FS Terry McGee GLP keyless D in blackwood (sold!)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gododdin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FS Terry McGee GLP keyless D in blackwood (sold!)

Post by gododdin »

Hi all

Due to my very own 'credit crunch' I am regrettably selling two of my flutes.

I have a Terry Mcgee Grey Larsen Preferred keyless in blackwood, key of D, 'minimum disruption tenon', in very good condition - very slight wear to tenon cork but this could be easily replaced - has no effect on sound so I haven't bothered. This flute is very easy to fill and a pleasure to play. Well looked after - regularly cleaned and oiled - no cracks. See www.mcgee-flutes.com for more details and photos. I'll include a rigid, foam lined pistol case in the price of £340 (about $577) plus actual cost of postage to where you live.

The Rob Forbes flute is now sold....

Also a Rob Forbes keyless delrin flute in D in as-new condition complete with soft case. Rob's flutes are VERY well made and easy to play For more detail see www.forbesflutes.com. Asking £180 (about $310) plus actual cost of postage.

PM me if you're interested.

I could post some photos of the actual flutes if you want, but it's a bit of a pain with dial-up, and they look just like the ones on the above web sites.

Now all I have left is my beloved Wilkes, and NO it ain't for sale.... :)
Last edited by gododdin on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chris The Wakes

Post by Chris The Wakes »

P.M sent! :)
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

I thought I would post a couple of pics of the McGee GLP - a general shot and one showing the extent of the wear to the cork:

http://www.box.net/shared/yumvq5e94j

http://www.box.net/shared/2emyga1gz8

Hope I've done this correctly...

Cheers, G
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

If anyone is interested but thinks I'm asking too much make me a reasonable offer... :)
Flutered
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flutered »

Sounds like a reasonable price to me - I think McGee's keyless flutes new are around Euro1000+, last time I looked. I have a boxwood Rudall design of his and it plays easily enough.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

gododdin:

Unless you're desperate, don't lower the price on your McGee... I'd buy it myself if I hadn't already bought mine directly from Terry. This is a superb flute! terry actually just recently had to raise his prices due to the exchange rate. They currently list at 553 euros or $1020 (US).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

That's interesting - the Euro price must have fallen with changes in exchange rates - cos the models with tuning slide were definitely more a year or so ago. I distinctly remember they cost a good bit more than a basic Hamilton or Murray here in Ireland.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Flutered wrote:That's interesting - the Euro price must have fallen with changes in exchange rates - cos the models with tuning slide were definitely more a year or so ago. I distinctly remember they cost a good bit more than a basic Hamilton or Murray here in Ireland.
The GLP with the MDT doesn't have a tuning slide. Terry's tuning slide models are significantly more...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

Thanks all for the replies - I need to sell the flute - not sure what else I can do, except bump the post once in a while - is that acceptable practice?
Cheers
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

Still no one interested? The McGee GLP is a really nice flute - easy to fill, light in the hands, crisp ornamentation and surprisingly loud - what more could anyone want? :)
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

That's a very reasonable price for the McGee GLP, G! In case some of you don't know, Terry recently raised his prices. You would have to spend considerably more for one now-check it out!:

http://mcgee-flutes.com/orders.html

B
gododdin

Post by gododdin »

Thanks for that Mr Green... Looks like I may have to resort to ebay... :o
Cork

Post by Cork »

plunk111 wrote:...The GLP with the MDT doesn't have a tuning slide...
Oh, but the McGee GLP flute with the MDT does have a tuning slide, as that's what the MDT is all about!

That is, Minimum Disruption Tenon (MDT) is all about tuning with a minimum of acoustic disruption.

And, MDT appears to be a unique design, with thanks to Terry McGee.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

gododdin wrote:Thanks for that Mr Green... Looks like I may have to resort to ebay... :o
No, don't do that! :wink: It's only been up for 5 days now-give someone here a chance to wakeup and realize the deal you're offering on it for a little while longer. Some don't check in here too often, and might not know about your flute yet.

Someone should find it shortly and agree that it is an excellent price too, and you'll both be happy!
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Cork wrote:
plunk111 wrote:...The GLP with the MDT doesn't have a tuning slide...
Oh, but the McGee GLP flute with the MDT does have a tuning slide, as that's what the MDT is all about!

That is, Minimum Disruption Tenon (MDT) is all about tuning with a minimum of acoustic disruption.

And, MDT appears to be a unique design, with thanks to Terry McGee.
Well said, Cork, but technically Pat is also partly correct. Terry's MDT design doesn't have a separate tuning slide. But it doesn't need one, either. The upper tenon is longer than normal to facilitate tuning. My ironwood GLP MDT flute is in tune with the head pulled out about 3/16 of an inch, give or take a bit. Pat also mentioned that Terry's flutes with separate tuning slides are more expensive. I asked Terry about adding one to my flute and he said that it would cost the difference between the new pricing of an MDT flute and one with a slide, $400. I decided that my flute plays just fine as it is, and that I don't need a fancy silver tuning slide just to look like the other keyless flute people look, lol. They're also lighter in weight for not having all that metal in them :).

I have been thinking about selling my GLP since I don't play it as much as I used to before I got my Hall and Son from Jon, but after reading this thread and thinking about my answer here, I don't think I'll get rid of it just yet. Man, Terry makes a great flute.

Gododdin, good luck selling your flute. That's a heck of a good price.

Finally, for those who want to know more about how the MDT works, here's a link to Terry's explanation of it:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Minimum-Dis ... Tenon.html
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.