Tonight's Dinner (Redneck Gourmet)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My ancestors on the farm had many a meal like the one pictured. They slaughtered their own hogs, raised chickens, and grew corn and some wheat, so they had everything it takes to make such a meal. However, up north in Indiana they didn't call the gruel made from corn meal "grits" or "polenta". I don't remember corn meal ever being served in the southern equivalent of grits. Corn meal paste was hardened into blocks, cut into slabs, and fried in lard. We called it "mush", although it is identical to the polenta I have seen in the stores.

As a kid I liked stone-ground wheat made into a hot cereal for breakfast. I never got hungry in the morning at school when I had the hot wheat cereal, whereas with more refined cereals in a box, I was hungry before lunch time came around. Now we have all kinds of cereal options, and I think the most nutritious varieties are those that are made from multiple grains, including wheat, oats, triticale, rye, corn, etc. I usually make quite bit in a double boiler (3 parts water to one part grain) so that I don't have to watch or stir it to keep it from sticking or burning on the bottom of the pan. The resulting cooked cereal resembles the corn grits in the photo. I keep a covered bowl of this cooked cereal in the refrigerator, and I warm it up in the microwave when I am ready to eat.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

I like butter and jelly mixed in with hot grits. Yummy

But then, I do put sugar and then jelly in my oatmeal. With some really buttery toast.... that is sometimes supper.

Cheese grits are truly the best though.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

I take a page from polenta when I make my grits. I start with an onion/celery/garlic sweat, then the water. Boil. Add grits. Cover. Simmer. Stir every 5 minutes for twenty minutes.
Add cheese.
'Sgood.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Doug_Tipple wrote:... I usually make quite bit in a double boiler (3 parts water to one part grain) so that I don't have to watch or stir it to keep it from sticking or burning on the bottom of the pan. The resulting cooked cereal resembles the corn grits in the photo. I keep a covered bowl of this cooked cereal in the refrigerator, and I warm it up in the microwave when I am ready to eat.
Mmmmmmmmmm.... ad a generous pat of butter and a heaping spoon of brown sugar and you've got a breakfast that'll get you through a morning with a smile on your face!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Hey, I have that same coffee mug! :)

Lambchop: I just saw "Red Eye Gravy" at the store yesterday. What on earth is that? And, yes, I am a transplant to the South (as I'm sure I just proved). :-D
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The difference between grits an polenta is that grits is often made with hominy (Corn that has been boiled in a base and hulled) and the grind of grits has traditionally been larger. If grits is a corn porridge, atole would be it's gruel counterpart. Cornmeal mush still has all of the husk and germ of the kernel and is cooked to about the same consistency as grits, but without the preparation in basic liquid, it is not a source of niacin. I have no idea what the big deal with polenta is, its preparation seems to be a pain and the fancy Italian name doubles the price. In the past, it seems that polenta included other grains, but that no longer seems like it is true.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:Oh, Nano, do try to keep it PG.
What? :wink:

That was your 4K post, BTW. Grits for everyone!!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Flyingcursor approves of grits. And ham bisquits. And eggs.

They may resemble cream of wheat but they're nothing like it.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

BigDavy wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Oatmeal is a little sweeter. Grits is, yes, more savory. It is usually eaten with salt and pepper. It is NEVER eaten with sugar. Gack!
Somebody once explained to me the difference between porridge - or oatmeal, as you'd call it - and grits. Can't remember what it was. Sugar on porridge? Ach! That's the kind of thing the English would do!
Sugar on porridge - no. Jam or honey yes :D

David
I'm a southerner born and raised, and I put sugar on grits. So there.

As for oatmeal, it's currently my favorite quick breakfast: oatmeal with walnuts and fresh blueberries, sweetened with a bit of pure maple syrup. Yum!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

One thing that we have been doing now that the temperature is cooler is make Oatmeal. The night before we take the steel cut oats and add some rolled barley, rye, ground flax, and what ever else that looks like it will go well and add the water to it to soak over night (cuts down cooking time). I think that we are having Mango in it tomorrow. I'll have to try the walnuts and syrup next week after we have been to the store.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

Cook up a pot of grits. Spread half in a cookie sheet to a thickness of about 1/4" set aside and let it set up. Take the other half add a hand full of cotton and ground up calves liver, mix together until it forms a thick dough paste, Take yer fishing rod and go down to the rivah, form some of the dough paste on yer hook and toss it in the rivah. Catch either a catfish or carp, go home, clean it and fry it, slice the the grits on the cookie sheet, call them polenta, fry them after you do the fish and use bacon grease.
IMO the only oatmeal to eat is fresh cooked steel cut oats, even presoaking dilutes the flavor and texture. Presoaked makes good bait though.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

jsluder wrote:
BigDavy wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: Somebody once explained to me the difference between porridge - or oatmeal, as you'd call it - and grits. Can't remember what it was. Sugar on porridge? Ach! That's the kind of thing the English would do!
Sugar on porridge - no. Jam or honey yes :D

David
I'm a southerner born and raised, and I put sugar on grits. So there.

As for oatmeal, it's currently my favorite quick breakfast: oatmeal with walnuts and fresh blueberries, sweetened with a bit of pure maple syrup. Yum!
I'm a generation removed from the highlands but, if memory serves me right Scots are generally taught to not put sugar in the porridge. I never understood why exactly that's considered bad form, but I've always followed that rule.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
G1

Post by G1 »

^Well, for starters... if it's sweet and tasty - you're likely to eat more than your share. :D

Garlic/onion/butter/cheese/bacon grits... ohhhhh, yeah!

Oats just about any way from bannocks to bakery - as long as it involves butter and sugar! Mmmmmmm...

There goes my diet! Off to the fridge...
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Oh, Nano, do try to keep it PG.
What? :wink:

That was your 4K post, BTW. Grits for everyone!!
Oh. Well, then.

8)
Coffee

Post by Coffee »