Creating my own forum

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Creating my own forum

Post by Doc Jones »

So, I'm thinking about creating a forum about medicinal herbs. When I 'm not running flute stores, Haitian orphanages or my vet practice, I work with herbs.

What can anyone tell me about acquiring the forum software (is it software?) that runs C&F's forum?

Does one need special hardware?

Does one need to be smart?

Does one need one's head examined?

Anyway, if anybody knows anything about it I'd like to hear from you. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Denny

Post by Denny »

the software
http://www.phpbb.com/

ya might need a server ta put it on....
there will be some setup issues!
mukade

Post by mukade »

Many Internet Providers offer back-end interfaces that allow you to install scripts such as PHPbb with a single click.

Fantastico is one of the most common.
http://cpanel-host.com/fantastico/

Check if your your host for the Flute Store has it.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I run a similar site at my university.

I've learned you don't have to be too smart as long as you have a couple of IT-competent friends who don't mind (too much) fixing your site when you break it.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

A quick Google shows there are already forums about herbs. Perhaps it would be helpful to make sure that you aren't just adding to the noise, that your new forum will be significantly different from what's already out there, so that you will know you are not wasting your time re-inventing the wheel.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

aw, what about the value of the learning experience?

the pain, the anguish, the frustration?
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Thanks for the input fellows.

There doesn't seem to be a good medicinal herb forum particuarly one with a strong veterinary bent (Hey! that could be my new slogan...Doc Jones, not merely warped but actually bent.)

Turns out my hosting guys (Godaddy) make it pretty esay to set up.

Thanks again.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
djm

Post by djm »

Doc Jones wrote:Doc Jones, not merely warped but actually bent
Not just bent, but seriously disherbed. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Doc Jones wrote:Thanks for the input fellows.

There doesn't seem to be a good medicinal herb forum particuarly one with a strong veterinary bent (Hey! that could be my new slogan...Doc Jones, not merely warped but actually bent.)

Turns out my hosting guys (Godaddy) make it pretty esay to set up.

Thanks again.

Doc
I know a number of Irisher folk who would be interested in such a veterinary medicinal herb forum, let us know how it goes.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I have a lot of experience with phpbb forum software.

You must have a web hosting provider that allows you to use php and mysql or another similar database.

It is very easy to install the forum and use it right out of the box. In many ways, doing absolutely no customization is the best option if you are not a web programmer. Then upgrades are easy.

The initial hurdle you will have is creating a database for your forum and editing one configuration file to include your database name, database's username and password. You may need to ask someone to help you with that. Creating a database is actually very easy and whoever helps you will take about 5 minutes to actually do the work (not counting researching if your web hosting will even allow him/her to do the work.)

The other hurdle you will have is figuring out how to change the phpbb logo to your logo. After that, you'll be off and running.

Phpbb has a lively support forum of its own. I have always found the help I need there. If you look at the support forum you will see that mostly people seek help because the forum gets spammed a lot. Phpbb is a target of spammers who try to get their spammy web sites linked in the memberlist and in posts. As an owner of a phpbb site I have spent considerable effort fighting this scourge. In fact, I have customized my site so severely that I cannot upgrade it anymore. That's ok with me though because the spammers can no longer get in. Buwahahaha! :twisted:

Another good forum is Vbulletin. I have participated in Vbulletin forums but I have not ever installed one. In my limited experience it appears Vbulletin has way more fancy features.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Doc Jones wrote:There doesn't seem to be a good medicinal herb forum particuarly one with a strong veterinary bent
Let us know when you get it set up. I'll definitely tell our vet about it. She practices a mixture of western and eastern (i.e., Asian) veterinary medicine, and uses a lot of herbal remedies. (She's also licensed for animal chiropractics and acupuncture. You should see her trying to crack a horse's back...)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

yup, phpBB is the way to go. It's a little tricky getting it set up, but there are some pretty good tutorials on the internet going around... just google "how to install phpBB" and you should find plenty to get you started.
Sweetbriar

Post by Sweetbriar »

Hey Doc,

Have you checked out the Herbwifery forum (herbwifery.org)? It has an animal section but it's still really small. Mind you, I'm not discouraging you from starting a new one, just thought you might like the herbwifery one. It's especially good because many of the members are actually practicing herbalists, instead of people who read prevention articles and then think they're experts ;) it also has a focus on traditional western herbalism, which is a refreshing viewpoint (much inspired by Matthew Wood, Tommie Bass, Julliette Levy and so on). There's at least a couple of people on the forum who's specialty tends towards herbalism for animals, it'd be great to have your input over there if you have the time.

Seeing as I'm an herbalist by trade/vocation, I seem to have found my way into nearly every major herbal forum online (some good, some not so much) and used to be the moderator of a 5,000 + member one (found out I don't like moderating nearly as much as I like herbs), and I can say that setting up and running a forum isn't too difficult at all.

Good luck, and do keep us updated with what you do. And lemme know if you need any help getting the word out to people who might want to join, I have about 500 subscribers to my herbal blog and several thousand daily readers usually, and would be happy to announce the birth of a new herb forum :)

~Kiva
Paul

Post by Paul »

Godaddy is fine for phpbb or Vbulletin. VB is extremely stable and very tough to hack. It's a good system. I paid 160.00 for mine a few years ago. You can pay a little extra and they'll set it up for you as well. Very neat and clean. Plus there's a million cool plug-ins to choose from.

Good luck!
mukade

Post by mukade »

Our male cavalier spaniel is currently taking a course of moxibustion prescribed by our vet.

I was very dubious about it, but he is a very talented guy and has done some amazing work with our other dogs.

After a week or so of the treatment it seems to be working.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon