I need laptop selection help please...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I need laptop selection help please...

Post by cowtime »

Daughter #2 is back in college and finds she now needs a laptop for doing powerpoint presentations, etc.

I just checked a site where I can get a discount through work on HP laptops-
I also compared these to Dell-since that's all I've ever had- and the HP can be downgraded to Windows XP professional instead of Vista. Is that a plus?

I know nothing about this stuff and need help. Any suggestions for a cheap as realistic laptop for her college work?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I wish the MacBooks were a bit cheaper. It's been my main computer for 2 years. A somewhat less expensive one is coming.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Most folks prefer XP over Vista.

If she can get by with a netbook, I would personally go that route. They are cheaper, smaller, have a smaller screen, a lot less storage. If all she needs to do is email, wordprocessing and powerpoint, a high end netbook might be enough. The lighter weight will be a blessing, even for someone young and strong. Asus and Acer are the big two for netbooks.

Other than that, many of the laptops are very similar, possibly even having the same components with different marketing badges.

I have found a lot of good deals through Techbargains.com. There are often coupons, or codes for a substantial discount. If money is really tight, used can be a good way to go, and Craigslist or similar can be a good resource for that. Refurb units can also be a good deal and often come with a similar warranty to new units. Even a five year old laptop would likely be sufficient to do Powerpoint running Windows XP. That said, if this is the functionality range, I would choose a much lighter new netbook for a similar price to a used laptop.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

I can highly recommend Dell XPS M1330, for ~$1000 or less it is hard to beat.

CPU - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo, 2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache
RAM - 4Gb SDRAM @ 667MHz
HD - 320 Gb
Video - 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
weight - 1.8 kg
LCD - 13,3"

Specs that are far better than my stationary PC at home, and about 10 kg less :wink:

Easy downgrade to windows XP, also full Linux support.
performance increase after downgrade from Vista to XP was significant.
Computational times in some of the Matlab applications I run were reduced with up to 30%.

It looks nice too! :D

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

HP Pavilion with XP, here. I like it. I do not want Vista. I do want a MacBook, but then people in... well... you know...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
mcurtiss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

I have Vista after years of XP and have issues. I wouldn't be too scared off by it if you find a machine you like with it preinstalled. if you do go with Vista, make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM with the possibility for upgrades.

I found a good deal on a Gateway through Best Buy- something like $699 for a 17" widescreen desktop replacement. with 2gb of RAM and a nice sized harddrive, built -in webcam for skyping. They may still carrying something like that.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

mcurtiss wrote:I have Vista after years of XP and have issues. I wouldn't be too scared off by it if you find a machine you like with it preinstalled. if you do go with Vista, make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM with the possibility for upgrades.

I found a good deal on a Gateway through Best Buy- something like $699 for a 17" widescreen desktop replacement. with 2gb of RAM and a nice sized harddrive, built -in webcam for skyping. They may still carrying something like that.
correction. it's now $649 and it has 4GB of RAM. i feel cheated. :D
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

vista wipes.

took me weeks to be able to use my everyday xp files on vista.

lottsa programmes dont work, OR work in half-@$$ed mode.

It's worth it to have MS office activated on the laptop. It's like an extra couple hundred you'll have to shell out when the trial version stops running.

another complete annoyance is that vista files dont always open on other computers:

and to make matters worse,

rtf usually opens for everyone, right?

but in vista, ms saves rtf files as super sized gihugic chunky 1 or 2 MB documents instead of the usual 3 /4 Kb sized rtf's that we all know and love,

thereby making a major pain in the neck
mcurtiss

Post by mcurtiss »

CHasR wrote:vista wipes.

took me weeks to be able to use my everyday xp files on vista.

lottsa programmes dont work, OR work in half-@$$ed mode.

It's worth it to have MS office activated on the laptop. It's like an extra couple hundred you'll have to shell out when the trial version stops running.

another complete annoyance is that vista files dont always open on other computers:

and to make matters worse,

rtf usually opens for everyone, right?

but in vista, ms saves rtf files as super sized gihugic chunky 1 or 2 MB documents instead of the usual 3 /4 Kb sized rtf's that we all know and love,

thereby making a major pain in the neck
YMMV, in this case. I have lots of old Word and Wordperfect files that open fine for me in Vista using Office 2003. maybe its 2003 that is the reason why it works, who knows.

Also, I have good luck in Vista using OpenOffice.

and so people don't think i'm promoting Vista; if I had my druthers I'd be 100% Ubuntu, but my iPod and some other programs don't allow me to.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi cowtime

You are looking at a spec of:-

Dual core processor
2 gig minimum RAM
100 gig( or more) HDD
15.4 inch screen.

This will run xP or Vista quite happily - unless she is severely number crunching, your daughter will not notice much speed difference between them with a spec like the above. Personally I would go with Vista.

As she is a student she qualifies for this, The Ultimate Steal so buying Microsoft Office with the laptop is not good value for money.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I've just got a new Vaio laptop with Vista and a trial version of Office 2008. It allowed me to install my old version of Office 2002 to my surprise - I just don't feel like paying for it again and I don't need anything clever, just a word processor that can open .doc documents really. Whether this is going to work for me is a mystery for now.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Great info folks! Unlike her math prone sister, she is pursuing a degree in counseling so no number crunching necessary. She did mention that she thought it would be good to go with XP instead of Vista so she could use my printer/computer too.(I have broadband, she has dial-up) I'd just get a router for here. Hey, just how far can a wireless router go? Her house is not far from mine-as in maybe 500-600 feet.

Wow, Davy, thanks for the heads up on the Office student discount! Yipee.

Thanks to all- I knew I could count on y'all to steer me in the right direction.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

I got the Ultimate steal, and am extremely happy. The only downside is that Office 2007 does take a while to get used to, but I like it a lot better than 2003. Just remember, most professors have 2003, so they get annoyed when you submit assignments as .docx or .pptx. Make sure to save it as the 97-2003 file version if the file is going to be opened in Office 2003 or earlier

Jonathan

Edit: Just missed that someone posted it. Glad to see the word is getting out about it!