What's your least favorite whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by West »

Wow, I'm surprised to see how many hate Sweetones.

Actually no, I'm not surprised at all because they're terrible whistles.

What I meant to say was, I'm surprised how many people hate those whistles and yet they remain fairly common and -- from what I can tell?! -- popular. They're available everywhere. In fact I've had more problems finding Gens than Sweetones, at least here in Sweden. I mean, if peoply didn't buy them, the shops wouldn't keep them in stock would they?

So who buys the Sweetones?

hoopy mike? ;)
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
tomk

Post by tomk »

the govt. :lol:
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

West wrote:So who buys the Sweetones?

hoopy mike? ;)
Yep. And I like 'em. Or at least I like my Celtic Sweetone in D. The green isn't gang green - I can only assume that people are confusing the Celtic with the green version of the Meg, with the picture of dear old Whistling Billy.

I've only got one clip online at my website (see sig below) and it's not the greatest of whistle tunes (Skye Boat Song) but feel free to listen and tell me how awful I sound and how bad the intonation is, etc.

I started whistling after buying a Feadog on a trip to Cork, but didn't take it seriously (well, I don't take anything very seriously, but perhaps you know what I mean) until I joined a ceilidh band about two years ago, initially playing mandolin. I picked up a Sweetone then and ditched the Feadog, because I found the Sweetone had a more mellow tone which fitted with our sound and was more stable in the second octave. The one I have is also more in tune than the Feadog when I play it (I didn't know how to tune non-tunable whistles back then). We play a mix of GHB, ITM and other folk music. I trust the ears of the others in the band.

As I've said elsewhere, I think that the whistler has a big impact on the sound of the whistle. For some reason I get a better sound out of a Sweetone than out of a Generation or a Feadog. I've recently bought a Dixon trad for the faster stuff though, and for the extra few pounds it beats the other straight cheapies.

I hate to see this thread turning into a "Sweetones are awful" set of posts. Fine, if you can't get a decent tune out of them then don't play them, but in common with all the cheapies, some people like them and can play them reasonably well.

Stay hoopy
(and send me your unwanted Sweetones)
Mike
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Not bashing Sweetones - as a beginner I loved them. They are easy to control, forgiving of undeveloped breath technique, modest air requirement...

Now my breath control is better developed, I find many other cheap whistles are better and I don't bother with the Sweetones any more because of limitations in tone, volume, tuning. The C version is, IMO, particularly unsatisfactory.

My least favourite whistle is a Susato low G. It totaly doesn't fit my hands and I hate the tone. I'm not a big fan of the Susato sound even on the standard Ds. Not my cup of tea at all.

I find Walton whistles unstable and nearly unplayable. I expect that is a problem with me rather than the whistles, as some like them. Conversely, I find both tweaked and untweaked Feadogs to be delightfully easy to play, responsive and great sounding whereas some people just can't get the hang of them.

To each his own etc.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Regarding Bb Generations:

I've commented in the past that Bb is the most variable of the Generation keys. This explains why some people have had satisfactory experiences and others have Bb Generations they're unhappy with.

As I've mentioned before, Generation whistleheads show signs that their injection molding tooling has become worn over years of use, resulting in roughness and variability in the plastic parts they produce.

If you study any injection molded plastic part, you will be able to find marks that distinguish what mold cavity in the injection molding tooling produced the part. (Typically, an injection molding tool will produce several, identical parts with each cycle.)

You can see this in Feadog whistleheads as a small, raised number 1, 2, 3 or 4 in the area under the windway, visible through the voicing window. On Generation whistleheads, you can see this as concentric rings or a dot or group of dots on the thin edge of the socket.

I've noticed that the Bb Generations have been more consistent of late. In the past, I've been able to identify Bb Generation whistleheads from three different mold cavities. Lately, I've found that new Bb Generations have come from only two, and those remaining two mold cavities are producing much more consistent parts.

I take this to indicate that the people at Generation have observed that one of the cavities of their Bb whistlehead tool has become worn out beyond acceptable tolerances, they've closed the gating to that cavity and stopped producing those problematic Bb whistleheads.

The bottom line is, if you purchase from a seller who moves a lot of Generations, you'll likely get a recent, and therefore good Bb Generation.

Since more brass Generations than Nickel Generations are sold, it's more likely that you'll get a recently made, and therefore defect free, brass Bb Generation than a recently made nickel Bb Generation.

On the other hand, if you purchase from someone who doesn't sell many Generations, and especially if you purchase from someone who sells directly to customers who are able to examine and try the whistle before making their selection, you're more likely to get an older whistle or even one that others have already tried and rejected.

Best wishes,
Jerry
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Funny how it changes. My first whistle was a Walton brass with green top. I played it for a year or so. Didn't know there were other whistles available until I found this forum, where, at the time more whistlers recommended sweetone than any other cheapie. I got a sweetone and learned that my Walton had been pretty bad but I had managed to play it well enough even with it's quirks. I gave the Walton away. It did serve me well and if I figured if one learns to play on that one it would serve them well with any whistle, it did me. I really liked the sweetone after that but then I moved up to a tweaked mellowdog and now I can't bear the sweetones. Just gave my 5 yr old his first whistle, it would have been the sweetone C as that is my least favorite but I wanted him to have the D because of his small hands.

Regarding Bb gens, mine is in nickel and I don't really love it like I thought I would. It may be I haven't given it enough time. I just don't enjoy playing it .....right now.
tomk

Post by tomk »

When I first saw the sweettones , I thought oh a kiddie toy , well thats what my music teacher said before I auditioned for music school on a generation d .
I got in .
The sweettone I had was fine but too dumb down for me to bring to sessions , so I retweeked my gen d , in similar ways to the other one , lol that one , ,,
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Regarding Bb Generations:

If you study any injection molded plastic part, you will be able to find marks that distinguish what mold cavity in the injection molding tooling produced the part.

On Generation whistleheads, you can see this as concentric rings or a dot or group of dots on the thin edge of the socket.

I've noticed that the Bb Generations have been more consistent of late. In the past, I've been able to identify Bb Generation whistleheads from three different mold cavities. Lately, I've found that new Bb Generations have come from only two, and those remaining two mold cavities are producing much more consistent parts.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry, what are the distinguishing marks on the two molds that you find are producing consistent Bb's?

I've got two Gen Bb's, one has two dots on the edge (it's a few years old), the other has one dot (bought in Ireland this year).

It would be interesting to see if people's experiences with the Gen Bb's confirms that the good ones come from certain molds. Then people would know what to look for when buying, at least if they're able to see before they buy.
Love...Serve...Remember
West

Post by West »

lyrick wrote:I've got two Gen Bb's, one has two dots on the edge (it's a few years old), the other has one dot (bought in Ireland this year).
Hmm, exactly where on the fipple would these dots be located?
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

West wrote:Hmm, exactly where on the fipple would these dots be located?
The markings are on the very end of the fipple, the end that goes onto the tube. The perfectly round end of the fipple--it's only a few mm's wide, you wouldn't think of looking there for anything, but it's there. A picture would help, it's hard to describe in words.
Love...Serve...Remember
West

Post by West »

Found 'em, thanks.

My Bb has two dots. I got it a little more than a month ago and it's great. Perfectly in tune and no intonation problems. In fact, I haven't even tweaked it as I like it the way it is. The store where I bought it were out of Gens and had to order it for me. Of course I don't know how long it's been sitting in the importer's storehouse.
West

Post by West »

hoopy mike wrote:feel free to listen and tell me how awful I sound and how bad the intonation is, etc.
Now now, no need to get defensive. What I mainly dislike about the Sweetones/Celtic is the tone. They're too recorder-like for my taste. I can tell you're a much more skilled whistler than I am... but there's no escaping it still sounds like a Sweetone. ;)
hoopy mike wrote:As I've said elsewhere, I think that the whistler has a big impact on the sound of the whistle.
That's true for virtually every non-electronic instrument. However, no matter how good a player is, it's not possible to radically change the inherent tone and sound of an instrument. IMHO.
hoopy mike wrote:I hate to see this thread turning into a "Sweetones are awful" set of posts. Fine, if you can't get a decent tune out of them then don't play them, but in common with all the cheapies, some people like them and can play them reasonably well.
Fair enough. I never meant it to sound like I was expressing a universal truth when I said "they're terrible whistles". If you like 'em -- great! Sorry if I made it sound like anyone who likes Sweetones should change their minds because they're wrong.
hoopy mike wrote:(and send me your unwanted Sweetones)
I'm not gonna just give it away but if you want a backup Celtic I'll trade it for that Feadog, if you still have it. It's in mint condition -- I think I even still have the little box it came in :)
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

West wrote:Found 'em, thanks.

My Bb has two dots. I got it a little more than a month ago and it's great. Perfectly in tune and no intonation problems. In fact, I haven't even tweaked it as I like it the way it is. The store where I bought it were out of Gens and had to order it for me. Of course I don't know how long it's been sitting in the importer's storehouse.
Mine also has two dots, and sounds like sh*t. I meant to go and get another one today, but ran out of time. It could still be an operator issue, of course, but I can't get any of my other whistles to sound as horrible as my Gen Bb does.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Of my two Gen Bb's, I prefer the one with one dot over the one that has two. To be realistic, though, who knows whether it's because of the particular injection mold used for each, or normal variations within any brand of whistle.

The one that has two dots is duller, less responsive, and takes more breath. It's 100% playable through both octaves, like most cheapies, so I wouldn't say it's bad. The one with one dot is brighter, crisper (especially in the second octave) and takes less breath, so I prefer it. It's a fine whistle.
Love...Serve...Remember
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Went out and bought two more Gen Bb's today. Both have two dots, one is brass tube like my first one, and the other is a nickel tube. I now know that my first Bb is definately rubbish as both new whistles sound good. I favour the nickel one though, as it has an audible tonal difference that appeals to my ear more. I now don't have a least favourite anymore. I've broken down the nasty Bb into spare parts. I will see if the fipple works better on a home made PVC whistle and vice versa for the tube.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!