Going negative.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Going negative.

Post by Dale »

Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Spot on, Dale. I think this is especially important for flutes, since the wooden object in question is really only half of the instrument, the other half being the gombeen that's driving it. Case in point: try though I might, I never could get a satisfactory sound out of Christy Barry's Rudall, clearly not a problem shared by the man himself. However, by the standards of some who have posted reviews here in the past, some of whom, coincidentally, are the same crowd who consistently fail to include a corresponding sound file with their judgments, I would be entitled to rule vintage Rudalls as being crap. Your take makes much more sense. Cheers,

Rob
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Rob Sharer wrote:...However, by the standards of some who have posted reviews here in the past, some of whom, coincidentally, are the same crowd who consistently fail to include a corresponding sound file with their judgments...
Competence can be defined as "demonstrated personal attributes and demonstrated ability to apply knowledge and skills" (ISO 19011:2002). Posting sound files does not fully establish the competence of any reviewer since his personal attributes, which includes objectivity and impartiality, are not evident in his clips.

Furthermore, I was quite surprised that despite good sounding clips from some posters, their understanding of a "dark reedy tone" (see recent thread) was contrary to the actual harmonic content of the sound clip under analysis. It goes to show that even those who can competently play cannot articulate what they're actually hearing.

Gushing positive comments are one thing, but comments which put instrument makers in the poorhouse are another. The latter is both a liability and commercial consideration, which most of us are cognizant of, but nonetheless we permit such biases to temper our critique.

All of this simply points out once again the low reliance that one can place on any so-called "review" or testimonial.
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Guinness wrote:Furthermore, I was quite surprised that despite good sounding clips from some posters, their understanding of a "dark reedy tone" (see recent thread) was contrary to the actual harmonic content of the sound clip under analysis.
I actually object to terminology that overloads the meaning of bright and dark. It is a poorly chosen term that does not describe what is actually going on. Where else, except on the C&F flute forum, does "dark" sound mean more overtones rather than lack of treble?
William Bajzek
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

monkey587 wrote: I actually object to terminology that overloads the meaning of bright and dark. It is a poorly chosen term that does not describe what is actually going on. Where else, except on the C&F flute forum, does "dark" sound mean more overtones rather than lack of treble?
Well said. I have absolutely no idea what folks mean when they talk about dark and light tones, unless they mean the "brighter" tone of an Eb flute, I guess.

I understand firm and reedy pretty clearly but certainly not "dark" tone.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Guinness wrote:.....It goes to show that even those who can competently play cannot articulate what they're actually hearing.

This is a useful template.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Thanks.

Just a note, however, that we're not going to revive the to attach a sound file or to not attach a sound file debate.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Bless you, Dale.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Get off yer 'high jet' eh?
Dark, reedy, round, full, airy, whispy, tongued, slurred, whatever. It takes a village to raise a fluter!
Arbo
Diego Lolic

Post by Diego Lolic »

You are the man Dale.
G1

Post by G1 »

^Is he, now?

Just kiddin' Dale - in response to your new avatar, which begs to bear the caption, "Stand to matey, and prepare to be boarded - yarrrgh!"

I do miss the Python's kingly one. :D

Personally, I love the sound of a complex tone with strong harmonics just on the edge of breaking to the next octave, while holding fast to the lower tone... is that 'dark'? It is a bit confusing. Perhaps one o' thems that sure o' themselves can lay out short samples with descriptions to clear it up for the droolers such as me, who live in the dark spaces between enlightenment.
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Liney Bear wrote:
monkey587 wrote: I actually object to terminology that overloads the meaning of bright and dark. It is a poorly chosen term that does not describe what is actually going on. Where else, except on the C&F flute forum, does "dark" sound mean more overtones rather than lack of treble?
Well said. I have absolutely no idea what folks mean when they talk about dark and light tones, unless they mean the "brighter" tone of an Eb flute, I guess.

I understand firm and reedy pretty clearly but certainly not "dark" tone.
How about 'whispy' and 'full?' I think pretty much everyone might understand
these terms!
Denny

Post by Denny »

naw....full will never work
they'll go on for ever about full of what
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Denny wrote:naw....full will never work