Dixappointed

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I am happily Burke-free and likely to remain so.
Then one day you'll see her across a crowded room. Sleek, shiny, shapely and svelte. Her long, elegant tuning collar glistening in the candlelight. Her toneholes inviting the caress of your fingertips...
whistle erotica - maybe there should be a sticky ;-)

stay hoopy,
Mike
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Herodotus wrote:Call no man happy until he is dead.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

MTGuru, you should probably win some kind of prize for that post, I really enjoyed that, hahaha. making a point is one thing....taking the time to make it like that is commendable
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Herodotus wrote:Call no man happy until he is dead.
Then take his Burke?
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I have a Dixon soprano D non-tunable and a Dixon soprano D tunable. They both have a very fragile E.
Perhaps it's me (I am a beginner) but if I try to play the E with a bit more than a very very light breath, it goes immediately to the upper octave.
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

gerardo1000 wrote:I have a Dixon soprano D non-tunable and a Dixon soprano D tunable. They both have a very fragile E.
Perhaps it's me (I am a beginner) but if I try to play the E with a bit more than a very very light breath, it goes immediately to the upper octave.
I wonder if it's the design of the fipple that causes this problem. I don't have both whistles, but from the look of it the tunable Dixon polymer is basically the non-tunable one, with a modified body that has the tuning slide. If so, the problem must lie elsewhere. I have *not* read about this problem with the Dixon Trad, which seems to get pretty uniformly positive reviews. The Trad also has an ABS head, and it would certainly make sense for him to use the very same head, but with the brass body.

I was reading Guido Gonzato's web pages earlier today, and noticed his statement that if he'd gotten a Dixon Trad from the start, he probably wouldn't have started making whistles.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The Dixon trad is a very good whistle - no problems as mentioned in this thread at all from my experience. Granted, I only have one Dixon trad, so my sample is limited...but why buy another when the one I have is great.

My only complaint is that it's too quite for the large session we sometimes have (which includes two boxes - one button one piano). But for a normal session with 6-8 instruments, it's more than fine.

I agree with Peter that a Dixon trad is more edgy than sweet, but I like that....perhaps I have an underlying aggression issue.

Eric
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

...That's what they all say, but you're obviously in denial, Bloo. Leading the rakish life of a Burke-free whistle bachelor. Jumping from whistle to whistle with no real commitment - .....". And before you know it, you'll be chiff over fipple in love with the Burke of your dreams...

creepy... : )

Deisman
I'm on it...
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

jemtheflute wrote:Go Gonzato. Less than Dixon and better IMO.
For the record, I've returned the Dixon polymer, and ordered a Gonzato G whistle. I'm pretty happy with the Feadog D and the LBW, so I decided there's no reason to get another high D whistle right now. But I do think a G would be very nice, and less piercing to innocent bystanders.
ubizmo

Postscript

Post by ubizmo »

When I returned the Dixon polymer to Hobgoblin, I said they could choose whether to refund my money or do an exchange for a Dixon Trad. Although the Trad is $4 cheaper, they could apply that to the added shipping cost. That's what they chose to do, and the Trad came today. I'm expecting the Gonazto G whistle pretty soon.

But the reason I'm resurrecting this thread is to give it a happy ending. The Dixon Trad is wonderful! It has a nice full-bodied sound that continues into the second octave, and the second octave plays easily, without that "lifeguard whistle" feeling. It's a pleasure to play it, and once I started I didn't want to stop. I no longer feel an urge to buy more high D whistles.

I hope Guido's alto G gets here soon though......
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I think it's great that you got the Dixon trad instead of a refund. It's a great whistle - my favorite low/medium volume whistle.

Eric
The Laughing Imp

Re: Postscript

Post by The Laughing Imp »

ubizmo wrote:without that "lifeguard whistle" feeling
I find that statement offensive. I'm quite fond of my lifeguard whistle. You should hear me play "Danny Boy" on it.
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
free-feet

Re: Postscript

Post by free-feet »

ubizmo wrote:I no longer feel an urge to buy more high D whistles
I wouldn't worry too much, as most on this forum will tell you, the feeling's only temporary. WhOA will be back soon enough in your life and you'll once again be happily sifting the internet for your next purchase! :D

Happy whistling, though, Dixon T's are nice.
walrii

Post by walrii »

MTGuru wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I am happily Burke-free and likely to remain so.
That's what they all say, but you're obviously in denial, Bloo. Leading the rakish life of a Burke-free whistle bachelor. Jumping from whistle to whistle with no real commitment - tonight a Sindt, tomorrow an Overton, maybe a pretty red-topped Generation or two on the side. Seeking oh-so-sweet whistle pleasures in seedy pubs and private rooms with whistles of the evening.

Then one day you'll see her across a crowded room. Sleek, shiny, shapely and svelte. Her long, elegant tuning collar glistening in the candlelight. Her toneholes inviting the caress of your fingertips. Her black-tipped windway begging you to just put your lips together and blow. Her smooth, silky voice whispering "play me". And before you know it, you'll be chiff over fipple in love with the Burke of your dreams.
MT, I'll buy the screen rights if you'll agree to do the screen play. Maybe we can get Bogart and Ingrid to play Bloomfield and the Burke. "Murphysboro Melody" will do for a working title.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
WARD1066

Post by WARD1066 »

MTGuru wrote:Her smooth, silky voice whispering "play me".
Quite restrained of you MT not to have ventured down the more obvious utterance she might have whispered. Your willpower is impressive.