It's snowing...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Uh...its 90F here in LA, the air conditioner is on.
Denny

Post by Denny »

snow before Halloween, huh Izzy....

have another cookie....could be a long 'un
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I think we got a bit over a foot overnight, but it's not over yet. My poor lilac bushes are laying on the ground. All of their leaves hadn't fallen off yet, so the snow was able to totally weigh them down. :sniffle:

Yes, more cookies. And hot cocoa today! There's something to celebrate! :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Yup, still snowing here, too, but I am west of the major dump zone, so here all we are getting is lake effect. Supposed to last most of the day. It's melting, so it's hard to say how much has actually fallen, but there's a good four inches or so still on the ground.

Same here for leaves still on the trees, too. Something must have broken as the power went off at 01:56. I woke up an hour late with no alarm. :o

I don't know if this is a record for early snow, but it's still rare enough to be disconcerting when it happens. I wouldn't normally expect to see this stuff for another 1.5 - 2 months yet.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

djm wrote: Same here for leaves still on the trees, too. Something must have broken as the power went off at 01:56. I woke up an hour late with no alarm. :o
We lost ours last night at about 10:30, and it came back on this morning about about 5:30. I'm not sure how widespread it was, or what caused it. But I do know that Mr Izz still has school this morning, and all of the public schools are only on delay. Yes, I'm surprised over that one.
I don't know if this is a record for early snow, but it's still rare enough to be disconcerting when it happens. I wouldn't normally expect to see this stuff for another 1.5 - 2 months yet.
I grew up here, for the most part, and I don't remember ever getting this much snow in October. i wouldn't be surprised if we did hit a record with the amount at the very least. My non-scientific measuring came out at about 14 inches :boggle:
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

We got snow last night! Very unusual for London in any month, let alone October. The papers this morning said it's warmer in Moscow than it is in London.

But we only got enough snow to see it in the sky, and it melted upon landing.
HampshireWhistler

Re: It's snowing...

Post by HampshireWhistler »

izzarina wrote:in October!! SNOW! We're supposed to get around a foot of it through tonight. Even in the North Country that's a big deal, at least this early in the season. Snow, wind, cold...have I mentioned how much I hate winter? :P

SIIIGGGHHHH!!! :sniffle:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

We got snow too - not that far from Avanutria. Mostly the evidence is on the cars parked in the shade. Still snow in the roof at midday!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

cowtime wrote:
djm wrote:It's been slushing (mix of rain and snow falling) here for a few hours. Naturally I was stuck in the line-up at the takeaway window, with my window wide open.

djm
You get no sympathy from me- I drive around in the weather with the window open all day:D , and yes, today it was snowing here too! The snow on the green/red/orange leaves of the trees really looked strange. One tree looked like a giant cotton plant ready for pickin'.
hahaha
sounds like neither of you were in a cemetery, in a kilt, waiting for rookie conscripts to fold, realize it's wrong, unfold, then RE fold a flag; THEN do taps +presentation speech, THEN wait while a non-anglophone priest gets lost twice in the readings.
[/gloat] :P nnyaahhh.

yeah it was weird, cowtime, what with the splendid colours of autumn & all.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've been standing in a cemetery in February with a b******d of a minister giving a eulogy that lasted a clear forty minutes. If I could have moved without shivering I'd have thumped him.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Re: It's snowing...

Post by izzarina »

HampshireWhistler wrote:
izzarina wrote:in October!! SNOW! We're supposed to get around a foot of it through tonight. Even in the North Country that's a big deal, at least this early in the season. Snow, wind, cold...have I mentioned how much I hate winter? :P

SIIIGGGHHHH!!! :sniffle:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Laugh it up, Hamster boy. Your turn will be here soon enough :P
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I've been standing in a cemetery in February with a b******d of a minister giving a eulogy that lasted a clear forty minutes. If I could have moved without shivering I'd have thumped him.
I remember one particular service, middle of summer, blazing hot, not a lick of shade,
the dec'd was a (insert denom here) missionary and the church felt comitted to go through a whole sunday-morning style service, complete with accompanied hymns, readings, offering, rememberances, sermon (culminating with a call for baptism & repentance), at the gravesite, mind you: casket on the vault top, etc,
had they informed the cemetery, vault company, funeral home, and staff, it wouldve been another story, but this was all breaking news to those involved.
grrrr. all good stuff for my book.
Henke

Post by Henke »

No snow here yet, but it can't be far away. It was a couple of minus C this morning, and pretty frosty outside until mid day when it was back to looking like autumn again. Must have been the coldest night since spring anyway.

Brrrrr. Pour me another
whisky :wink:
Cork

Post by Cork »

It just happened, less than half an hour ago. After a couple of days of rain and overcast sky, some brightness appeared near the horizon, headed toward me. However, there appeared to be yet one more dark band of cloud, too, and just before the brightness arrived, a brief snow flurry broke loose. It lasted for all of half a minute, and never did whiten the ground, but there it was, the first official flurry of the season. Yay!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

CHasR wrote:
cowtime wrote:
djm wrote:It's been slushing (mix of rain and snow falling) here for a few hours. Naturally I was stuck in the line-up at the takeaway window, with my window wide open.

djm
You get no sympathy from me- I drive around in the weather with the window open all day:D , and yes, today it was snowing here too! The snow on the green/red/orange leaves of the trees really looked strange. One tree looked like a giant cotton plant ready for pickin'.
hahaha
sounds like neither of you were in a cemetery, in a kilt, waiting for rookie conscripts to fold, realize it's wrong, unfold, then RE fold a flag; THEN do taps +presentation speech, THEN wait while a non-anglophone priest gets lost twice in the readings.
[/gloat] :P nnyaahhh.

yeah it was weird, cowtime, what with the splendid colours of autumn & all.

Well, I haven't been standing in that exact location, but I have been standing in lower 20 degree weather in a kilt on more than one occasion, waiting, and waiting and waiting... and I agree-NOT FUN.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West