How long a gap in unemployment before you are doomed?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

How long a gap in unemployment before you are doomed?

Post by sbfluter »

I have been pretty much unemployed since March. Am I doomed? Right now I work part time in a pet store and volunteer. I am also trying to scare up my own freelance work because high-paying jobs don't seem to be coming my way. And soon I may be working a temporary 16 hour a week gig for a few months.

Am I doomed now? Have I become unemployable? How long outside the corporate box until you are considered unemployable? How would I explain my current patchwork employment status if I did get an interview for a corporate gig?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
dwest

Re: How long a gap in unemployment before you are doomed?

Post by dwest »

sbfluter wrote:I have been pretty much unemployed since March. Am I doomed? Right now I work part time in a pet store and volunteer. I am also trying to scare up my own freelance work because high-paying jobs don't seem to be coming my way. And soon I may be working a temporary 16 hour a week gig for a few months.

Am I doomed now? Have I become unemployable? How long outside the corporate box until you are considered unemployable? How would I explain my current patchwork employment status if I did get an interview for a corporate gig?
You weren't unemployed, you were hiking, personal growth, establishing a goal, achieving said goal, not like you were sitting at home doing nothing.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I was out for almost two years, and the unemployment actually ran out. I found a job because I had the skills the employer needed.

I did get a sneer from one woman who was doing the interviewing because I had been out for so long. Needless to say, I don't think I ever had a chance at that job.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

If so, I'm in deep doo doo (or will be if I have to re-enter the work force). Aside from a few freelancing jobs, I've been technically unemployed for the past 16 years (though I'm not sure I'd call being a full-time mom "unemployed"...).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Redwolf wrote:I'm not sure I'd call being a full-time mom "unemployed".
Many employers certainly would.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

If you're in a technical field, a year can be too much to overcome, unless you get proactive about using the time well. Take a course (even online or in a 'new horizons' sort of setting), do something to fill your portfolio, and realize that there are a lot of people out there in your situation, and when things improve, the people who have kept up on their skills will be in a better position.

Good luck! I went 3 years outside of a technical job, then came back in to the workforce in an entry level position, jockeyed that to a higher position than I had held previously, then tossed it away and decided that I wasn't going to be happy in a corporate situation anyway.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
djm

Post by djm »

Remember that you are in competition with every kid coming out of school with newer, more up-to-date skills than you have. Sure, I have heard lots of people say that one's experience counts, but oddly enough, I never hear that coming from people responsible for doing the actual hiring. Fresh experience is of much more value than old experience, as long as you have the chops to match, so you really have to keep current. The market for older employees is much smaller than it is for new hires. You've got to sell yourself and your skills like a commodity in a tough market. If you're going to spend your time doing anything, it should at least be somehow work-related in whatever your field is.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Well then, maybe I am doomed. If I was spending all my time work-related then I would not be unemployed. And oddly in my field if you stay at one corporation for a while, you automatically become behind as far as skills. That happened to me at my last job. They were so behind the times that the work I have to show new companies really sucks.

But that hardly matters much since maybe I am doomed.

I will be starting a temporary job on Friday, with any luck. It's not guaranteed I'll get the job, but I probably will. It has nothing to do with what I used to do, but it pays better than most part-time jobs. At least it'll take the edge off the unemployment. That means I will have two paid part-time jobs, freelance when I can get it, writing a book, sometimes I sell avocados and sometimes I even get paid a little bit to play music. I guess I'll see if I can find some other odd jobs.
~ Diane
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I graduated, got nothing but sporadic temp jobs for a year, went back to school for a year, had nothing but sporadic temp jobs for another 8 months, and then landed a full time job in something that I had no experience in, but the employer was willing to take a chance. That was two and a half years ago now. It happens!

Before I got the employer willing to take a chance I landed several interviews in the same field but always lost out to someone with more experience.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

We are all doomed. :moreevil:

(Not out of work yet, - this time - but it doesn't look good.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

You and me both. The last round of 2500 heads missed me by two seats. A few sweat stains on the desk from that one. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tikva

Re: How long a gap in unemployment before you are doomed?

Post by Tikva »

dwest wrote:You weren't unemployed, you were hiking, personal growth, establishing a goal, achieving said goal, not like you were sitting at home doing nothing.
YOU ARE NOT DOOMED! Start thinking like that and you'll be.

I had my last job interview only two months ago; fortunately at the same place where I did a three month internship half a year ago. It went well.
During the interview I was able to learn a few valuable things.

#1: No matter how long the period outside your job, if there is a good
explanation it may be overlooked.

#2: Fill the outtime with job-related activities. You work in a field
where you need language skills? How about a refresher course to
brush up and hone them?

#3: Internships and work-related workshops? They bring you in contact
with potential employers and update you on new developments?

#4: Use the time to acquire additional skills such as computers,
languages, ... Whatever is useful in your field.

#5: Don't rely on job agencies only. Show them you're active and not
sitting at home in front of the TV set, wasting your time.

#6: Don't lose your confidence! Make a list with the things you did during
your unemployment; be prepared for the one inevitable question:
Why did you lose your job, or rather how did you spend that time?

#7: Turn your weaknesses into your strong points.

My mum managed to get back on the job after a six-year-long gap. It wasn't easy. She read a lot of field-related literature to keep up with the standard. In the end she was rewarded with a brand new job; eventually got a permanent position.

I explained a one year gap in studies by telling them about the real reason for it and stating that I did a lot of study related work to gain more experience and in the end to determine which field I wanted to be in. - It worked out nicely.

Sbfluter, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Mid-fifties guy.
Had corporate jobs.
Got laid off.
Started a biz.
Belly-up in 11 months.
Earned an MBA.
Got a corporate job.
Hoping not to repeat the cycle.

It's never too late. Don't assume there's any logic in any of it. There isn't.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The Weekenders wrote:I was out for almost two years, and the unemployment actually ran out. I found a job because I had the skills the employer needed.

I did get a sneer from one woman who was doing the interviewing because I had been out for so long. Needless to say, I don't think I ever had a chance at that job.
I was out for only six months but I also fell right into a job whose description had everything but my name in it. I had exactly the technical skill set they were looking for. I don't believe in luck but I came close to becoming a believer that day.
So keep looking and keep your spirits up. And don't count your worth as a human being by what job you do or don't have.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Ok, so maybe I am not doomed. There is so much to do when you aren't stuck in a cube. I am so busy that I don't know how to find time to do anything work-related.

I have an idea for another book after the one I'm working on is done, and after the others I started and haven't finished yet are done. Maybe I should just say I'm a writer. Too bad it makes no money.

Maybe I should become a technical writer. How do you get started? Does anybody know any technical writers who aren't angry and miserable? I haven't met any, but I don't think I would be angry and miserable if I were one.
~ Diane