What's your least favorite whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's your least favorite whistle?

Post by West »

I've seen a lot of threads about favorite whistles and recommendations here. Now, just out of curiosity, I would like to ask what is your least favorite one of all the whistles you have -- and why. I know, it might not seem like a very constructive topic but I figured it might be fun to compare what people dislike in whistles. One person's black sheep might be another one's favorite.

Out of my mighty collection of seven whistles (ahem), my least favorite one is a Clarke Celtic. I hardly ever play it. It's completely untweaked and jumps up into the second octave if I as much as look at it the wrong way. I feel no urge to tweak it either as I hate its nasal tone. It's also quite ugly. And yes, if anyone wants to trade it for some other cheapie, I'm game.

OK. Your turn. :)
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
Skyclad01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

For me, it would be my Feadog D. I have tried all the home tweaks I know, and no matter what. the low note always have a ringing sound to them like they are about to go into the 2nd octave. And the 2nd octave notes arent any better.

Breath control doesnt matter, either your blowing too soft or too hard, theres never been any happy medium with it. Which is a shame, cause the few notes that do play well make it sound as nice as my brass Acorn D.
Owen Meehan

Post by Owen Meehan »

Sweetone-- mostly because of the intonation. The D is particularly bad but the C is decent (though still not my favorite).
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

If you're going to cite a least favorite whistle, please give at least some details of your experience with it and the reasons why you don't like it (as several people have done here, and several have not). Otherwise it's not particularly useful or informative. Thanks.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tomk

Post by tomk »

dixie :lol:
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Hmm.

Well, if you have unplayable whistles, then the Hoopy Home for Abandoned and Abused Whistles is open 24/7. See:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... &start=105
for details of a recent success story. Sweetones are particularly welcome.

Stay Hoopy,
Mike
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

hoopy mike wrote:Hmm.

Well, if you have unplayable whistles, then the Hoopy Home for Abandoned and Abused Whistles is open 24/7. See:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... &start=105
for details of a recent success story. Sweetones are particularly welcome.

Stay Hoopy,
Mike
Interesting you thought of that as a 'success'.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Re: What's your least favorite whistle?

Post by ahogrelius »

West wrote: Out of my mighty collection of seven whistles (ahem), my least favorite one is a Clarke Celtic. I hardly ever play it.
I agree with West, I have one Clarke Celtic in my collection which is, hmm, getting substantial... :) I don't like the nasal tone of the Clarke Celtic and the color almost makes me sick. The color is close to the same tint of green that makes you think of the the walls of a hospital or asylum though that shade of green a bit brighter. Douglas Adams put a nice name to that particular color, Gang Green... :D :D :D

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

My Generation Bb. I have the whole range of Gens in red tops and all seem to play just fine, but not the Bb. I've tried several minor tweaks to get it to sound ok but nothing seems to work. It seems to be out of tune and most certainly hates to kick up into the second octave. I would much rather listen to a cute small furry animal screaming in pain than play this horrid peice of brass tube with holes in it.
I should get another one and send the old one to the Hoopy Home for abandoned whistles. Only Mr Hoopy don't like Gens. Ah well, I still got my Overton Low D and my O'Brien Rover as well as my Meg and Mellow D in my favorites list.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
henryz

Post by henryz »

I had a run-in with two Waltons Little Blacks that I bought at a local souvenir shop. The lower octave notes played reasonably well (no excessive raspiness or tendency to flip up uncontrollably), but second octave notes from F# on up seemed very shrill and raspy. I tried the usual tweaks on both whistles with no significant improvement. Also, the thin aluminum tubes did not seem very durable.

I've had a little better luck with Feadog D's, although my sample size is small at 3. One is a JF tweaked version, which plays nicely, except for the second octave B. I just don't have the skills, yet, to make that note non-shrill. The two stock whistles were much worse in the second octave - very raspy. I used their tubes with other heads. The stock Feadog D sound just grates on my ears, so they're high on my list of bad guys.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I have a fake Overton high D I bought on e-bay. It looks nice but the head will drop off the body. If I tape it together and it's unplayable. I could never get my Oak D to work well either although I blame that more on me than whistle.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Mick Down Under wrote:My Generation Bb. I have the whole range of Gens in red tops and all seem to play just fine, but not the Bb. I've tried several minor tweaks to get it to sound ok but nothing seems to work. It seems to be out of tune and most certainly hates to kick up into the second octave. I would much rather listen to a cute small furry animal screaming in pain than play this horrid peice of brass tube with holes in it.
I should get another one and send the old one to the Hoopy Home for abandoned whistles. Only Mr Hoopy don't like Gens.
Ooh interesting. I can't get along with my brass Bb Gen either, although I'm working on it, given that many people say that the Bb is the best Gen around. Are the nickel ones any better? I wouldn't say that any of my whistles are my least favourite though.

Stay hoopy,
Mike
Welshman

Post by Welshman »

I made the mistake of buying a bright red Clarke's "Meg" - it sounds decent enough, but the feel of it is just like you would find in a toy shop. Every time I try to play it I start hankering for my old train set, and I develop this strange desire to go into my back garden to play cowboys!

Not sure if that's the whistle or pre-senile dementia.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

if i had to list a least favorite, it would be my Generation D brass. horribly out of tune from the get-go and my self-tweaking didn't help too much with the sound.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I'll try again... maybe I won't get deleted this time.
I got a Cooperman as a souvenir in Williamsburg last year that was the worst thing I've ever played. The 2nd octave was unreachable without extreme air, and even then it was mostly just an air sound. After tweaking, I can play easily up to high b but the sound has a raspy metallic buzz to it.