New to C & F

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Achill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New to C & F

Post by Achill »

Hello everyone,
I've been enjoying everyone's thoughts, tips and antics for awhile now and am now a new (participating) member and wanted to say hello. I've been playing flute for a couple years and have picked up some great advice from many of your postings, thank you for that!
FYI, I play a Hammy as well as a Jon Cochran flute...love them both :)
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Welcome!!!!
Cork
antispam: No

Post by Cork »

Yes, welcome!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Welcome on board!
What tunes do you like/want to play?
What interested you in the wooden flute?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Be welcome here!

Sounds like you have good taste as well as good flutes! :D

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Welcome to the site!

May I ask you a question? Do you play ITM on another instrument? If not, what brought you to the music and to flute in particular?

I have a number of reasons for asking, which I can expand on if you care.

Thanks, and again, welcome!
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

A Hammy and a Cochran--fine flutes...

Oh yes, and a hearty welcome.

Cheers,

Jason
Achill

Post by Achill »

Cubitt wrote:Welcome to the site!

May I ask you a question? Do you play ITM on another instrument? If not, what brought you to the music and to flute in particular?

Hi Cubitt,
I had played bodhran/bones for years and as much as I love Irish rhythm instruments, I wanted to be part of the melody. I suppose being a percussionist has helped me with rhythm and appreciating that it is crucial when playing with others.
So, I fell in love with the flute. I began whistle, until I could purchase a quality flute and slowly transitioned to flute, while still keeping up with the whistle. Believe me, I have a long road ahead of me of learning, and I can't wait:)
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Achill wrote:
Cubitt wrote:Welcome to the site!

Hi Cubitt,
I had played bodhran/bones for years and as much as I love Irish rhythm instruments, I wanted to be part of the melody. I suppose being a percussionist has helped me with rhythm and appreciating that it is crucial when playing with others.
So, I fell in love with the flute. I began whistle, until I could purchase a quality flute and slowly transitioned to flute, while still keeping up with the whistle. Believe me, I have a long road ahead of me of learning, and I can't wait:)
Enthusiasm is a great motivator, and at least you know the music. How did you get into it in the first place?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Achill

Post by Achill »

I.D.10-t wrote:Welcome on board!
What tunes do you like/want to play?
What interested you in the wooden flute?
Hi there,
Oh so many tunes tunes I love and want to learn, I don't even know where to begin. I know that I need to work on embouchure, breath control, etc, before I can be at a point I want to be to tackle some of the tunes out there. I guess my thinking is that I'd rather have 10 tunes down really well, than 100 that are unbearable for myself and others to listen to:)
My interest in the wooden flute? That is such a huge question for me, overall, I would have to say just feeling a "connection" with the instrument/love-respect for the music and emotional outlet perhaps.
Growing up listening to Matt Molloy didn't hurt either...