Saturday mornings

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

hyldemoer wrote:
but I spent Saturday mornings helping my mother catch up with her housework. (Housework belonged to females back then.
When guys got a day off they got a day off. When women got a day off they tried to "catch up", or so it seemed.)
A man works from sun to sun.
A woman's work is never done.

Actually, I had 4 brothers, 2 parents, and 1 grandfather living with us. There was no woman's work. There was just work. Even if I would have had sisters, there would have still been "just work." My father's family, even though they were of stubborn German descent, had always believed in equality of the sexes.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

When I was a kid I watched cartoons - Huckleberry Hound, the Jetsons, the Flintstones, Top Cat, Mighty Mouse, etc.

Now I get up at 5:45 am, get dressed, have breakfast, fix a lunch, and head off to work.

My days off are Monday and Tuesday, that's when I do housework and maybe have a few hours to myself.
Charlene
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Today I made espresso from 6:30AM to 1:00PM. That's pretty typical.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Congratulations wrote:Today I made espresso from 6:30AM to 1:00PM. That's pretty typical.
You might want to consider investing in a faster espresso machine....

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Ah, I'm so glad you asked, Jack. :D

This morning I awoke around 5 a.m., and lay in my sleeping bag pondering the world's problems. Around 6:30 or so Mrs. Badger woke up. We crawled out of the back of the truck, dressed rapidly (it was a bit chilly and rainy), fed Rocky Dog, fired up the coleman stove for some scrambled eggs and tea and oatmeal.

Then we all hiked into a canyon which none of us had visited before, struck stupid-happy by the glow-in-the-dark green, yellow, pink, orange, red aspens. Climbed for an hour or two until we had some good calf-burn going, hardly feeling it for being so absorbed in the beauty, then back to the truck, loaded up camp, and drove out to...

oh, but by then it was afternoon.

This scenario is tragically non-typical. A typical saturday morning goes a bit more like this: Get up. Feed the chickens. Do grad work. Go for a walk down to the stopsign and back. Do some more grad work. sigh

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

izzarina wrote:Typically, Saturday mornings are what are known as "French Toast Day" here at Casa Izz. So, we spend the beginning of the morning on that. Then it's our major cleanup day, so we spend the rest of the morning doing a huge cleaning of the whole house. Fun, fun fun! :)
Let's see: massive family cooking project, followed by major, house-wide cleanup. Sounds about right. You must cook like I do. :lol:
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My brother and I always got up early on Sat morning just so we could watch the Three Stooges and Laurel&Hardy films that were on before cartoons started playing at around 9.

Now I get up and go to work, just like every other day of the week. Unless, like today, I take the day off and actually get to sleep later. It's a rare day that I get to sleep in since church for me is 8 am. on Sun.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

- I get to sleep in two hours later than usual, drive a bus to the Vashon Island ferry and ride to the island- and spend the shift tooling up and down through rural & semi-rural land taking riders to shop and to ferries. Its fairly mellow in contrast to weekday work scrimmaging with heavy traffic.

-Wildlife is more apparent here than in the city, orcas seen infrequently, eagles & porpoise more, and belted kingfishers by the ton. Views overboard sometimes show huge sun stars, crabs, small sharks and jellyfish. This work is almost as nice as being off duty.
Last edited by brianormond on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

brianormond wrote: This work is almost as nice as being off duty.
I envy you.
I'd like to live somewhere I've dreamt about being on vacation at.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Nice it is, and it'd be fine to do it daily instead of once a week. Still its nice to get an installment of bliss on occasion.
djm

Post by djm »

Every day is Saturday night, but I can't wait for <A TARGET="NEW" HREF="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=602F1Db-uLY">Sunday morning</A> ...

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I get up. Make coffee. Take a shower and spend a few hours either playing dulcimer or goofing around on the computer. Then I'm off to the gym to continue losing weight and getting in shape before February.

I also play with the dogs for a bit.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I reduce my bottle of ibuprofin by four or five more tablets, then pass out again...
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I'm usually the first up on Saturdays. I generally start a load of laundry, refill the bird feeders in the back yard and put out a few peanuts for the jays and squirrels, then fix myself some coffee and breakfast. I might turn on the TV to watch the weather report, but more often I just grab my iPod and listen to some tunes while I'm eating. After breakfast, I generally read whatever book I'm currently working on until my wife gets up and starts talking to me, at which point I have to put down the book and turn off the iPod.

Of course, that all assumes it's not a Saturday when I'm going hiking. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."