WTT: tapered bores in wood finger tubes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Did you catch all that tyghress?
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Tyghress, it is rather heady stuff, isn't it? :wink:

Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
dereck

Post by dereck »

here's some historic futes.
to give you a beter idea of how thay were made
http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/uwl.html#Woodwind
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

... Laser boring tool ... steel stepped drill ...hardened steel tapered reamer

metal lathe...with a steady rest at the flying end...bees wax and a light-weight oil to make the wood vs. rest friction tolerable...taper attachment for your lathe...boring bar ...taper attachment not capable of feeding 15"...It'll get a bit jumpy once your bar get's fully extended

after initial reaming. Recheck the bore, possibly ream again if the wood 'moved' from the first pass

fantastic gundrill ...This thingie has a carbide tip...air channel down the middle, with an adaptor fitting ...ball bearing steadyrest...

tapered or belled reamer...using 5/16" or 3/8" round mild steel rod for the shaft, and HSS for the blades...first anneal it by heating and allowing to cool slowly...Flux the channels ...Set the blades in the channels and bind with iron wire, being careful to keep the blades seated at 90 deg to the perpendicular tangent...insulating refractory brick...quench the assembly in oil...grind and lap the cutting edges... feathering disc ... progressively finer sandpaper cones over the rod and spin it inside the bore...Be careful not to get it jammed
Guys, I don't think I'm supposed to be reading stuff like this at work! (fanning my fevered brow)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

T, it's Ok to READ it, just not Ok to DO it.
Elkcreek

Post by Elkcreek »

The following is a reply and thank you to Serpent for his advice. I just couldn't resist wording it this way after Tyghress' comments.

Serpent,
I caught what you were saying in your first post. It wouldn't be the first time I laid a hot rod across the face of the ol' Hay-Budden and applied the cross pien.
I used to have a big Johnson until an Amishman got his hands on it and wouldn't let go. It's in Indiana now!
I've stacked more than a few soft firebrick in my time too. Layin' yer black iron pipe makes for good burners.
I agree that electric is not the way to go when you can make it a quickie with gas.
One question I have is this: Do you keep your quenching pan aligned to magnetic north so when you dip yer rod it doesn't warp?
I think that I'll just wrap my tapered rod with sand paper and stick in the stepped hole and see what happens after a few rotations.
Thanks for the advice, Serpent.
John
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

(OT*) OK, I won't tell you of the Indonesian trick to bore 4-5 ft long one-piece wind music pipes without machinery or electricity, unless you ask me : it's real low (?) tech.**

*OT because the trick does mostly straight bores. It would take some high-tech elaboration from this to make it a taper driller...

** No, it's not termites...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

On 2002-12-27 08:11, Tony wrote:
Paul, what are your steps?
Drilling first to find center then turining the 1x1 ? or turning the 1x1 and boring it after?
I first mark the diagonals on the ends of the 1x1 to roughly find the centers. Then I turn the square into what my wife calls a "stick"-- an approximately 1" diameter dowel. This gets cut into the 2 halves of the whistle, and then the hole is bored ( this in itself takes a number of very precise steps).
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

John. . .happily I'm at home now. . .I can read stuff like that and not worry that someone (other than Tyghre who I hope DOES read stuff like this) is looking over my shoulder.

Zoob, I'm all ears (and whiskers and a tail, but lets not get picky). How do they bore their low tech, non-termitic holes?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

termitic... sounds like a word found in an insurance policy.

Zoob, is a small sharp stone driven into the end of a bamboo shoot considered machinery?
serpent

Post by serpent »

A tapered reamer turned directly by hand is not a machine - it is a tool. Turned with any sort of movable mechanical aid, (e.g. lever, gear, friction drive, wind or water, gasoline, diesel or electric motor, etc., does not apply to a fixed aid such as a tee handle), makes the entire apparatus a machine belonging to the class "machinery".
... any questions?
:grin:
serpent (in the garden, to some...)
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

The indonesian bit. And yeah, I guess you could call it a "bit".

A sort of a metal dart. The front end is pointy, with honed faces, a bit like a crossbow's projectile. The rear end bears,er, how you call these little wing things on darts ? Rudders ? These are twisted, like on a rocket, so the "missile" gets a spin with motion.
So you take your wood rod, sort of pre-drilled throughout with a small hole; this is done anyway you want; can be a bow-string rotator and a hard long tool if you want to keep it low-tech.
Now you put the metal "dart" at one end of you pre-drilled tube, with the pointed head facing to the opposite.
All this is sunk in a fast water stream : basically, a creek. Water gets around the dart, spins it and pushes it at the same time inside the wood.
A few days later, voilà : perfect cold (and cooled) machining at extremely low speed. The strange thing is it's straight!

Serp' -- this gets in which class : tool, machinery, or erosion ? :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2002-12-28 13:21 ]</font>
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've seen Dave Copley's tapered reamers, he makes it look so easy. They're not that complicated. A strip of steel, cut the tapered angle with a metal cutting bandsaw and sharpen.
You could go to any local machine shop and have it made - doesn't cost much.
This really depends on if you're going into production with it though.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Serp... you know the 'machinery' thing was just a joke... right?
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2002-12-29 08:27, Tony wrote:
Serp... you know the 'machinery' thing was just a joke... right?
Tony, one thing I never joke about is machinery! I have far too great a reverence for the Holiness of the Drill Press, (ar, ar, get it? Knee slapper that!) the venerated Smoothness of the End Mill, to ever make light of such mysteries! :roll:
ROFLMAO, tears streaming...

Zoob, I think what you've described is one of the Deeper Mysteries. I must retire to my shop with a Guiness or four, to meditate...
:grin:
serp
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"