"Mel Bay's Complete ITW Book" - Experiences, anyon

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tikva
antispam: No

"Mel Bay's Complete ITW Book" - Experiences, anyon

Post by Tikva »

Has anyone "Mel Bay's Complete ITW Book with CD" (Mizzy McCaskill,...) at home?

What are your experiences with it?
How are lessons made up?

I have already seen a table of contents, but there were no adequate example pages.

I'm glad for all your reviews!
Last edited by Tikva on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I'm not familiar with the book, but I did look at the samples on the Mel Bay page:

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=96191BCD

At first glance, it seems OK; the written phrasing and fingerings look reasonable. But then I listened to the sound samples ...

Good lord, what a dog's breakfast. The whistle playing is very wrong - articulation, breathing, phrasing. It sounds very much like a classical flutist* or recorder player trying to play Irish music mechanically, with no real understanding. Not to mention the synthesizer accompaniments and mega-reverb from hell. The 4/4 Samba-style accompaniment to the double jig "Get Up Old Woman" is ... incomprehensible in a beginner's method.

*The author's title list also suggests that this is the case, a classical flutist dabbling in ITM:
http://www.melbay.com/authors.asp?author=91

Maybe it's unfair to judge the whole method from this. But the publisher chose the samples. And based on these, I would give it a big thumbs-down. There are far better choices.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

MTGuru wrote:Good lord, what a dog's breakfast. The whistle playing is very wrong - articulation, breathing, phrasing. It sounds very much like a classical flutist* or recorder player trying to play Irish music mechanically, with no real understanding. Not to mention the synthesizer accompaniments and mega-reverb from hell. The 4/4 Samba-style accompaniment to the double jig "Get Up Old Woman" is ... incomprehensible in a beginner's method.
OMG, this is hilarious. The "Fig for a Kiss" is awesome, too. It sounds like music from Myst or something like that.

I had my suspicions about this book but I never expected it to be that bad.

Screw the book. Google "Brother steve tin whistle" instead
William Bajzek
rance
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rance »

I have the book.

The whole CD is as bad as the sound sample. Not one track is worth listening to. It's a waste of time and money.
pipersgrip

Re: "Mel Bay's Complete ITW Book" - Experiences, a

Post by pipersgrip »

Tikva wrote:Has anyone "Mel Bay's Complete ITW Book with CD" (Mizzy McCaskill,...) at home?

What are your experiences with it?
How are lessons made up?

I have already seen a table of contents, but there were no adequate example pages.

I'm glad for all your reviews!
I have it, and I don't think it is very great. The versions of the tunes are way different than anybody else plays. It is not a book for beginners either. I didn't really learn anything from it. The finger charts are good for ornamentation, but the cd is olny a few tunes, and not directions for ornamentation, I was lost when I first got it. It has a bunch of songs and tunes in it, but like I said before, the cd only has just a few, and versions are different from what everybody else plays. There were also no lessons made up, I guess it is go at your own pace for that book. I would go for something different, maybe like G. Larson's book.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have the book. I don't recommend it though.

Get the Bill Ochs book and CD. It's a very good book.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

Thank you, folks!

My thoughts exactly. I thought maybe the sound files came out wrong on my old laptop... Obviously not. Aaah, music from hell! :lol:

I'm now trying to decided wether it's going to be Grey Larsen or Bill Ochs. Mind you, I'm looking for a book where I can learn ornamentation and it definately needs a CD to go with it.
RVC

Post by RVC »

I'm a newb and I also have Bill Och's, "The Clarke Tin Whistle." I like it and recommend it. It starts by teaching the reader to read music and then progresses from simple tunes to the much more complex (for me anyway) and includes a 74 minute CD of every lesson and tune in the book. I got mine from Amazon.com for around $18 plus shipping.

RVC
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

Steafan Hannigan's book "The Low Whistle Book" is also very good and I think a lot of what's in it also applies to the "regular" whistles. He goes through the ornamentation in a way that I found very useful and there are a lot of good examples on the companion CD.

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?