Writer's question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Writer's question

Post by Flyingcursor »

OK, for you writers out there I'm sure you've all faced this question.

When you write erotica do you think that the plot and characters should be equal to, greater than, or less than the graphic sexual descriptions?

What if you're limited to 3500 words per story and your audience is a bunch of 18-21 y/o college students with high libido's and little life experience?

And as a side note, is there a web site listing all the euphemisms for human...parts?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Oh, come on. On the internetweb? That's for p*rn? Of course there is.
Don't ask me where, though.

You could try checking out "Clean Sheets". I'm not posting a link. You'll find it.

Plot? Characters? He speaketh in riddles.

If you find the graphic descriptions difficult, you could try getting the characters themselves to recount them. Oh, hell, I can't resist:

If it gets too hard, try putting it in the mouth of one of the characters. :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Pr0n, even when you spell it 'e-r-o-t-i-c-a', is extremely difficult to combine with literature, as in art-writing. The demands of each are very nearly contradictory.

In particular, the characters are almost invariably two dimensional. As far I've observed, the only character in the entire corpus who occassionaly breaks through into the third D is O, the POV character in The Story of O, and even there all the other characters in the book are flatter than flat.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I don't care how you label it, a story populated with cardboard-cut-out characters and no real plot will only hold anyone's interest for so long.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lambchop

Re: Writer's question

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:When you write erotica do you think that the plot and characters should be equal to, greater than, or less than the graphic sexual descriptions?
<snerk!> :lol:

I believe the PC to GSD ratio varies somewhat depending on the intended audience. Men prefer predominantly GSD, while women prefer a bit more PC development. The women's GSD needs to be from a female perspective, too.
What if you're limited to 3500 words per story
Be concise.

and your audience is a bunch of 18-21 y/o college students with high libido's and little life experience?
You don't want them breaking up into hysterics. Besides, isn't kiddie lichen illegal? Best check the legal ages in your state first . . . and make sure there are no precocious 15-year-olds in the class.

Seriously, I'd go for intricate and elegant, yet relatively tame situations, rather than something . . . err . . . more prurient.

You might even want to make it humorous. Female English major discovers just how handy geeky computer engineers can be, for instance, when her business major boyfriend and her hard drive dump her at the same time.

Oooh, yes! Lots of potential there! Yum! You can go on for almost the whole thing using computer repair to foreshadow what will happen, then end with her slooooowly removing . . . one by one . . . millimeter by millimeter . . . all the multicolored pens in his pocket protector . . . while he . . . explains . . . just . . . how . . . a slide rule . . . works . . .

See? Isn't that excellent? Chiffettes everywhere are going into happy mode.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jack

Post by Jack »

peeplj wrote:I don't care how you label it, a story populated with cardboard-cut-out characters and no real plot will only hold anyone's interest for so long.

--James
It only takes about 10 minutes.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

peeplj wrote:I don't care how you label it, a story populated with cardboard-cut-out characters and no real plot will only hold anyone's interest for so long.
Just long enough, no doubt.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Jack wrote:

--James
It only takes about 10 minutes.

Good thing you're gay, then. :wink:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Jack

Post by Jack »

It's a very good thing. :)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Jack wrote:It's a very good thing. :)
Women think so, yes. They have to worry about one less jackrabbit.
Cotelette d'Agneau
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

will the story involve mermaids?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

Lambchop wrote:... then end with her slooooowly removing . . . one by one . . . millimeter by millimeter . . . all the multicolored pens in his pocket protector . . . while he . . . explains . . . just . . . how . . . a slide rule . . . works . . .

See? Isn't that excellent? Chiffettes everywhere are going into happy mode.
That is excellent.
djm

Post by djm »

Dear Prurience, won't you come out to play.

- Almost Lennon

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Flyingcursor wrote: You might even want to make it humorous. Female English major discovers just how handy geeky computer engineers can be, for instance, when her business major boyfriend and her hard drive dump her at the same time.
No doubt her business major boyfriend only had a floppy disk, and only 3.5" at that... :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I always think that character trumps everything else, but I'm a snob. Considering the audience and the wordcount, you should use familiar (read: cliche) characters so you don't have to develop them too much, and lots of action, both hot and non hot. I also happen to think that less is more in erotica, in that too graphic is a turn off. Your audience will be to impatient for subtle, but try to strike a balance.