What's your least favorite whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What's your least favorite whistle?

Post by West »

ahogrelius wrote:The color is close to the same tint of green that makes you think of the the walls of a hospital or asylum though that shade of green a bit brighter.
So true. That color is horrid.
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

Some of my least favorites include a Waltons (wide bore), Clare and Clarke Sweetone. The Waltons and Clare I dislike because they require a lot of air to play and sound too breathy for my taste (not that I'm after a perfectly clear tone, I'd dislike that just as much). The Sweetone I used to play a lot but once I started playing Generations, Feadógs and Oaks (now all favorites) my ear can no longer take the poor tuning of the Clarkes.
arnie

Post by arnie »

hoopy mike wrote:
Mick Down Under wrote:My Generation Bb. I have the whole range of Gens in red tops and all seem to play just fine, but not the Bb. I've tried several minor tweaks to get it to sound ok but nothing seems to work. It seems to be out of tune and most certainly hates to kick up into the second octave. I would much rather listen to a cute small furry animal screaming in pain than play this horrid peice of brass tube with holes in it.
I should get another one and send the old one to the Hoopy Home for abandoned whistles. Only Mr Hoopy don't like Gens.
Ooh interesting. I can't get along with my brass Bb Gen either, although I'm working on it, given that many people say that the Bb is the best Gen around. Are the nickel ones any better? I wouldn't say that any of my whistles are my least favourite though.

Stay hoopy,
Mike
I cannot go with this one. The Gen Bb for me is the only inexpensive whistle that can compete with expensive whistles. It has a steady tone, stable, good bellnote, is responsive and goes easily between the octaves but not to easily.
My Sweetone C and Gen high G are whistles that are my least favorites. I also had a Chieftain high D which had a very nice full tone, but was impossible to play, far too much backpressure (more than my Overton low D) and far too loud.
Whiddler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

I don't like my brass Walton's in D. It's too shrill. I like my Walton's in C, though.
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

I have a Clarke Original unpainted whistle that I can't do much with. For any note above g I have to blow my brains out, and the sound I get back isn't worth the effort.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

arnie wrote:
hoopy mike wrote:
Mick Down Under wrote:My Generation Bb. I have the whole range of Gens in red tops and all seem to play just fine, but not the Bb. I've tried several minor tweaks to get it to sound ok but nothing seems to work. It seems to be out of tune and most certainly hates to kick up into the second octave. I would much rather listen to a cute small furry animal screaming in pain than play this horrid peice of brass tube with holes in it.
I should get another one and send the old one to the Hoopy Home for abandoned whistles. Only Mr Hoopy don't like Gens.
Ooh interesting. I can't get along with my brass Bb Gen either, although I'm working on it, given that many people say that the Bb is the best Gen around. Are the nickel ones any better? I wouldn't say that any of my whistles are my least favourite though.

Stay hoopy,
Mike
I cannot go with this one. The Gen Bb for me is the only inexpensive whistle that can compete with expensive whistles. It has a steady tone, stable, good bellnote, is responsive and goes easily between the octaves but not to easily.
My Sweetone C and Gen high G are whistles that are my least favorites. I also had a Chieftain high D which had a very nice full tone, but was impossible to play, far too much backpressure (more than my Overton low D) and far too loud.
I've probably owned 6 or 8 Generation Bb and they were all first rate. Go figure.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Dale wrote:I've probably owned 6 or 8 Generation Bb and they were all first rate. Go figure.
Yeah. Hence my confusion and determination to persist with it. Did you notice any marked difference between the brass and nickel Generations in Bb?

Stay hoopy,
Mike
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Definitely Sweetone. Dull tone. Very little chiff, so cuts don't sound crisp at all and don't add much edge or pulse to the music. It was easy to play, but I sure didn't want to play it.
Love...Serve...Remember
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

hoopy mike wrote:Did you notice any marked difference between the brass and nickel Generations in Bb?
I'm all about the brass baby. :wink:
bill

Post by bill »

My least favorite whistle would probably be one that I made from some water pipe... :D
tomk

Post by tomk »

I have a b flat wistle that I over tweeked , so I used a dremel tool and carved out the inside of the whole plastic part from where it stops and connects to the brass part , only on the bottom half and then I carved the chiff away till it was at the base , leaving enough of a platform to put in a beeswax um ,, new chiff ? , and put a thin piece of brass sheet on top of the wax so it would adhere , a wire inside the bore and loooooow wistle ,, sounds like a mini low wistle and nobody knows how I made it sound like that ,, till now . tom . :) for clarity , I removed excavated the area that WAS over tweeked . I think , any way its mine now lol .
Yes I am refering to the ramp . It had been shaved too much so I rebuilt it + some .
Last edited by tomk on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

tomk wrote:then I carved the chiff away
No, not chiff. You mean the ramp / blade / labium, I guess.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

MTGuru wrote:
tomk wrote:then I carved the chiff away
No, not chiff. You mean the ramp / blade / labium, I guess.
Well, carving off too much of the ramp / blade / labium will remove the chiff as well as tone too... :D :D :D

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

This is an easy one. I've had many whistles that were so bad they ended up in the trash, but the one that comes to mind in particular was a Pakistani-made non-tunable brass D that was actually closer to Eb but not quite, and sounded like a constipated goat, or at least what I'd imagine a constipated goat would sound like, jumped octaves by merely touching it, and tasted terrible. I accidentally ran over it with my car. Ok. It was on purpose and sure felt good. :evil:
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

lyrick wrote:Definitely Sweetone. Dull tone. Very little chiff, so cuts don't sound crisp at all and don't add much edge or pulse to the music. It was easy to play, but I sure didn't want to play it.
What an absolutely perfect description of the Sweetone! My hat's off..

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.