Marathon -- YAY!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Marathon -- YAY!

Post by chas »

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon today, and it all went well. I had a few goals:

Finish the race: Done
Finish the race with not too much walking: Done
Finish the race wanting to run another marathon: Done, probably running Portland (ME) next fall
Break 5 hours: Done, ran 4:56

I hadn't run more than 18 miles, that two months ago, before the race, so my plan was to run 18 miles in 3 hours, then maybe half-run, half-walk the rest. I wound up doing closer to an 11-minute pace, but was able to go 21 miles before any walking. I'm pretty sure I walked less than 10 minutes, more like 6 or 7. One thing that surprised me is that the limiting factor had NOTHING to do with energy. It was just aches (more later).

I'd also wanted to avoid much knee, hip, and foot pain. My knees literally are less sore than they've been after any long run I can remember. That's probably a result of training and stretching. The feet hurt only because of pounding the pavement, nothing to do with ligaments. The hips are okay, the IT band obviously isn't too bad, otherwise my knees would hurt.

What hurts is the thighs -- quads and hamstrings both. But it's a healthy hurt. It's 5 hours after the race, and I just did a couple of flights of stairs with minimal difficulty. Both my achilles are also sore -- they're a little sore walking, and also tender to the touch in a very small area.

My brother and niece (also her first marathon) both came down and ran. She's also fine, a little sore. I'm just SOOO pumped that we all three came through with flying colors. What a great day!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Congrats!

The tightness may take a day or two to be noticed - I remember the ex going down stairs "backwards" on the second day after a marathon or ultra (yeah -he did stupid stuff like 50 milers).

Another thing to watch - don't be surprised if you loose a toe nail. Depending on how your shoes fit, your big toe could have been hitting the toe box of your shoe during the race.. If I remember correctly, that usually happened a couple of weeks after he ran a race.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wow.
My 30 min./day on the elliptical pales.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Big Respect.

A great achievement, without a doubt.

I have a huge respect for those who can do a Marathon.

I just wish that my knee was up to it....

I can do eighty, ninety miles on a bike but ten yards of running kills me, and my left knee...alas.

Be Proud of yourself, very proud..

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Good for you, that's very impressive. Just thinking about the word "marathon" makes me tired.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Can I have your free T-shirt?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Way to go!!!
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Way to go!!!
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well done, Chas! I've only ever done half that distance.

There was a Marathon in the UK this weekend. Read the details here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/oct/2 ... me-weather
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chas

Post by chas »

missy wrote: Another thing to watch - don't be surprised if you loose a toe nail. Depending on how your shoes fit, your big toe could have been hitting the toe box of your shoe during the race.. If I remember correctly, that usually happened a couple of weeks after he ran a race.
There was one sign I passed a couple of times that said, "Toenails are for wimps," and it had a poorly drawn but extremely recognizable foot with a black nail. I lost a nail several years ago from tight shoes -- I ran yesterday in well-broken-in shoes.

The stairs the morning after the race are quite formidable. I do seem to be loosening up, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Congrats on a triumph.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas

Post by chas »

Here's a pic of us afterward (me on the right):

There should be a before pic once those taken by the race photographers are available.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Denny

Post by Denny »

chas wrote:Here's a pic of us afterward (me on the right)
are you sure?

look kinda normal for a C&F member....
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Way to go! Congratulations.

I can walk a marathon but can't run around the block. I don't know how anybody can run that far. Good work!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird