The "I Voted" Thread--participation voluntary

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

peeplj wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:HOw did you get to vote early? That's not allowed in Michigan.
Arkansas has an early voting option. I believe that several states do.

"Vote early and often." :lol:

(Just kidding on the "often" part, of course!) :D

--James
I presume that gives some Arkansas natives time to learn to read the ballot?
:lol: :lol:

Sorry James, I couldn't resist.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Most states do have some provision that mandates giving employees sufficient time to vote. Some do specify at the beginning or end of shift, or giving employers advance notice, but that really shouldn't be that big a hardship, if you're planning now.

A few states don't make provision, but most of us really do have the right to insist on time off to vote, if we can't manage it either before or after our shift or via absentee ballot:

http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Interesting list, Redwolf. It looks like 19 states (38%) have no time-off provisions. Of the others, 9 do not mandate paid time. That means a majority of states (28 or 56%) allow employees to be penalized financially for voting. Ain't democracy grand ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I just sealed up my absentee ballot and stuck it in the big blue box out on the corner of my street!

First time I've done absentee. We have a new polling place, it's a school that will be in session, and there was NO WAY I was going to get into that mess. Plus I have training to conduct at work that day, so cannot be late (I ususally get number 1 or 2 at the polling place).

Does this mean I don't have to listen to any more political commercials for the next week? :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I voted today.

My husband and his mother voted yesterday.

I have to go help my blind friend vote tomorrow. He refuses to use the accessible voting machine at the courthouse, so I have to mark his ballot for him.

Spokane County is required to vote by mail, unless you need to use the special machine. No more trying to remember where you're supposed to go and trying to find a parking space once you get there.
Charlene
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

We sent our absentee ballots in a few days ago. (Our county allows you to sign up as a permanent absentee voter. We vote by mail in every election.)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwest

Post by dwest »

We'll be at the polls at 6 am to sneak in the back doors to avoid the gauntlet by the front doors. I took my mother in two weeks ago to vote which you can do in Virginia for medical, vacation, etc. reasons. We will take the rest of the day off to go biking and play with the pups.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I hope to be voting this afternoon. I was pleased to see in the paper this morning that 147,000 Utahns have voted early--and they expect the number to rise to 250,000 by election day. I'm glad. I'm working at the polls on election day and have been worried about getting bathroom breaks. :D

Susan
Stan

Post by Stan »

I voted early a few days ago......in and out in about five minutes.....chose a paper ballot.

I have yet to see an "Obama" sign in anyone's yard nor have I seen a political bumper sticker of any sort. Population of San Angelo is about 90K.
MandoMark

Post by MandoMark »

Voted last week, via absentee ballot. As always seems to be the case, I'm traveling election day, so I always get the early ballot.

Thankfully, AZ is not a swing state (although it's starting to look like less of a lock for our "native" son), I've been blissfully spared from prez commercials, except whilst traveling.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I voted this afternoon. Long line but moving quickly - they had something like ten receiving judges and pollbook judges who got people checked in fast. Umpteen voting machines--didn't have to wait even though there were probably 20-25 people on the machines. Tons of people voting early here.

Susan
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Texican expatriot currently exiled to Louisiana for work reasons. Did the absentee ballot thing.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Voted a week or so back. Very easy. In-vote-done in all of three minutes.

I hope we see record turn-out, and I HOPE there's none of the dangling chad business we have seen in elections past.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I voted almost two weeks ago. It must have been the Democrats' day because there were no pickup trucks with the back end full of brawling kids and patchy-haired dogs parked illegally on the courthouse lawn. I think all the Democrats showed up at once, because there were three people ahead of me in line and all six of the little cardboard stands were in use.

The nice thing about early voting is that I don't have to shove my way past all the silver-haired nursing home incontinents, redolent of Avon and stale urine, who were rounded up and stuffed in a parish van and dragged down to the polling place to strike a vote for Jesus.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Paul

Post by Paul »

My mom and I went and voted Friday. My mom and I always vote together :) The line was 3 hours long and it's even longer now! I can't imagine how it's gonna be next tue!