Flute box clasp, looking for a supplier

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aerowhip
antispam: No

Post by Aerowhip »

Hi All -

I've made a few cases over the years, and had trouble locating these latches also.

In the past I have purchased them from

J.L. Smith & Co.
1816 East 7th Street
Charlotte, NC 28204 USA
704-334-5150
JLSmithCo.com

I used my last pair, in fact had one installed and the site for the second one routed, when I discovered the second latch was faulty. I called JL Smith Co in a panic, and they were able to come up with one last matching latch, but the indication was that they were having trouble finding them also. You might call and ask -- even when they had them they were not shown in their catalog. I've not been woodworking much lately, so it's been a year or more.

Do let us all know if you find them. They must be out there somewhere!

Linda
Aerowhip

Post by Aerowhip »

Double-posted -- once is enough!

:wink:
Jay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

I decided to email Chris Wilkes who replied right away. He gets his from a German supplier, but there's a minimum order of 200 pounds. He said he would get me the contact information if I was still interested. I don't think I could use that many.

I followed Linda's link, and then opened their pdf catalog. The clips are there on page 39. These look like the right ones. Cost is $21.00 each or $9.45 each when buying 12 or more. That's a huge cost savings!! But I really don't need 12 either.

If anyone decides to buy a few dozen, perhaps I could buy a few from you.

Linda, you're case looks very nice. Thanks for sharing the latch source with us.

Best,
Jay
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Jay wrote:I decided to email Chris Wilkes who replied right away. He gets his from a German supplier, but there's a minimum order of 200 pounds. He said he would get me the contact information if I was still interested. I don't think I could use that many.

I followed Linda's link, and then opened their pdf catalog. The clips are there on page 39. These look like the right ones. Cost is $21.00 each or $9.45 each when buying 12 or more. That's a huge cost savings!! But I really don't need 12 either.

If anyone decides to buy a few dozen, perhaps I could buy a few from you.

Linda, you're case looks very nice. Thanks for sharing the latch source with us.

Best,
Jay
Could you post a link for the PDF?
Thanks,
Jon
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Jon C. wrote:Could you post a link for the PDF?
Thanks,
Jon
Now that's just being lazy :D ...here you go.

Jay
Jay

Post by Jay »

I also emailed Michael Grinter, who also uses the box clasp I like. Here is "his" reply, which actually came from his wife helen, who makes his boxes.

"Hello Jay,

No problem about asking where we get our sliding box catches from. They are made by a company called Gebr. Maissenbacher who are based in Germany. However, we don’t source them from there but from a company called Ivor Spry in London. I haven’t ordered any since late last year and in the meantime the company has changed hands so I can’t really comment on their service as from now but in the past it has been excellent. I usually order the catches in batches of 100 so I’m not sure what the minimum order would be if any – best to contact them directly.

Here are the details for you..

Mike King

Director

Ivor Spry and Co

Knight’s Hill Square

London SE270HH

Ph. 020 8761 1813

Fax 020 8761 8796

E-mail sales@spry.co.uk

The catches come in left handed and right handed options and are really very good quality and I don’t think particularly expensive for what they are. There may be a company in US that carries the range, but I didn’t find any when I was searching for them a few years ago. I got the contact for the catches from Andrew Crawford’s wonderful fine-boxes website.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Regards Helen (Michael’s wife and also the boxmaker)

P.S. Forgot to mention that Ivor Spry have a website the address of which is www.spry.co.uk. It’s not particularly detailed but they sent me a catalogue which is full of all sorts of other handy items like small screws and hinges. Highly recommended!"

Best,
Jay
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cheney England

Post by Thalatta »

Speaking of boxes, does anyone know anything about "Cheney England"? I have a nice flutecase and the lock-hinges are stamped Cheney England. Any info regarding rough dates of that company, or other examples of flutes boxes with those names, would be appreciated. :o)
Thalatta
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

:)

Post by Thalatta »

Oops, I meant to leave a smiley face above, not that blue-faced fellow who's been playing the flute too long. I'll try again... :)
Thalatta