sacred music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KM4SX
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KM4SX »

One of the reasons I bought a low D whistle was to play it in church. I am looking for some nice arrangements of traditional hymns, maybe with a celtic flavor to them, maybe not. We have a great pianist, so the accompanyment can be easy to hard. The whistle part should be melodic and reasonably easy. If you know where I can go to get some nice sacred music, please let me know.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

you should ask Walden!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't know if this will suit your purpose or not: http://free.gentle.org/users/gospelhymn ... artoon.htm
BobP

Post by BobP »

Cyber Hymnal says that they have over 3800 hymns on their site in various formats. Give them a try at:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I just played whistle (in various keys) with an organist for a church christmas revelry and you will find that most hymns can be played. I ended up just figuring which notes I needed and then writing out the music/or memorizing the tune. I was suprised how many were in D.
Believe me, you will have fun.
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-12-30 18:11, claudine wrote:
you should ask Walden!
That was precisely my first thought!

:smile:

Welcome to C&F, KM4SX!

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Flamman

Post by Flamman »

I took up whistle, not with the idea that I would play it in sessions, where I'd rather play my bodhran -- hey, I'm a drummer -- but that I would play it occasionally in church. Finally got my chance this Christmas, playing "The First Noel" and "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" in a duet with my daughter (she, on tenor recorder).

If I played low D (sadly, still struggling), I would choose the following hymns:

* "The King of Love My Shepherd Is," music attributed to the Irish saint, Columba. Really easy, but lovely.
* "Amazing Grace." A natural.
* "Morning Has Broken" (or "The Breastplate of St. Patrick," sung to the tune of "Morning Has Broken.")

If you're Catholic, check out the Mass parts. I've just noticed that all of the parts of "Mass of God's Promise" lend themselves easily to the whistle treatment. The Celtic Alleluia is another natural.
"Hang by your thumbs and write when you get work."
- Bob and Ray
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

And don't forget Slane (Be Thou My Vision/Lord of All Hopefulness)...another whistle natural that would sound lovely on a low. Also Cwm Rhondda (Guide Me O, Thou Great Jehovah) and The Ash Grove (The Master Hath Come).

Redwolf
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-12-31 09:12, Flamman wrote:
* "The King of Love My Shepherd Is," music attributed to the Irish saint, Columba. Really easy, but lovely.
I would love to play this, but can't find the notation! Do you know where it is?

Michael Card sings this on his album "Star Kindler" and it is just gorgeous. John Mock and Chris Abell play whistle on the album and I truly love it.

<blockquote><i>Good Shepherd may I sing Thy praise within Thy house forever...</i></blockquote>

Just gorgeous.

K
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hymns work really well on the street,
in fact. Maybe it isn't a hymn,
but we do 'I'll fly away.'
Also 'Gonna lay down my sword and
shield, down by the river side...'
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

The hymn, "My Shepherd will Supply my Need", also sounds great on the whistle. Another one which works is, "It is well with my Soul". The Moravian hymn, "Morning Star" is also workable on the whistle, but I don't know how it would sound on a low D.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The vast majority of church hymns are suited to the whistle. Just the melody straight from the hymnal. Here is a link to a page with recordings of some of our fellow whistlers playing sacred music on whistle.

http://www.freewebs.com/praiseclips/
Reasonable person
Walden
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-31 11:02, Kim in Tulsa wrote:
On 2002-12-31 09:12, Flamman wrote:
I would love to play this, but can't find the notation! Do you know where it is?

Michael Card sings this on his album "Star Kindler" and it is just gorgeous. John Mock and Chris Abell play whistle on the album and I truly love it.

<blockquote><i>Good Shepherd may I sing Thy praise within Thy house forever...</i></blockquote>

Just gorgeous.

K
Hi Kim,

They may have it at CyberHymnal. If not, if you can arrange to borrow a copy of the Episcopal Hymnal 1980, it's in there (I'm not sure what key it's in...I can check later though, if you want). I was going to link you to the Anglican Cyber Hymnal at episcopalnet, but it seems to be no longer in business :sad:

Redwolf
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

Seems that this cyberhymnal has changed its URL, but when I when to episcopalnet, I found
http://www.episcopalnet.org/CHymnal/ACH/index.html I had some trouble bringing up the hymns there, but it seems basically functional. Redwolf, thanks for this lead; I'd not yet known about this resource for hymns.
Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing;
praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
KM4SX

Post by KM4SX »

The cyberhmnal looks great, but how do you look at the hymns? I see a .pdf order form. Do you have to mail that to unlock whatever it is to get the printed music?