Playing an F natural

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Playing an F natural

Post by kintailpipes »

How do your finger an F natural as in "Give me your Hand"?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You have to half-hole it.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

If you're referring to a D whistle, by half-holing the E hole with your middle finger:

XXXX)0 where the ) represents placing your middle finger over the top half of that hole. It takes a lot of practice to get the feel of where to place your finger to get a true F natural.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

placing your middle finger over the top half of that hole.
Top half is not the only or necessarily best option there. You can approach this in different ways.
MandoMark

Post by MandoMark »

Peter Laban wrote:
Top half is not the only or necessarily best option there. You can approach this in different ways.
Do tell...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

MandoMark wrote:
Do tell...
For one it makes quite the difference how you place your fingers on the whistle i.e. play with straight fingers or not, essentially whether you cover the hole(s) with the tip of the finger or somewhere further up. That determines what the most efficient movement for (un-)covering the half hole is.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Peter Laban wrote:
Peter is correct. You can cover either the top or bottom half and I'd meant to say bottom half which is easier for me (a case of thinking one thing and typing another :o ). But either will produce an F nat.

Peter, in saying "You can approach this in different ways," did you mean there are other ways besides half-holing the E, or are you referring to simply a choice of top or bottom when half-holing? If there are other ways to produce a consistent, true F natural, I'd like to know what they'd be.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Sure there are other ways of half holing. I play with my first knuckle over that hole, and just straightening the finger a touch lifts my finger away from the far side of the hole, making a perfect F natural.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

On three of my whistles crossfingering to get an Fnat (or the equivalent on a F or Bb whistle) also works. All of them are either Chieftains or Overtons but it doesn't work on all Chieftain or Overton whistles...

XXXXOX

I should point out that even though crossfingering _might_ work, it's very useful to know how to half-hole a note.

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I normally play with straight fingers, as Peter says. And the specific movement depends on the melody. For EFE I'd use either colomon's angle-lift, or I'd roll or slide the fingers down for the half-hole. I say fingers, because I'm moving both the B1 and B2 fingers together, though it's mostly the B2 hole that's being uncovered. For GFG I'd come down directly on the half hole with B2 covering the bottom half. This is also the easiest position for playing a ~F-nat roll.

If there are a lot of F-nats in the tune, I might switch to playing with fingertips on the bottom hand, and half-hole with the fingertip covering the right side (hand side) of the B2 hole. I think gives better control over intonation. For FE it's easy to slide the fingertip forward. But for EF it's still easier to slide/roll the fingertip down.

Another possibility is to cross-finger. Some whistles will give an 2nd register F-nat with xxxoxx, though it's usually sharp. Whether it's usable or not depends on the whistle and the melodic context.

Re. the OP question of Give Me Your Hand, I'd execute DF by simultaneously lifting B3 and rolling B2 down, and either slide up to the F or gently articulate it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

MTGuru wrote:IAnother possibility is to cross-finger. Some whistles will give an 2nd register F-nat with xxxoxx, though it's usually sharp. Whether it's usable or not depends on the whistle and the melodic context.
I tried it with the whistles where xxxxox works in the 2'nd register and I wasn't surprised that it didn't work on them. It seems the cross fingering works either in the 2'nd or the 3'rd register but not both. On those whistles I have where xxxxox works in the 2'nd register xxxoxx is WAY too sharp in the 3'rd. There is probably an explanation in the physics behind cross fingering... :)

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Ballyshannon wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:
Peter is correct. You can cover either the top or bottom half and I'd meant to say bottom half which is easier for me (a case of thinking one thing and typing another :o ). But either will produce an F nat.

Peter, in saying "You can approach this in different ways," did you mean there are other ways besides half-holing the E, or are you referring to simply a choice of top or bottom when half-holing? If there are other ways to produce a consistent, true F natural, I'd like to know what they'd be.
So that's how you're supposed to do it! I half-hole by covering one side (the right side) of the hole... it works fine, but it's a little tricky to do sometimes... especially when I'm playing outdoors in subzero temperatures. :lol:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

MTGuru wrote:
Re. the OP question of Give Me Your Hand, I'd execute DF by simultaneously lifting B3 and rolling B2 down, and either slide up to the F
this is how I do it. FWIW.