The cult of perfection

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The cult of perfection

Post by ubizmo »

I was going to put this in the Flute forum but it's really a more general reflection on recorded music and expectations. I found it thought provoking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ninaflute
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

all to often we let the talent 'on the other side of the glass' take precedence.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We regards to the cult of perfection, I'm an atheist. I'm tired of people ramming perfection down my throat. There is no perfection. Why don't they agree with this and get over it?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Sure, it's a good point, and an obvious one, I think. It reminds me of the recent misguided suggestion here on the board that you need to practice a tune 50 or 100 times before you can play it. There can be musicality at every level of ability, and there's no music unless you "just do it" without fretting too much over perfection until you're ready for that.

I've watched Nina's instructional vids before, and find them interesting for explaining the details of modern flute technique.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

mutepointe wrote:There is no perfection. Why don't they agree with this and get over it?
How is it that in your avatar, the person and the dog walk at the same speed? They take the same amount of steps, yet the dog takes much smaller ones. He should be quickly left behind.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

BoneQuint wrote:How is it that in your avatar, the person and the dog walk at the same speed? They take the same amount of steps, yet the dog takes much smaller ones. He should be quickly left behind.
Side-by-side invisible treadmills. Obviously!

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No, no, NO. It's because the dog has twice as many legs. C'mon.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Interesting how those "Real Flute" clips use so much artificial reverb. And there are a heck of a lot of ads on her YouTube channel and website. But, fair play to her for putting up a bunch of free clips and instructional videos.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Anyone who's heard the Renaissance BBC tapes will immediately realize that perfect isn't best. It's a two-disc set recorded over several years of their appearances on BBC. There's minimal post-recording processing, so what you're hearing is the music as they played it, warts and all. Another great one is Steppenwolf Live, on which the performances aren't nearly as clean as the studio versions, John's not in as good a voice, but there's something alive about the music. (Yes, I know one side was recorded in the studio.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I like perfect.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Well, good luck with that, Jack. :lol:

I like her philosophy. I believe there are two related reasons "folk music" (by which I mean music made by regular, non-pro folks, not the Kingston Trio) has largely died out as a passtime: 1. It's easier to pop in a CD (oh, wait, that's too much work now, isn't it? Turn on your MP3 player), and 2. Well, I don't sound like the professionals on the CD, so I must not be any good.

Does anybody remember a few years back when a bunch of us Rocky Mountain Boys were getting together for sessions? A long-since-gone poster criticized our soundclips because we didn't sound like some bygone recording of several members of the chieftains having a session. :roll:

Seems to me if you're good enough to be having fun, it's worth doing.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
djm

Post by djm »

I, too, prefer studio versus "live" recordings. If you can do more and do better, then why not? e.g. If you like to listen to Jimmy Page playing solo on stage then go for it, but personally, I would much rather listen to the guitar orchestras he built up in the studio (just an example, of course). Even for one-offs, musicians may record the same track fifty times until they can get it "right", but I would rather listen to it when it is right than the "off the cuff" version I would otherwise get from a live performance.

Some people seem to be inordinately proud of "making do". I can make do with the best of 'em, but give me a choice for better and I will gladly take it.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It depends on the music for me but as a general rule I prefer live, unenhanced music any day.

I'd rather go to a jam and play my dulcimer than listen to it on CD.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Listening to her play, what she calls 'imperfect'
is what I call 'perfect.' With imperfection like
that, who needs perfection?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

djm wrote:Some people seem to be inordinately proud of "making do". I can make do with the best of 'em, but give me a choice for better and I will gladly take it.
Sure, that's perfectly legit, deej. But I took her point as relating to learners' inhibitions, and the danger of perfect studio recordings setting an unrealistic standard for learners. Apples and oranges, and the perfect being the enemy of the good, that sort of thing.

We've all experienced studio recording stars who are, in fact, quite ordinary musicians in person. But ordinary is no shame, especially in a participatory tradition, and when it's a step along a continuing road from ordinary to extraordinary.