No matter how infinitesimal the growth over a short time it should be measurable. Take a circumference measurement now, and ten years from now take another one.
See? Easy.
But what if your measuring tape is expanding too? :twisted: (spoilsport!)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cofaidh wrote:If there were a lot of geologists on these forums this thread would probably have to move to the proctology forum.
lucky we's a trad forum and don't have a lot of rockers :wink:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

But if the earth was expanding, wouldn't it be getting cooler?
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

No, the heart beats faster when you're breathing in.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Denny wrote:
lucky we's a trad forum and don't have a lot of rockers :wink:
:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I'm no geologist, but I have a friend who is...soooooo......if we start pumping Slimfast into the gaps left by oil drilling, the continents would eventually move back together...right?
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Mmmmmmm....SlimFast. Makes a yummy shake with two big scoops of chocolate ice cream.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You know, this reminds me of another conclusion of mine: there is less time than there used to be. I mean, we have all the minutes and hours and days and stuff we ever did, but there's less time IN it. Where is it going? One book, The New Policeman, had our time leaking away into Tír na n-Óg with disastrous results for both worlds. Fantasy, you say. Really? Well, maybe, but it's going somewhere. You betcha.

It might make the Earth seem embiggened, you know. With less time, it takes more of it to get from Point A to Point B.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:You know, this reminds me of another conclusion of mine: there is less time than there used to be. I mean, we have all the minutes and hours and days and stuff we ever did, but there's less time IN it. Where is it going? One book, The New Policeman, had our time leaking away into Tír na n-Óg with disastrous results for both worlds. Fantasy, you say. Really? Well, maybe, but it's going somewhere. You betcha.

It might make the Earth seem embiggened, you know. With less time, it takes more of it to get from Point A to Point B.
My theory is that the perception of time is inversely proportional to age. In other words, to a 40-year-old, one year seems 1/40th as long as it does to a 1-year-old. It's part of that whole relativity thing. As we get older we slow down, so time speeds up. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:You know, this reminds me of another conclusion of mine: there is less time than there used to be. I mean, we have all the minutes and hours and days and stuff we ever did, but there's less time IN it. Where is it going? One book, The New Policeman, had our time leaking away into Tír na n-Óg with disastrous results for both worlds. Fantasy, you say. Really? Well, maybe, but it's going somewhere. You betcha.

My theory is that the perception of time is inversely proportional to age. In other words, to a 40-year-old, one year seems 1/40th as long as it does to a 1-year-old. It's part of that whole relativity thing. As we get older we slow down, so time speeds up. :)
That's what they want you to think. But ask any youngster. They're feeling the pinch, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

O O. You got me started on time. As a child, I thought there was this big conspiracy going on with time and everyone but me was a member of the big secret organization and one day, a man in a suit and hat would come up to me in public, lean over, explain the secret and invite me to be a member too.

My problem with time was that I did not understnad why it took forever for Christmas to finally arrive but a day spent having fun was over before I knew it. And then there were those times that my Mom would say, I'll just be 5 minutes. But it felt way longer and I didn't know how to tell time. And the hands on a clock seemed to all be running at the same speed they always did. And no one else seemed to notice how time was stretching and contracting or they would laugh about it, like they were in on the big secret. And Larry, one of my brothers, who was two years older than me, usually explained these kind of things to me but even he didn't know what I was wanting to ask. And I knew he was smart enough to be a member of the secret organization, so I'd just have to wait to get invited to join the secret organization.

What a relief medications have been for me.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I gave up on the meds. They make the foil hat ineffective.