Right hand pinkie finger: to anchor or not?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
deisman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

FWIW I use my ring finger to anchor the whistle except for hands off C and then it (pinkie) automatically jumps down to anchor. Happens automatically & don't have to be conscious of it which is a good thing as I have plenty more to focus on... : )

I'll ask my teacher what he thinks.

Hard to imagine that "pinkie" would be a word to cause unease, but unsure of the origin. I like the idea of baby toes being called pinkies - first I've heard of it.

I remember the great Katherine Hepburn always' called Spencer Tracy "Pinkie" as a nickname/endearment in the movie Adam's Rib ...FWIW.

Deisman
I'm on it...
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

Hi to all,
If you manage to get the habit to keep the pinkie anchored on the whistle; it keeps the whistle firm when all fingers are off the whistle playing a C. Just like playing it is a question of getting use to it and exercising. I did it from the beginning and it comes "naturally" to me, on the other hand playing rolls is something to work on still. Best wishes,
Ron
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I learned to use my ring finger on the bottom hole as an anchor. I understand the disadvantages, but I've tried the pinky thing and I'm not changing. I'd say it took a couple of months when I started using that finger to anchor to start feeling comfortable, and even then i'd have to stop and work through new tunes slowy at first. Now it's just a part of me.

But I would definitey try to use one or the other. I do not like that whistle just hanging out there on the C#.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

FJohnSharp wrote:I learned to use my ring finger on the bottom hole as an anchor. I understand the disadvantages, but I've tried the pinky thing and I'm not changing. I'd say it took a couple of months when I started using that finger to anchor to start feeling comfortable, and even then i'd have to stop and work through new tunes slowy at first. Now it's just a part of me.

But I would definitey try to use one or the other. I do not like that whistle just hanging out there on the C#.
What disadvantages are there? Mise confused... :really: I wasn't aware of any, for either pinky or ring finger method.

C# doesn't HAVE to be fingered with all fingers off the hole... Lots of times depending on the passage of a tune, I'll play C# OOO XXO or even OOO XXX, and guess what, nobody can tell the difference when playing up to speed, and it doesn't have to be Bothy Band speed either... If I'm playing a slow air, then I'll just use the OOO OOX with my ring finger, since that's (again) how I like to stabilize the whistle, comes out just musically fine.

Again, it's about which method works best for you, sort of like which whistle works best for you.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Get a new teacher.
Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Key_of_D wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:I learned to use my ring finger on the bottom hole as an anchor. I understand the disadvantages, but I've tried the pinky thing and I'm not changing. I'd say it took a couple of months when I started using that finger to anchor to start feeling comfortable, and even then i'd have to stop and work through new tunes slowy at first. Now it's just a part of me.

What disadvantages are there? Mise confused... :really: I wasn't aware of any, for either pinky or ring finger method.

C# doesn't HAVE to be fingered with all fingers off the hole... Lots of times depending on the passage of a tune, I'll play C# OOO XXO or even OOO XXX, and guess what, nobody can tell the difference when playing up to speed, and it doesn't have to be Bothy Band speed either... If I'm playing a slow air, then I'll just use the OOO OOX with my ring finger, since that's (again) how I like to stabilize the whistle, comes out just musically fine.

Again, it's about which method works best for you, sort of like which whistle works best for you.
For one, you have to lift the ring finger for certain notes while you can keep the pinky down all the time if you're able. Two, some people think the last finger down alters the sound too much for them. I can't hear a difference with C#, B and A. Grey Larsen has a discussion on this topic in his book.
Denny

Post by Denny »

the only answer to the question is

"yes"

if ya do put it down, only do it for C# to G or F
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

I must be deformed. I can't for the life of me, reach the damn whistle with my little finger (bys bach for us Welsh :) ), let alone stabilise the whistle with it. :-?

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
West

Post by West »

Mick Down Under wrote:I must be deformed. I can't for the life of me, reach the damn whistle with my little finger (bys bach for us Welsh :) ), let alone stabilise the whistle with it. :-?
Are you Yakuza, by any chance... ? xD
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mick Down Under wrote:I must be deformed. I can't for the life of me, reach the damn whistle with my little finger (bys bach for us Welsh :) ), let alone stabilise the whistle with it. :-?

Mick
Deformed, and Down Under.................... and Welsh. Oh dear.

The Tribulations of the Celts! (And aways in threes, naturally!)

:wink: :twisted:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

FJohnSharp wrote:For one, you have to lift the ring finger for certain notes while you can keep the pinky down all the time if you're able. Two, some people think the last finger down alters the sound too much for them. I can't hear a difference with C#, B and A. Grey Larsen has a discussion on this topic in his book.
Hardly a disadvantage me thinks. In fact, lots of times it's faster because that finger is already down, for example coming from middle D to C#, C, B, and A if you wish. C Natural works if you play your C naturals like I do, OXX XOX, so coming from middle D or going from C natural (and C#) to middle D, my ring finger is already down on the E hole, so therefore, faster, not slower, and therefore not a disadvantage me thinks...

Yes, it can alter the pitch, some notes more then others, F and G come to mind, (Even A) but I'm not arguing placing your ring finger on the E hole for these notes, since there is more then enough other fingers already on the whistle to stabilize it for F, G, and even A. In fact sometimes I even use the ring finger on the E hole for vibrato when playing A, but guess what else alters your pitch, the very wind you blow thru the whistle, in my opinion, a lot more so then having your finger down on the E hole when playing notes A, B, or C#. Again, I do not see the disadvantage. It sounds like just because you're not accustomed to it, you're against it, which isn't fair game me thinks...

As far as lifting a finger in order to sound a note, if lifting one finger is that big of a burden to you, then you're playing the wrong instrument! And for those pinky stabilizer fans, I know players who lift their pinky and their E finger at the same time when playing the E note, or when playing E rolls, no big deal to them obviously.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

It seems that there's mixed views on the issue of whistle stabilization, and the comment in one thread of "get a new teacher" really is not a help at all.

I suppose it boils down to:

1. There is no right or wrong way to stabilize the whistle.
2. Is your playing hampered by not using any whistle stabilization? If it isn't then don't worry about it.
3. If there was a reason why the teacher recommended it, then it may be worth exploring to see whether using finger stabilization can be learned and feel comfortable.
4. There are disadvantages to using the ring-finger as well as the little-finger. Simple anatomy of the hand shows that the ring finger is relatively weak when moved in isolation to the other fingers - try putting all fingers flat onto a table and then lift each finger independently, the ring finger simply isn't as snappy. However, I am sure that through practice, this can be remedied.
5. Do disadvantages or using finger stabilization outweigh the advantages?

Now, I simply cannot imagine CelticHarpie's whistle teacher saying "you must use your RH pinkie or you'll never become a good player" because he happens to be my teacher as well. I expect that he offered a suggestion to try to use the RH pinkie.

Charlie
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

[quote="charlie_butterworth"Simple anatomy of the hand shows that the ring finger is relatively weak when moved in isolation to the other fingers - try putting all fingers flat onto a table and then lift each finger independently, the ring finger simply isn't as snappy. However, I am sure that through practice, this can be remedied.

Charlie[/quote]

Right. After all we use these fingers to play the whistle.
Already have lots of practice, most of us.

Using the ring finger to stabilize works quite well, in my
experience anyhow.

One thought--one day we may play flute and need to use
that pinkie, the most common way of stabilizing
flute. So there's maybe something to be said
for learning to use it on whistle.
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

Jim,

I am sure that most forum members (including yourself) have way more experience than I do. I did try the ring finger technique, but remembering to lift it for E and F# was something I found awkward, no doubt if I had persevered, I may have got it.

I use the RH little finger, but it does appear to make rolls on E and F# a little more tricky because holding down the pinkie seems to exacerbate my weaker ring finger. I have also noticed that some players do not use any stabilization when playing the lower notes and I can see why this would be very effective, but I still haven't been able to master that technique.

In your experience, do you think that with general improvement in whistle-playing abilities, the player is more able to adapt technique?

Charlie
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

charlie_butterworth wrote:Jim,

I am sure that most forum members (including yourself) have way more experience than I do. I did try the ring finger technique, but remembering to lift it for E and F# was something I found awkward, no doubt if I had persevered, I may have got it.

I use the RH little finger, but it does appear to make rolls on E and F# a little more tricky because holding down the pinkie seems to exacerbate my weaker ring finger. I have also noticed that some players do not use any stabilization when playing the lower notes and I can see why this would be very effective, but I still haven't been able to master that technique.

In your experience, do you think that with general improvement in whistle-playing abilities, the player is more able to adapt technique?

Charlie
Concerning ring finger--it's helpful, IMO, to simply
do D scales, the ring finger coming down as one
ascends to G. And back down again. Note that
the second octave D is easier cause the low
D is already down.

Concerning the pinkie--again D scales, the pinkie
coming down as one ascends to G.

It seems to me this sort of practice will do the trick.
After you get the pinky thing in order, you may
find it stays down for the lower notes too.
But that will come on its own.