RIP

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

RIP

Post by smoro »

Liney Bear
antispam: No

Post by Liney Bear »

Sad news.

:cry:
azw

Post by azw »

Here's the article:

Death of Geraldine Molloy
Tuesday, 23 September 2008
Death of popular Westport woman

article by Neill O’Neill

THE death occurred on Sunday last of Geraldine Molloy (née Buckley) of Knockranny, Westport, following a long and courageous battle with illness. She was wife of Chieftains’ flautist, Matt Molloy.
A native of Howth, Co Dublin, Geraldine moved to Westport from Ennis two decades ago with her husband Matt and four children to open the family’s iconic pub ‘Matt Molloy’s’ on Bridge Street. They quickly settled in the local community and Geraldine became widely known and much loved in the area.
Following reposal at the family home yesterday (Monday), her funeral Mass will take place today (Tuesday) in St Mary’s Church, Westport, at 12.30pm, with burial afterwards in Aughavale Cemetery.
Former Cathaoirleach of Westport Town Council, Cllr Tereasa McGuire, described Geraldine as a ‘very lively, full-of-life person’.
“She was very glamorous and had a word for everybody. She lived life to the full and always encouraged others to do the same,” she said.
Chairman of the Westport Branch and County Board of Comhaltas Ceolteoirí Éireann, Cormac Ó Cionnaith, recalled the first time he met Geraldine and Matt – before their pub opened on May 10, 1989.
“She was a most unassuming, kind and warm-hearted person, who was so generous to everybody and always made everyone feel very welcome. She and Matt reared a lovely family, and she encouraged them to play music and get involved in the pub over the years. The loss of a mother is a particularly sad occasion and the entire Molloy family will be in our thoughts over the next few days.”
A close friend of the Molloy family from their years living in Clare spoke of Geraldine yesterday, and described her as ‘a great friend to have.’
“She was such a warm person, and was exceedingly generous with her time for everybody. Geraldine was a great mother and friend and was such a fun person, she will be sadly missed.”
Well-known singer and entertainer, Mick Lavelle, said that Geraldine was a very loving and caring person whom the Westport people took to their hearts from the very day she arrived in the town.
“She was a lovely person with a great zest for life and was a firm favourite with all music lovers that frequented Matt Molloy’s pub. Geraldine will be greatly missed by so many people, but most of all by her husband, sons and daughters, and I wish her peaceful rest.”
Geraldine is survived by her loving husband Matt, sons Peter and James, daughters Niamh and Claire, sisters Jackie and Doreen, brother Dermot, nephews, nieces, relatives and a wide circle of friends.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Deepest sympathies and condolences to Matt and his family.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Sad news Indeed. My condolences to the family.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks for passing that on; it sounds like the world lost another good one. Am keeping the Molloys and their friends in my thoughts and prayers.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

met her our last time through Westport.
Lovely woman. She'll be sorely missed.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Very sad news indeed. My thoughts are with the family.

Tonight I will toast to the memory of her, a dram of the sweetest
whisky :cry:
G1

Post by G1 »

The passing of wife and mother affects a family like no other in this life. For her children, it is the first realization of their own mortality.

A sad event. My heart goes out to her family.
*Playing a wind instrument is like walking with my ancestors. It's source is a timeless well.
*Don't believe everything you think... Yes, this means YOU!