Now where will Berkeley's homeless eat?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Now where will Berkeley's homeless eat?

Post by The Weekenders »

[story]

This is just too funny. This is a hugely popular store in Berkeley but the one thing I always noticed were all the street people hanging around, especially near the coffee bar area.

But I guess it finallly got too much even for the most generous and well-meaning....
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Is sampling an apricot taking a bite and putting it back, or scarfing the whole thing? And notice the guy didn't say just how much cream and sugar he helped himself to...
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

People eating in supermarkets is one of my pet peeves. I don't mind things that are sold by the basket/box/whatever. When my daughter was younger, she always wanted tomatoes, so we bought grape tomatoes, which are sold by the pint. So we got her a pint of grape tomatoes, which scanned as a pint no matter how much she ate. Probably the most common thing sold by the pound that I see people eating is grapes. Oh, yeah, the store will never miss a few grapes, or a quarter pound or so, but we all pay for them. . .

So sampling apricots isn't a problem for this guy. What's next, will he sample a gallon of gas to see if he should fill up? If he can't tell a good apricot from a crappy one, maybe he shouldn't be buying them, and if he has a problem with the quality at this store, maybe he shouldn't shop there.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

If you sample, you should have your sample offered to you, or ask first. No exceptions. Anything else is ill-mannered self-entitlement. Boorish petty theft.

If you sampling freeloaders out there don't like my opinion, too bad. I'm stickin' to it.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:If you sample, you should have your sample offered to you, or ask first. No exceptions. Anything else is ill-mannered self-entitlement.

If you sampling freeloaders out there don't like my opinion, too bad. I'm stickin' to it.
I only sample the tp, how else are you going to be able to tell if it is soft enough. There can be a quite a bit of variability between rolls too. But I always put them back when I'm done.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Go lie down by your dish. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Could you imagine someone setting up a grill and cooking up a chunk of burger to see how it tastes?

How could the guy not know he was stealing? What a pig!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Seriously, there is a much bigger and chronic problem behind this story, that the sound-bit hungry and/or lazy reporter didn't bother to mention.

People have been grazing for years in markets, and Berkeley has a LOT of homeless cum runaway types and the Bowl is in proximity to their favorite haunts.
dwest

Post by dwest »

The Weekenders wrote:Seriously, there is a much bigger and chronic problem behind this story, that the sound-bit hungry and/or lazy reporter didn't bother to mention.

People have been grazing for years in markets, and Berkeley has a LOT of homeless cum runaway types and the Bowl is in proximity to their favorite haunts.
That and the seeming belief that rules are always for the other guys.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I'll have to try this sampling thing next visit to the class-6. (aka: liquor store)
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Cofaidh wrote:I'll have to try this sampling thing next visit to the class-6. (aka: liquor store)
Or the gas station. Gotta make sure your car will run okay on that brand.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'm not sure where it came from, but I have always had an absolute horror of eating in the grocery store. As a child, I was never allowed to snack on the groceries in the cart. We waited until we got home.

It's so common to find opened, partly eaten packages stashed here and there that I wouldn't feel comfortable eating something that didn't need to be weighed. I would not want someone even thinking I might be stealing.
Cotelette d'Agneau
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I once saw an opened tin of sardines in the store that some one sampled. Eww...

Leaving fish and meat in the isles when someone decides that they don't want it is the biggest issue that I have seen in Minneapolis, and that is only in some stores. In DC and Minneapolis the Homeless/freegans/dumpster divers never seemed to go into grocery stores, there are many other resources for food.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."